Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giant Ferris Wheel Proposal

Default Giant Ferris Wheel Proposal

NY Post...

WATER WHEEL

By MIRA BAR-HILELL and TOM SYKES

May 24, 2004 -- This could be the wheel deal for the Big Apple.

The city is in discussions to erect a giant, fairground-style Ferris wheel on Pier 14 near the South Street Seaport as part of its plans to redevelop the lower Manhattan waterfront, The Post has learned.

Based on a similar British attraction called the London Eye, the wheel would be capable of lifting thousands of fun-seekers up to 450 feet - as high as some of the neighboring office towers.

The plan to bring the observation wheel to the Manhattan waterfront is being spearheaded by the Tussauds Group, one of the backers of the British wheel - but perhaps better known for Madame Tussauds, its chain of celebrity wax-figure museums.

Tussauds Group would only say, "We are actively looking at observation platforms of various types in cities around the globe."

But in a letter to architects last month, officials at Tussauds said they completed a "preliminary investigation of potential opportunities in New York," and would follow up with a detailed, site-specific feasibility study for the project.

"Tussauds has been invited to make an application for sole-source designation," company officials wrote, adding that the city's Economic Development Corp. is seeking "private investment projects as anchors to waterfront development."

Pier 14 and Pier 13 are under EDC's jurisdiction. A spokeswoman for the agency declined to comment on the proposed Ferris wheel.

The riverbank site had once been targeted as the location for a new Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank Gehry. But the $950 million project was dropped in 2002 due to concerns about its cost and potential environmental complications.

After the Guggenheim withdrew, city officials continued to call for a cultural institution along the East River in lower Manhattan. A Ferris wheel would be a dramatic departure from that strategy.

A half-hour ride in one of the London Eye's special passenger "capsules" costs around $15 for an adult and $9 for a child. Annual ticket sales are about $70 million, according to the London Eye Co.

:x no...I dont think so!!! Maybe they should built it in Brooklyn or Queens waterfront...or it could be move up to the lower east side waterfront...none of those buildings have something especial to overshadow with this. But not as south as lower manhattan. It will be in the way of admiring downtown from the east. They just need to create a green park there that is all it needs.

I agree, Queens would be a good place for this..Gets into the way too much of the lower manhattan skyline.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVNYC
    I agree, Queens would be a good place for this..Gets into the way too much of the lower manhattan skyline.
    I say it would be better in the Brooklyn Bridge Park or Queens West. That would bring more people to those parks, close to the city, and provider MUCH better views.

Exactly! Couldnt have said it better myself

I actually really like this idea.

Despite much cajoling, most tourists never leave Manhattan. I imagine that the ferris wheel would lose money in another borough.

The Wheel in London works because tourist dont have any other place to go high up and see breathtaking views. But NYC has many such spots already. The Empire State Building and hopefully the statue of liberty and the new freedom tower... and so many other places as well. So there is no need for this wheel in manhattan at all other than be in the way to admiring buildings. :wink:

It's a good thing for the tourists, but I just hope it doesn't detract from the classic skyline view of the B. Bridge and downtown - will that image forever have a cheesy ferris wheel in it too?

If it was on the Brooklyn side it might draw more people across the bridge and into DUMBO.

Banned Member

Put it on Governors Island of the southern tip of Roosevelt Island.

Why are you guys so negative on this location? It should be where there is already a tourist district -- South Street Seaport. The more things in one spot there are for tourists to spend their money on, the better for the city. Tourist activity demands concentration, not dispersal. Don't mess with it; it's the number one industry in the world.

I wonder what Sciame thinks of this?

Forum Veteran

Eh, no. The London Eye is incredible, but we're New York and not London. I for one don't want to be unabashedly copying other cities to form our own identity for Downtown.

I like the idea of it being on Gov. Island! And it wouldnt lose money in another borough! It would just increase tourism in it!

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Eh, no. The London Eye is incredible, but we're New York and not London. I for one don't want to be unabashedly copying other cities to form our own identity for Downtown.
    Exactly... wait, I've got a great idea, how about a gherkin-shaped tower instead. :wink:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast