Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Hotel News

Talking

^^yeah that is funny. are they going to be in the courtyard or something?

On the Horizon in Queens, Less Travel for Travelers

A hotel proposed for Forest Hills
    would have Tudor accents.

By JEFF VANDAM
    February 4, 2007

Gas and food can easily be had in Queens. Lodging is harder to come by.

Though many travelers begin their trips to the city in Queens, thanks to the presence of New York’s two major airports, the borough has few hotel options outside the immediate areas of Kennedy and La Guardia.

“The airports have a bunch of hotels, and there’s the one in Flushing on Main Street,” said Frank Gulluscio, district manager of Community Board 6, which covers Forest Hills. “But if somebody had to stay over from out of town, how far do you want to drive to get them into a hotel?”

If the answer is not far, Queens residents may be in luck. Plans are in the works for two new hotels in the borough. But while one seems likely to find favor with its neighbors, the other is already provoking criticism.

On Austin Street in Forest Hills, in the middle of a busy shopping strip, a developer named Yeheskel Elias is seeking approval for a 100-room luxury hotel. It would be the first hotel in the neighborhood since the Progressive-era hotels of Station Square in Forest Hills Gardens were converted to apartments long ago.

“The idea for me is really not to build a generic Holiday Inn,” Mr. Elias said, noting that families of local residents as well as tennis fans attending the U.S. Open might stay there. “We want to do a five-star hotel.”

The hotel, which would be neo-Tudor style to fit in with the neighborhood, would be built on property Mr. Elias already owns at Austin Street and 70th Road. The developer hopes to start construction within a year, and Mr. Gulluscio of the community board said the proposal would probably pass muster with Forest Hills residents.

But another proposal is drawing opposition, because of its size. It calls for erecting a 10-story, 130-room hotel, SpringHill Suites, on Northern Boulevard in Corona. The hotel would rise on a lot across from a six-story co-operative called the Dorie Miller Apartments, the tallest buildings in a low-rise neighborhood.

Borough President Helen Marshall is among those expressing criticism of the plan. She said she had received several irate calls from residents of the Dorie Miller apartments, some of whom attended a recent community board meeting to protest the proposal.

Kathy Duffy, a spokeswoman in New York for Marriott International, which operates SpringHill, confirmed that the hotel was planned for the site, which is occupied by the empty white warehouses of American Auto Accessories. There is no timetable for the plan, Marriott said. She added that a franchising deal for the hotel had not yet been signed.

But in Ms. Marshall’s opinion, a hotel on the site would be out of scale.

“We like that space and air in between,” she said, arguing that the arrival of such a tall building might set a dangerous precedent. “This is not Manhattan. To see a whole stream of tall buildings along one of our avenues is just not acceptable.”

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

When I came across this in the paper I actually cringed ...

A hotel proposed for Forest Hills
    would have Tudor accents.

^Brought back memories of the bad night I spent in the Sheraton Tara in Framingham many years ago.

Default Drilling inside the building

50 Trinity Place Update.

This last week they had a boring machine inside the building, taking drill cores or samples... This can only mean new foundation work, am I right? Kaufmann Architects & Co. pursuing the demo of a beautiful New York building for a new awful cash-cow? Judging by their previous projects ( I passed one in the 20's around 6th ave, it was god-awful) there is no taste but a single minded money making at ANY cost at work.

I walk by 50 Trinity every day and feel quite depressed that a building like this can be torn down or even built onto by some horrible tastele$$$ builder$$$-architect$$$. Either will damage the existing streetscape badly enough. Tearing it down is an ultimate insult to New York and would serve as a memorial to an incompetence of a building-protection board. Adding a brick cheesecake on top of the hollowed out facade will demolish the insides (which through their great scale and large windows can interact well with the surrounding space) and surely be a grotesque vandalism on the historic and relatively intact building.

There needs to be a concensus on these types of projects, where it is demonstrated what will replace an important building like 50 Trinity Place. Some things are just not replaceable. Actually I think all new projects should demonstrate, prior to approval, a clear effort to enhance neighborhoods. A neighborhood is not just a cash cow for greedy money-minded drones, but a place where kids get raised up and old people need security against tyrrants etc etc. And building approvals shouldn't just be a matter of whether the building stands up, or accomodates handicapped etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z50-TrinityPl-fall-2006.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	3492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50-trinity-detail.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	3493  
    Last edited by drcronex; February 4th, 2007 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    lofter, no I am not affiliated with hotel chatter. moving into a condo next door to 123 wash, so i have been following the moinian development hoping it would not be a best western.

chang freaks me out! I didn't know it has taken so long to build 39th street.
    Where is he from? Maybe foreign, rich, and clueless?

also, the debacle to be at 50 trinity is only 39 rooms? seems like a big waste of time/space!
    Not to mention the architectural waste. I live near it and 50 Trinity is quite a handsome building with lots of potential for people with taste.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ That one hurts everytime I'm reminded of it.

