Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: In SoHo

I doubt they lied; just lazy.

I don't see where they said, prewar-classic, just cast-iron historic. The lot is in the historic district extension (since 2010), so I can see where they goofed.

Can't see how they mistook the concrete for cast iron, but again, it is called the SoHo Cast Iron Historic District.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post

I'm sorry, lofterpedia.
    I like it! I'm going to have to change my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post

I did not mean to question the Great and Powerful Oz in such a manner .
    All is forgiven

They've been doing facade work at the Little Singer Building for many months, and all the details have been hidden away, along both Broadway & Prince.

Today the netting & scaffolding are starting to come down, so folks should soon get to see this one in all its glory ...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

B'Way in SoHo deserves an extension of the landscaped B'Way boulevard. These stunning buildings warrant more than a filthy, overcrowded sidewalk lined by vendors selling crap off of folding tables.

And you CAN'T BUY THE FOLDING TABLES!!!!!

The OUTRAGE!

Take up the vendors, the vast percentage of which are setting up shop in places not allowed under vending regulations, with the NYPD and other City Agencies that could get things under control and you'll find that they could basically care less that what's going on along Broadway in SoHo is, in many many cases, illegal.

Default 55 Thompson Street (formerly Tunnel Garage)

Couldn't find this building anywhere. It's a beauty.

Penthouse Rental at 55 Thompson

by Jessica Dailey

SOHO—We haven't heard anything from 55 Thompson since the original renters moved in, but the building has had some turnover in the last two years. One of the penthouse units recently returned to the rental market, asking $17,500/month. It's a two-bedroom, two-bathroom corner unit with floor-to-ceiling windows and a skylight. More details on the building's website.

http://ny.curbed.com/places/55-thompson-street

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0..._sells_out.php

A beauty? Not in person. It's clad in clumsy concrete panels. The street level retail space remains empty, despite the fact that it's been completed and open to residents for nearly 3 years. Plus the fact that right outside the windows is one of the worst traffic jams (and dirtiest air) in all of Manhattan: the bottleneck of East River bridge traffic cramming and honking its way into the two lanes of the Holland Tunnel.

But from the PH the view to the east over SoHo must be nice.

I think that it's ok, but sadly, they razed a nice old building that could have been refurbished.

52 Wooster St

Long stalled project at Wooster and Broome, filling in a narrow corner lot, finally underway.

http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/real-e...approved/14281

52 Wooster St

^ Not the new building that's gone up there, but rather the supporting structure for the old one to the east as 52 Wooster digs out the foundation.

Landmarks Praises Updated Plans for Glassy Spring St. Retail

by Evan Bindelglass

Fashion company investor Ralph Bartel's plans to construct a glassy four-story retail building on a vacant Soho lot were unanimously approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission today. The design for 144 Spring Street saw minor changes from the June presentation, but the discussion among the commissioners turned more to the future than whether the proposed building was appropriate for the present.

Ward Dennis of the preservation firm Higgins Quasebarth & Partners and Architect Frank Grauman of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson presented the updated proposal for the building, which will have two floors and two mezzanines and be built of structural glazing without metal support. The updated design accentuates the base slightly and draws inpspiration from the Lever House and Seagram Building. Dennis also pointed out that many other small lots have structures built differently from their neighbors.

Grauman noted that the size of the air handlers on the roof was reduced, that a slightly modified paneling design links the two faces of the building, and that the cornice was enlarged. He also highlighted the interior glass elevator, meant to direct people up to what he said the still-unnamed retailer called "objects of significant value, but not of significant size."

The commissioners really liked the building and approved it unanimously. New commissioner Adi Shamir-Baron said it was "innovating and testing the limits" of structural glass. She did question whether the long vacant space should be left that way, but chair Meenakshi Srinivasan pointed out that the lot was intented for a building. Of the design, Srinivasan said it "fits well." Commissioner Roberta Washington liked it, but worried about setting precedent for glass buildings to be approved, while Diana Chapin called it an "appropriate modern interpretation." Frederick Bland said he continued "to be impressed" and called it "extraordinary" and "thoughtful" and said it "fits in like a glove."

As when the building was presented in June, Bland professed his love for the interior and his hope for it to be landmarked. In order for a building interior to be landmarked, the building must have existed for 30 years and must have been accessible by the public. Here's where the discussion went to the future. This will be a transparent building and the worry is that, one day, it might be sold and the new owner would want to put up a wall and change the nature of the building. Unless an interior is landmarked, it falls outside the purview of the commission. There was reference made to the glass-heavy Apple stores. In the end, to satisfy concerns, raised largely by Bland and commissioner Michael Goldblum, the approval resolution included an amendment that any significant changes to the transparency within 24 inches of the exterior must be reviewed by the commission.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._st_retail.php

Despite the writer's comment about Soho, this part of Greene Street appears to have changed very little, thank goodness (SoHo Cast Iron Historic District). Even the lovely old (?) lamp post has survived.

Greene Street Then & Now, and the Return of Spectra

November 7th, 2014

About twenty years ago, I peered out my living room window on East 12th Street to discover that it was a misty, atmospheric day after an early morning rainfall. As I had the day off, I grabbed my trusty Maxxum 400si…then newly fitted with a wide-angle lens, and set out to take some pictures.

While strolling around foggy SoHo, I found myself on Greene Street, strangely bereft of any cars. I raised my camera, pointed it to the south and snapped. A few days later, I repaired to the Spectra Photo Lab on LaGuardia Place and picked up my film, delighted to discover how certain ones had turned out, notably my Greene Street shot. That shot is below….

(click images to enlarge)

At the time, I was still finding my way with photography as an eager novice. I’d taken a crash darkroom course at the Maine Media Workshops in Rockport, Maine, so I had a vague idea of what I was doing, but being that I didn’t have access to a darkroom myself, I took all my film to Specta, and they always did an amazing job. While I could take credit for the composition, Spectra made my images positively shine. This Greene Street shot remains a particular favorite, so much so that I had the Spectra folks blow up a version and it now hangs on our living room wall. I love how you just make out the hint of the World Trade Center towers behind the street lamp.

As I mentioned in this post from 2008, when my first child was born in 2004, I switched to a digital camera out of sheer convenience, and sadly never went back. Clearly, I wasn’t alone, as the advent of digital photography basically seemed to put photo labs like Spectra out of business. They had to give up that massive space on LaGuardia Place as a result. It sort of broke my heart.

Six years later, however, I recently noticed that Specta has re-appeared at 333 Fifth Avenue just off 33rd Street. I’ve recently been kicking the idea around of shooting film again, so it might be time to go visit.

And just for the Hell of it, I was down on Greene Street again yesterday, and tried to replicate that earlier shot. Suffice to say, SoHo is no longer the same place that it was all those years ago.

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/...f-spectra.html
    Last edited by Merry; November 19th, 2014 at 03:20 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011