Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downtown by Philippe Starck

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

It's a big, nicely-proportioned living room. I'd say this layout's major flaw is the lack of storage -- if you put the vacuum cleaner in the front/coat closet, and make the home office with the double closet the master bedroom, where do the linens go?

Also, what does that broken line on the West wall in the other home office signify?

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Quote Originally Posted by QHIPHOP View Post
    This is the floorplan. The drawback of this is the lack of windows (only two in the living room) and the lack of a good view. Otherwise, the layout is nice.
    fact both "bedrooms" dont have windows is kind of a killer for me. i dont think i would mind really, but at end of day, resale wise, a bit tough i bet. limiting to the pool of poetntial buyers.

This is the floorplan. The drawback of this is the lack of windows (only two in the living room) and the lack of a good view. Otherwise, the layout is nice.
    In all honesty, I really don't like this floorplan. Beyond the lack of window issue, I think you could run into resale issues. Is this a family apt? For a single person? Marketing this as a resale would be a nightmare because there are no legal bedrooms...

Also, although its a much smaller issue, hate that you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the Living Room.

Default Starck Floorplan

Maybe that's why the Downtown by Starck condo is selling at $900/ft as opposed to other developments downtown. The floorplans do not have legal bedrooms (i.e., Home Office). The no windows in the bedroom issue is what the discount is for. For the building's amenities and location, a $200/ft discount because of the unorthodox floorplan is acceptable in my book.

I see the issue with the lack of views...but since the apartment is at such a discount to its peers, it may be worth the risk of reselling to a smaller pool of future purchasers...no?

The wall to the home office is actually glass that doesn't reach the ceiling. There is no doorway...if i were to market it as a bedroom, i'd look to put up a real or dry wall.

Default Bedroom issue

Or maybe, replace the living room and make that the bedroom (to get the windows). Then move the living room or Home Theater to any of the windowless H.O.'s. Reconfiguring to get a bedroom can be doable. Maybe a good architect can make an analysis.

Default yeah but...

Why go through all of that hassle to buy something that needs all of that work to be "normal" when you will be in a building where all of your comps will still have a bad layout and trade at a discount?

The wall to the home office is actually glass that doesn't reach the ceiling. There is no doorway...if i were to market it as a bedroom, i'd look to put up a real or dry wall.
    A glass wall with space at the ceiling is what makes it "legal" to market it as a bedroon ...

The glass offers the required "light" and the space offers the requied "air" that NYC code mandates for a "bedroom" (there's a formula for minimum sf of the opening).

If you were to put up drywall without thought to the formula you could essentially be removing a "legal" bedroom vis a vis the NYC Building Code.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkdc View Post
    Why go through all of that hassle to buy something that needs all of that work to be "normal" when you will be in a building where all of your comps will still have a bad layout and trade at a discount?
    this reminds me of that tribeca based condo (dont know the name) that is selling at 900 bucks a foot. is it tribeca space? there is one "bedroom" there that has a window where the bottom ledge of the window is 6 feet above the floor. while technically a bedroom, you cant see out of it without standing on your bed.

Looks like a lot of you guys are puking on this deal.
    Last edited by QHIPHOP; February 28th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I'm not puking on it, but I have in recent memory sold an apartment with a Pullman kitchen. Every layout will clear at a certain price . . . But without actually having been inside the unit I can't say what that price is.

Maybe look at the "I" line at 80 John Street to get some sense of comparables? Those units have two back rooms that face an airshaft, which could be comparable to this unit's two home offices . ..80 John has fewer amenities than 15 Broad, but you still might find it useful market information.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

Looks like a lot of you guys are puking on this deal. What if the sale price were $700/sqft? Would you still puke on it?

I am not puking on it at all. Just don't expect some arbitrage where you buy at $900psf and all of a sudden its worth $1200psf. From the look of the floorplan I can see why its at a discount and would expect that it will always be at a discount to other apts in the area due to layout

I guess it depends on what you mean by "good deal"...I would not want to live in a place with so few windows, no matter the price so spending a lot of money (even if at a relatively low psf value) wouldn't make any sense for me. However, sounds like you don't feel the same way so it may be a "good deal" for you...

If you are close to indifferent and like the place then go for it....just don't expect the value to all of a sudden pop up. The real estate market is still quite good here in Manhattan so there is a reason why you are getting such a good "deal"

Default Visited 15 Broad a few days back...

I visited 15 Broad a few days back, and I was not impressed. The big chandelier in the lobby and the golden (think Trump) seating area were too in the face. Also, the apartments are listed with various brokers. The floorplans were really bad and quite claustrophobic. The brokers are bad as well - they are from companies such as Homestead NYC and god-knows-what. In the seating area, one broker got hold of me while I was waiting for my broker and showed me a few apartments. She asked me stupid questions like - why do you need more space? Du-uh. Anyway, I hated the building, and even though I see listings online for it with a good price per sq. ft., I avoid it like the plague.
    Philippe Starck... who cares!! I just need a good floorplan.

Banned Member

Thumbs down

Just an FYI - If you were waiting for your broker, you should have let that broker who showed you around know it. By viewling those apartments with her/him, you would technically owe them (not YOUR broker) a commission on the sale (as the broker in the lobby actually showed you the unit.) Beware of sleazy brokers. There are some very good pro's and a lot of scumbags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast