Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Military Draft 2005: Strong Possibility

Default Military Draft 2005: Strong Possibility

Being someone who falls into the age criteria to be drafted, I'm a little nervous about this. Especially since I've been against this war from day one.
    Scary, scary stuff: What are your thoughts?

Source: Congress.org

Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005
    The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Forum Veteran

I'll support the draft so long as every politician, lobbyist, CEO, and other member of the American elite is willing to volunteer his/her children.

Canada, here I come! Well maybe not, but I do not plan on being drafted into the "War on Terror".

One question, how do countries like Israel deal with all the terrorism. They get targeted frequently for various reasons, but somehow they survive. The US gets targeted once, granted one really big attack, and we start a war and a billion other anti-terror schemes. What is Spain doing now? How have they decided to cope with their run in with terror? I hope war is not their solution.

Forum Veteran

They pulled out of Iraq. Not saying that's good or bad, dunno.

I'll be eligible for the draft next May, however I won't be in uniform any time soon or later. I'll simply tell them that I do not support the war(s) and at first chance I will shoot my commanding officer. Not that I would (I would only disobey), but that's sure to let me off.

And land you in jail.

Pilaro - the situation is much simpler than you may realize. The "War On Terror" is simultaneously a distraction for an intellectually eviscerated public and a cash cow for the defense corporations. Those are its only purposes. It was not created to end terrorism. Ending terrorism is not in the best interests of those in charge.

The way to end terrorism is to destroy it's true cause - poverty and oppression. Both of these are products of western imperialism, which is imposed by western leaders. Remove these corrupt leaders - as well as the ones in countries like Saudi Arabia (who happen to be extremely close friends with the Bush family) and then you can start to eliminate terrorism.

Forum Veteran

^It wouldn't land me in jail if I wasn't in the military yet.

Forum Veteran

There will be no fleeing to Canada this time, either. The "smart border declaration" was an agreement with the Canadian Foreign Minister in 2001 that would scan each visitor and determine whether they would be a threat. If you have a lot of twentysomethings on the road to Toronto, then customs agents will definitely be looking up.

At first I thought this whole reinstating the draft thing was a story planted by the DoD to nudge Americans back into realizing we are in a war. But now..... well thanks for the heads up. Amazing how no one in the media has this story.

I would choose to spend the time in prison than in a war that I may die in...Im just not supportive of it, and wont do it no matter what. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilaro
    Canada, here I come! Well maybe not, but I do not plan on being drafted into the "War on Terror".

One question, how do countries like Israel deal with all the terrorism. They get targeted frequently for various reasons, but somehow they survive. The US gets targeted once, granted one really big attack, and we start a war and a billion other anti-terror schemes. What is Spain doing now? How have they decided to cope with their run in with terror? I hope war is not their solution.
    Funny how people who don't agree with this war to protect america from terrorists also are the first people who would run away faced with the possibility of being drafted to protect the country.

If I were drafted I would go. It's obviously more easily said than done. I would definately be scared, maybe I coulnd't handle it, but I wouldn't go to Canada. I love America and I would fight to defend it. Anyone who isn't willing to fight to protect the country doesn't deserve the freedoms it grants. Millions of people died protecting the rights of citizens of this country, unless people are willing to do the same they should not live here. BTW, I am of draft age too, so you can't complain that it isn't the same risk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I'll support the draft so long as every politician, lobbyist, CEO, and other member of the American elite is willing to volunteer his/her children.
    I agree 100%, not only that but ANYONE of military age should be drafted. Including the CEOs themselves. And women who want "equal rights" should be treated truly equal and drafted too. Women on this forum, it would be interesting to get your opinion on this. You obviously support "equal rights for women" correct? But would you support the draft being for women too or only men? I find there is usually a double standard here, just want to see if that is still true.

Forum Veteran

:shock: No need to "shout," FT.

sorry, i didnt realize the caps lock buttoned hurt ur ears

ill use the lower case from now on :wink: :lol:

i usually use the caps to EMPHASIZE main points

however, when i feel everything is important to say
    then the whole post turns out to be caps

Freedom Tower:

I warned you months ago about personal attacks. After a long absence, you come back and fall right into character.

I removed your ALL CAPS tirade. Just so you understand, it contained several remarks such as
    IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE AL QAEDAS SPOKESPERSON, CLAIMING AMERICAN IMPERIALIST PIGS ARE FIGHTING FOR OIL, ETC.
    From now on, any similar posts will just disappear. I'm not going to waste any time on an explanation.

Sorry if i offended anyone, ahem-Freedom Tower. I love our country as much as the next citizen, but i do not want to support an emerging american empire in the middle east. How do any of us really know if the Iraqi people desire liberation- have you asked them? I am not one for isolationism, but we should know when to call it quits. Secondly, I do not understand how drafting hundreds of thousands of young people into the war will accomplish anything, except to cause a repeat of vietnam.

MidnightRambler- I kinda agree with you. There really seems to be no purpose to this war. That is also why I have no desire to participate in the foray.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast