Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giant Ferris Wheel Proposal

Why not Jersey City? By Liberty State Park?

Or would that interfere with all the "Luxury Waterfront Condominiums" going in...

Oops, I forgot, the best views of Manhattan are FROM NY,

Forum Veteran

Blehh... no. Cheesy and ugly.

Put it in Coney Island.. with all the other amusement park stuff.

Coney Island already has a ferris wheel

This ferris wheel belongs EXACTLY where its propsed, right alongside the city skyscrapers, overlooking the east river and the bridges. Its the best location to take advantage of the views, and you won't have to deal with that annoying community oppositions (who wants a giant ferris wheel in the neighborhood?). Its more of an observation thing than a ride. And it would do less "damage" to the skyline than the Guggenheim....

I hope it gets built. I'll start with a walk from Brooklyn, accross the Brooklyn Bridge. Then I'll walk over to the ferris wheel for the spin around and those views. After that, I'll make my way over to the Freedom Tower deck (lower) then make my way up in the glass elevator to the 1,500 ft outdoor deck. If that's not enough excitement for the day, I'll make my way to Midtown, and the top of the newly reopened GE deck. Followed by maybe a trip to the ESB.

The fact that this may all be a possiblility is too exciting for words...

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Why not Jersey City? By Liberty State Park?

Or would that interfere with all the "Luxury Waterfront Condominiums" going in...
    Oops, I forgot, the best views of Manhattan are FROM NY,
    In this case, you happen to be right, the best views would be from NY. Looking at the skyline from a distance is great - at ground level. If you are going to be up in the air, better to be in the city. Also, it would be a particular attraction for Downtown, you know, the area that suffered after the 9/11 attacks (which is the whole point)...

I know a great place that it is still in Manhatttan and where all the tourists like to go...Central Park!!!

It is centrally located and just inmagine the great views...Midtown and Downtown, The Upper West and East Side, Both Rivers and beyond and Harlem and beyond...It will be great and everyone will flock to the park and used. It will have to be centrally located in the park somewhere! :P

The worst idea for Lower Manhattan since the Downtown Guggenheim ...
    why would anyone want to more the most glorious skyline in the world with this atrocity?

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    Quote Originally Posted by ILUVNYC
    I agree, Queens would be a good place for this..Gets into the way too much of the lower manhattan skyline.
    I say it would be better in the Brooklyn Bridge Park or Queens West. That would bring more people to those parks, close to the city, and provider MUCH better views.
    I agree. At 450 feet, riders will have a nice view of Brooklyn and office windows. In Brooklyn you'll have a nice view of Brooklyn and Manhattan. I still think ferris wheels are ugly for the most part though.

Forum Veteran

Not in Brooklyn either please. Something so tacky and unoriginal is not good for anyone but a portion of tourists.

Put it in the Meadowlands. This proposal and Xanadu deserve each other.

I don't like it in London and I sure don't like it in NYC. Please, let some other US city run with a gimmick like this. Maybe they should build this in that make-believe WTB in Kansas City, right in-between the mall and the building. :lol:

New York deal one in the Eye

Building Design, 4 June 2004

London Eye architect Marks Barfield attacks partner for reneging on 'verbal agreement' for Big Apple wheel

By Will Hurst

Julia Barfield, partner, Marks Barfield Architects

Marks Barfield Architects has been frozen out of plans to build a New York version of the London Eye by its own business partner, the architect has revealed.

Husband-and-wife team David Marks and Julia Barfield created the design for the London Eye on their kitchen table in 1993 and went on to realise the huge observation wheel as one-third of the London Eye Company (LEC), which also includes the Tussauds Group and British Airways.

But this week, Barfield claimed leisure giant Tussauds had broken a verbal agreement with the two other partners by independently pursuing a new version of the Eye on the Manhattan waterfront. Tussauds is carrying out a feasibility study for the city's Economic Development Corporation.

The practice had drawn up new ideas for the New York wheel, and its exclusion from the project represents a new low in relations between the architects and their commercial partners. A parallel dispute centres on the company's £130 million debt which is financed by British Airways at a 25 per cent interest rate. Marks Barfield has argued this must be refinanced and blames 2002's £10 million loss in part on the interest payments.

Barfield told BD: "We're not involved. This is something that Tussauds is doing. Within the LEC, we had come to the view that any new projects should be done by the LEC. This was a verbal agreement, not a legal agreement. But Tussauds have decided to go off and do this themselves. So you can read into that what you will.

"We suggested [the New York project] to them, but they have tried to pursue it independently of the LEC or us. We had a meeting with the Tussauds chief executive two years ago and we discussed a wheel in New York. We did some work on it and even put together some images and a brochure.

"Tussauds subsequently told us they 'may or may not require our services'. I think it's a pretty strange way to do business."

But Barfield has not ruled out possible legal action, but said it was "too early to say" if the practice would pursue the matter in the courts.

A spokesman for Tussauds Group refused to comment on any verbal agreement for legal reasons.

He added: "Many cities in the world are considering observation platform proposals. Tussauds, being Europe's largest visitor-attraction business, is naturally consulted on many of these projects. But Tussauds is under an obligation to run anything past the board of the British Airways London Eye."

A British Airways spokeswoman said: "We were aware [the Tussauds Group] was looking at the feasibility of a similar wheel in New York. But it is something we will be discussing at board level with the other partners to see what the implications are."

© Building Design 2004

www.marksbarfield.com

Is this still a seroius project? I though it was just a joke. :roll:

Talk about a lack of originality.....I think the observation deck on the Freedom Tower, if done correctly, will be enough for Lower Manhattan. This whole copying of London is typical of the 1840s and 50s.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast