Page 104 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 2110

Thread: Manhattan Residential Development

I want to see the buildings on the north side of 86th between Lex and 3rd razed. They're horrible (especially the Papaya King).

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by investordude View Post
    There's buzz on curbed of some massive demolition for a major lot on 98th and lex. Does anyone know what's getting built there?
    It's an 18-story squat box by SLCE with 96 units.

Expect something similar to the nondescript squat box (1500 Lexington) that they also did a few years ago on the next block to the south.

DOB NB permit here.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I want to see the buildings on the north side of 86th between Lex and 3rd razed. They're horrible (especially the Papaya King).
    i can't understand why that stretch of prime real estate is covered with those one or two storey buildings

If I had to guess, the Frank Williams building just to the north of these buildings used all there air-rights.

Quote Originally Posted by investordude View Post
    There's buzz on curbed of some massive demolition for a major lot on 98th and lex. Does anyone know what's getting built there?
    This will be the first luxury development north of 96th on the East-Side. You heard it here first, if you have the money buy up.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Do we not use the H-word around here?

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

The Dude Abides

As terrible as the aesthetics of that stretch of 86th street are, I wouldn't mind if it stayed pretty much the way it is now. There's a certain organized chaos in that area, and it makes for a "real" neighborhood.

Oh, and the Papaya King is awesome and always packed.

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    i can't understand why that stretch of prime real estate is covered with those one or two storey buildings
    Because ten years ago, this area was a dump.

That Papaya King sucks.

And it's filled with drunken lowlives. If I just spent $3m for an apt. in the Brompton or Lucida, I would not want that place across the street from me.

I think Papaya King owns their property.

Hopefully that dump and the adjacent buildings will be bought out and something more appropriate will be built.

The Dude Abides

And it's filled with drunken lowlives. If I just spent $3m for an apt. in the Brompton or Lucida, I would not want that place across the street from me.
    That is a ridiculous generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    As terrible as the aesthetics of that stretch of 86th street are, I wouldn't mind if it stayed pretty much the way it is now. There's a certain organized chaos in that area, and it makes for a "real" neighborhood.

Oh, and the Papaya King is awesome and always packed.
    I find this statement to be absurd, but, unlike you, I didn't feel compelled to point that out. I don't know what world you live in, but if you need cheap businesses and run-down shops to feel "real," it's a sad one. Paris and London must seem like Disneyland to you.

The Dude Abides

Never been to either of those.

I don't "need" anything to feel like I'm in a real neighborhood. As it happens, I went to high school in the area, and spent a lot of time in and around 86th street. There's nothing special about it, but there's nothing wrong with it, either. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Just because two moderately sized luxury condos are going up doesn't mean the entire street needs to change. Maybe, over time, it will. But for now, it works just fine. Your generalization about Papaya King doesn't ring true unless it's late at night on the weekend.

The neighborhood is solid middle to upper-middle class. If you'd have a problem living there as a resident in the Brompton or Lucida, then that's your problem. Don't assume the real residents want to whitewash it to look like Madison Avenue.

If I just spent $3m for an apt. in the Brompton or Lucida, I would not want that place across the street from me.
    Then maybe you shouldn't have bought in that location

Or at least take up a collection to buy the Papaya King site and build something better.

Besides, don't rich people like a dog with mustard now and then?

Ditto for cash-strapped over-extended newly-arrived condo owners