Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Hotel News

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    ... Gene Kaufman, who is designing all six hotels. "We are going to be able to improve the neighborhood."
    A bold (rash?) claim, considering the source.

Chang expects to finish the Hampton Inn by June 2007, the Holiday Inn by July 2008, and everything else in between.

"Some of them I will keep, some of them I will sell," Chang says.

"I have opened 25 hotels in New York. What is there to be excited about?

It's like eating dinner. Every day you have to do it."
    Could someone please slip something into this man's food?

^LOL... where does he eats his dinner at?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chang
    "I have opened 25 hotels in New York. What is there to be excited about?
    Yeah I agree, there is nothing to be excited at all really.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Could someone please slip something into this man's food?
    I suggest a heavy dose of...

Question

There are currently no hotels -- and usually no tourists -- in the immediate vicinity.
    this guy is a moron. sad that he will make money from this and so will the hotels selling rooms by the hour for $50. 39th and 8th. Perfect area for a stripmall sack of whoretels.

One block, six hotels planned

Sam Chang developing sextet of hotels on West 39th Street

The pic at the left seems to be the trio at 337 / 339 / 343 W 39th. Not sure where the one on the right is.

At the low end is an 80-room budget Comfort Inn, at 305 West 39th Street ...
    This is another Poon Palace. It's taking forever. I don't think they've heard about machinery on this site (and not sure about tools, either) ...

This is the east facade mid-November (it still looks pretty much the same) ...

And the west facade this week ...

... a four-star, $110 million, extended stay Homewood Suites (a Hilton brand), at 311 West 39th Street.
    This one ^^^ is still a hole in the ground (very little progress in the last three months).

... a Hampton Inn at 337 West 39th Street ... a Candlewood Suites at 339 West 39th Street ... and a Holiday Inn Express at 343 West 39th Street.
    Those ^^^ will be built on this site ...

They back up onto this one going up on W. 40th (designed by Kaufman, but not sure if it's a McSam). I talked to the guy who owns the crane company for this one -- he said he runs the biggest non-union crane + concrete operation in the city -- he's doing all the hotels on this block and is a very happy (but busy) man ...

Across the street hey're doing some major work at the PABT -- looks like huge plates have been installed in three different places along the full block, probably for attaching signage (this is the east end of PABT) ...

Chang is also building a full-service Holiday Inn at 588 Eighth Avenue.
    I think that one will go here, except the ddress here is 585 Eighth (interior demo is just about done and some exterior bricks have started to come down) ...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This Sam Chang and his McSams is truly a scourge of unprecedented proportions in this city.

It's almost unbelievable how a man can put up that many, fairly large (usually 20-30 stories) eyesores all over the place and not get any scrutiny (except here on wirednewyork) in this otherwise extremely scrutinized city.

And the amazing thing is that what press he does get, it usually isn't negative at all.

Go figure.

Can you spell "connected"?

Kaufman really loves that "break up the mass with color" trick, eh?

Looking at the rendering on the right: After another insopection and a comparison with the last pic in my post above, it appears that this will go up at 585 8th Avenue (the buildings to either side correspond with what exists on that block).

Notice that this building seems to be set back from the street wall. Although we can't see it all the way down to the side walk, there might be a one-story section there (the dark line at the bottom) where it really does match the street wall. The white section above that appears to either (1) a separate set-back section, with the tower portion set-back once again and rising above -- creating three separate masses on this facade, or (2) the beginning of a set-back that includes the tower and the change in color is merely a design trick to break up the mass.

Cool

thanks for the pics lofter. i acctually expected much worse! he has set the bar so low for himself that he makes bad look better.
    of course, i did read that the dropped somethin at the seaport that looked ABSOLUTELY nothing like teh approved rendering and are having to redo.

That was because of community board approval, and I doubt that would be the case on 39th.

ALSO: I am happy about the W being confirmed:

The last we heard of W Hotel Downtown NYC was that it was very probable but still not quite solidified. Now in a report on the downtown NYC hotel scene, we learn that indeed the W will open at 123 Washington St. in Tribeca. (pictured above)
    But W is not the only one. According to the Alliance for Downtown New York, the area is expected to get 2,000 hotel rooms, twice as many as there are now, within the next five years. Hotel projects--mostly small boutique hotels--are expected to open at the following locations:
    · 217 Pearl St.
    · 126 Water St.
    · 99 Washington St.
    · 100 Greenwich St.
    · 50 Trinity Pl.
    · 20 Maiden Ln.
    · 8 Stone St.
    · 33 Beekman St.
    50 Trinity Place will be a 38-room hotel and 99 Washington Street will be a budget hotel. As for 33 Beekman Street it looks like developer Sam Chang has snapped that place up to go along with his 6 York Street, 80-room hotel. All the others, we couldn't find much information based on our cursory internet sleuthing (Please, it's Friday.)
    Also happening downtown by 2015 is 55 Wall Street which is the Cipriani Residences and the Wall Street Regent Hotel, a Hampton Inn at 320 Pearl street and a proposed 800-room hotel on the WTC Northeast site. Even existing hotels will get a makeover like the Holiday Inn Wall Street which will get a $60 million renovation project in the next 18 months.

[hotel chatter]

mumbles: do work at / with hotelchatter?

I keep hoping that someone iin the media will dig a bit deeper regarding Mr. Chang. Perhaps everything is on the up & up with his operation, but when pockets are that deep then one can't help but wonder.

It also seems (unlike most NYC development) that time & length of construction are not a concern for the Chang gang and other new hotel development players -- witness 305 W. 39th and the incredible amount of time it is taking to put up a ~20 story building. The Times Tower across 8 Avenue has gone up in almost the same amount of time (and could very well be completed sooner, given the look of thins).

