• Ratner's NYU Hospital Tower

2 5.56%
  • BofA Bryant Park HQ

1 2.78%
  • Other

4 11.11%

Thread: Poll - New York's Most Significant Capital Project

Default Poll - New York's Most Significant Capital Project

It would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on which major, long-term project will have the greatest beneficial effect on the city (culturally, economically, politcally, environmentally).

My vote goes to the completed Hudson River Park. At least a decade away, when the park is complete it will connect Riverside Park to Battery Park in an unbroken green necklace that will be almost as special as Central Park.

Forum Veteran

I agree. All of these projects are great, but the HRP has Manhattan-changing ability, literally. It will open up the river (and has), it will be a catalyst for massive development (it's already began) and it's one of those things that people will soon relish as one of NYCs finest assets in which all can enjoy (like Central Park, etc.).

It is a great project, and with all the wonderful Pier additions, it will be a majot draw in many ways.

I voted for Ratner's NYU Hospital Tower because it's ben on my mind.

Goldman Sachs.

It's a building. It's going to be in Lower Manhattan. Enough Said.

It's a start for more to come.

The park.

The others, except for the stadium if you consider it as the West Side development, are individual buildings. If you remove any one of them, the impact would not be as great in scope.

Forum Veteran

I selected other, regarding Water Tunnel #3. Skyscrapers and parks are great, but they'll be useless if there's no water for them.

Banned Member

HRP. I think it will surpass Central Park as the preeminent park of NYC. This city has much more coastline. This project is setting a standard by which all other projectscan be measured. Thus far, they have spared nothing. It is a high-quality design and benefits everyone.

Forum Veteran

The image of the city is going to be defined by the FT. I just hope that another name for this icon takes hold. New York just can't be that cheesy.

Not on the basis of what will most alter New York City, but what I absolutely want to see built, I cast my vote for 80 South Street, Santiago Calatrava's architectural singularity.

It adds a much needed dollop of heterogeneity to the downtown skyline, and there is simply nothing in the world like it. What is wonderful to boot: style follows function.

Oh, regarding the FT - if London can have a very British "erotic gherkin", NYC should proudly build its "giant middle finger". And would a roller-coaster on top be somehow impious?

Default transportation

I vote other - the rail and subway improvements underway across NYC (downtown rail hub, LIRR expansion, and subway expansions) are the ones that will most affect the city.

The Hudson River Park. If you built it they will come... :wink: Look at the development happenning already where the park is done.

I voted for the Freedom Tower. Whether its a crummy design or not, it will bring something tall again to the Downtown skyline. Something tall and dominating on the skyline has always been the signature of NY (maybe even part of the city's identity), and that's been missing since the destruction of the Twins.

Other projects are significant, like the Hudson River Park. But that area is somewhat already being used as a park, and I still don't put in on the scale of Central Park. Maybe when its completed, it has a lot of potential.

Another major development to stand on its own, the new JETS stadium (or convention and exhibition center, whatever you want to call it). The city has never had a pro-football stadium, so this would actually be something new in New York, not to mention in the "heart" of the city.

Transit improvments, like bringing the LIRR to Grand Central and potentially Downtown (along with direct airport connections), and the 2nd Ave subway construction, along with new ferry terminals and connections, make this a great era for transit as well.

Its a great city, that's only going to get greater. We should all be happy with one development or another...

I voted for HRP too, though the benefits of construction of the Freedom Tower will reverberate a much further distance.

Definately the FT, but I think you should lump all the WTC-related project together into one category.

Interesting responses! As people have said, I think the park has the ability to change the whole island, more than any one building could do, and I voted for it, but in fact the water tunnel is actually the most significant. When's it supposed to be done? 2020? I hope we don't need it before then...