Sam Chang and Gene Kaufman couldn't die horrible deaths soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    But another proposal is drawing opposition, because of its size. It calls for erecting a 10-story, 130-room hotel, SpringHill Suites, on Northern Boulevard in Corona. The hotel would rise on a lot across from a six-story co-operative called the Dorie Miller Apartments, the tallest buildings in a low-rise neighborhood.
    Borough President Helen Marshall is among those expressing criticism of the plan. She said she had received several irate calls from residents of the Dorie Miller apartments, some of whom attended a recent community board meeting to protest the proposal.Kathy Duffy, a spokeswoman in New York for Marriott International, which operates SpringHill, confirmed that the hotel was planned for the site, which is occupied by the empty white warehouses of American Auto Accessories.B
    But in Ms. Marshall’s opinion, a hotel on the site would be out of scale.
    “We like that space and air in between,” she said, arguing that the arrival of such a tall building might set a dangerous precedent. “This is not Manhattan. To see a whole stream of tall buildings along one of our avenues is just not acceptable.”
    I find this totally outrageous.

A bunch self-serving co-op-living know-nothings, who themselves live in a tall building (no doubt a hideous-looking one) should have the nerve to prevent someone from building something new and positive for the area.

That Helen Marshall moron is just a perfect example of a spineless politician who's only concern is possibly losing support from her constituents instead of doing what's good for the borough.

You can build eleven-story buildings from now until eternity and Queens will never become a Manhattan. Idiots.

^ The Manhattanization of Queens. There goes the neighborhood.

MOOD INDIGO AT NEW HOTEL

By BRADEN KEIL

February 5, 2007 -- One of the world's largest hotel conglomerates is bringing its newest concept to Manhattan.

The Post has learned that InterContinental Hotels will open the first New York branch of its boutique Hotel Indigo chain by the first quarter of 2009 at 127 W. 28th St. in Chelsea.

Property owner Morris Moinian and his Fortuna Realty Group will oversee construction of the 20-story, 122-room structure, which is expected to cost $50 million, and direct the hotel's executive team. The deal was financed by Manufacturers & Traders Trust Co.

"It will be a luxurious and vibrant alternative to a traditional hotel, but with room prices staying in an affordable range," Moinian said. He indicated that it will be priced similarly to Los Angeles' trendy Standard hotels, owned by New York hotelier André Balazs, where rooms start at around $100.

Moinian said the low-rise building formerly on the site has been completely demolished and construction on the hotel will start in the next two weeks.

Moinian's real estate company owns five other hotels, including the Dylan Hotel - where he briefly was a partner with Britney Spears in the hotel's restaurant - and the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort & Spa in the Virgin Islands.

The Hotel Indigo brand includes seven properties in such cities as Chicago, Houston, and Sarasota, Fla.

The first opened in Atlanta in 2004; a spokeswoman for the company there are 20 more "in the pipeline."

"Development of Hotel Indigo New York is a major milestone for the brand," InterContinental Hotels Senior Vice President Jim Anhut said in a statement. "The diverse and eclectic atmosphere of Chelsea is a perfect fit for Hotel Indigo."

The hotel is being designed by New York-based architect Nobutaka Ashihara. The airy rooms will feature periodically changing photographic wall murals, area rugs and linens.

Copyright 2007 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Thumbs down

So in Chicago the new InterContinental Hotel looks like this nice tall one...

and their first one in NYC looks like this dump?

The hotel is being designed by New York-based architect Nobutaka Ashihara.
    The new Gene Kaufman?

This site ^^^ a few weeks ago from a post at the Remy thread...

A few doors west at 129 W. 28th some more buildings are coming down ...

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post
    So in Chicago the new InterContinental Hotel looks like this nice tall one...

and their first one in NYC looks like this dump?
    Well the Chicago one is for condo-hotels under the Intercontinental brand, while the NY one is for Hotel Indigo which seems like a more affordable hotel.

Banned Member

It's being built by Morris Moinian, Joe's baby brother. He owns / runs the Dylan. The design here is pure crapola.

It even looks like they're accentuating the [exposed?] floorplates

And I don't care who the architect is (Kaufman, Poon, O'Hara, Ashihara) ---

I F***ing HATE the way all these hotels pull back from the street

Question

^ I don't understand why they 'pull back from the street' neither. I though it was some sort of Zoning requirement for buildings that don't seem to have a big base. I just notice that alot with this type of buildings. Why do they do pull this crap?