Red face

lofter, no I am not affiliated with hotel chatter. moving into a condo next door to 123 wash, so i have been following the moinian development hoping it would not be a best western.

chang freaks me out! I didn't know it has taken so long to build 39th street.
    Where is he from? Maybe foreign, rich, and clueless?

also, the debacle to be at 50 trinity is only 39 rooms? seems like a big waste of time/space!

Default Cooper Square Hotel at 25 Cooper Square (Bowery / E. 5th Street)

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

This one has started to rise above The Bowery ...
    COOPER SQUARE HOTEL

[map]

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post

NY Sun
    September 2005

... LoungeSleep Hotels - the principals are Gregory Peck and Matthew Moss - have announced plans to build a 22-story, 145-room hotel on Third Avenue between 5th and 6th streets. It acquired four residential buildings at 25, 27, 29-31, and 33 Cooper Square and plans to begin construction on a $60 million development next year.
    Another LoungeSleep Hotel: The Crescent of Beverly Hills

Info: http://www.frontinc.com/sp_name_cooper_square_.html

Completion Date: 2008
    Owner: Peckmoss Group
    Architects & Designers: Carlos Zapata Studio / Perkins Eastman Architects
    Structural Engineer: Leslie E. Robertson Associates, R.L.L.P
    Services Engineer: Ambrosino, DePinto & Schmieder Consulting Engineers, PC
    Contractor: F.J. Sciame Construction Co., Inc.

Facade Contractor: Josef Gartner & Co.

Default Cooper Square Hotel / 25 Cooper Square

I can't find a rendering of this. Anyone???

More pics of the site from today ...

They're building this hotel around the old building ^^^ in the last pic.

Why? Read on (news from six + months ago) ...

Loft tenants won’t check out to make way for hotel

Villager photo by Robert Kreizel
    Two residents of 27 Cooper Square have refused to vacate for
    a hotel project, which is being built around the building, above.

thevillager.com
    By David Spett
    Volume 76, Number 5
    June 21 - 27 2006

A luxury hotel is being planned for Cooper Square between Fifth and Sixth Sts., but the developer’s two building permit requests have been denied and specific details about the hotel are not currently known.

Four buildings — 25, 29, 31 and 33 Cooper Square — have been demolished, but residents of 27 Cooper Square have refused to leave, and the hotel will need to be built around the remaining building.

Peck Moss Hotel Group, the luxury hotel company that owns the property, says in a press release that its hotel “puts Cooper Square on the map.”

The press release states that Peck Moss is planning “a groundbreaking hotel with a truly original concept.” Peck Moss Hotel Group declined to comment for this story, and its publicist, D2 Publicity, sent a press release but did not return several calls requesting more information. An e-mail from Ereka Dunn, co-founder of D2 Publicity, said no further information was available.

Two architectural firms, Perkins Eastman and Leslie E. Robertson Associates, are working together on the hotel’s design.

[Note: The Permitfor the structural work on this project was issued to Leslie E. Robertson Associates on 12.06.06]

A permit application for a 21-story, 68,000-square-foot hotel was denied by the Department of Buildings on Nov. 11, 2005, and another application for a much smaller, four-story, 7,000-square-foot hotel was denied on Jan. 25 of this year. D.O.B. said it does not keep further details of rejected applications. It wasn’t clear why the hotel in the second application was one-tenth the size of the one in the previous application.

Residents living nearby expressed disappointment with the proposed hotel, saying it’s another example of East Village gentrification. Adam Burns, who lives at 207 E. Fifth St., directly adjacent to the construction, said “just about everyone” in his building is upset about it.

“A few power brokers are turning New York into a mall,” Burns said. “Where is the Bohemia, where is the opportunity for artistic people and alternative lifestyles?” Burns also said the construction workers working on the project’s foundation were bothering his sleep by starting work at 7 a.m. Seven complaints he phoned in to 311 have accomplished nothing, he said.

Two other residents of E. Fifth St. expressed concerns about the hotel but requested that their names not be published, saying it might anger the developers.

But the two residents of 27 Cooper Square, the building in the middle of the proposed hotel, were more satisfied.

“They’re making every effort to ensure my safety and comfort,” Hettie Jones said of the developers.

Jones, who has lived at 27 Cooper Square for about 40 years, said her status as a loft tenant prevented the developers from forcing her out. The other resident of the building, Katharine Abel, said a developer who owned the site before Peck Moss offered them an apartment in a new building, but “it ended up not working out. They couldn’t even find an apartment so fabulous when they tried to buy us out.”

Poet Hettie Jones — ex-wife of poet Amiri Baraka —
    is one of two tenants of 27 Cooper Square who have
    refused to take buyouts from a hotel developer
    to leave their loft apartments.

Jones said several famous artists and musicians have lived in the building, including Hettie’s ex-husband, LeRoi Jones — who later changed his name to Amiri Baraka — as well as Archie Shepp and Elizabeth Murray. Others who have visited the building include jazz musicians Ornette Coleman and the late Don Cherry and the late poet Allen Ginsburg. Jones herself is an author and poet who won a Norma Farber Award in 1998. She has written extensively about black women in music and co-authored Rita Marley’s book, “No Woman, No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley.”

Jones feels her building is a landmark, and she said it has been a stop along literary walking tours since the 1970s. She quoted a Jan. 8 New York Times article by architecture critic Herbert Muschamp, in which he said, “Landmarks are not created by architects. They are fashioned by those who encounter them after they are built.”

The E. Fifth St. Block Association met with Peck Moss Hotel Group on June 19. Block association member Marianne Schaefers said they suggested changes to the hotel plans but she does not know whether the suggestions will be heeded.

Peck Moss intends to submit its third permit application to the Buildings Department next week.

Robert Kreizel contributed to this report

© 2006 Community Media, LLC