Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC Hotel News

^ Tailor-made for today's reduced expectations.

Banned Member

The way the economy is headee, we may get some "rent by the hour" places back on the market.

City Hotel Revenues Down 22 Percent

by Chris Shott
    4:50 PM December 11, 2008

More bad news for the hospitality industry. According to analysts at Smith Travel Research, hotel occupancy rates nationwide sank to barely 50 percent during the week of Nov. 30 through Dec. 6, with daily rates and revenues also slumping in year-over-year measurements.

New York City hotels experienced one of the largest decreases in revenue among all top 25 U.S. markets, earning 22 percent less than the same time frame last year -- down to $283.01 per available room, according to the latest figures

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...own-22-percent

2008 Observer Media Group

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default 339-341 w 36

Poon-tang!

Why couldn't McSam and Lam have invested with Madoff? Madoff would actually be doing a public service then.

New Hotel Planned for Times Square Hinterlands

by Dana Rubinstein
    2:15 PM December 15, 2008

CoStar.
    612-618 West 47th Street.

Plummeting economy be damned!

A developer called Abram Sabo filed plans on Thursday with the Buildings Department to erect a 14-story, 150-room hotel in the hinterlands of Times Square, at 612 West 47th Street -- that's faaaar, far west, between 11th and 12th avenues.

We called Mr. Sabo to ask him what hotel chain he was working with, what he could be thinking, and the like. But he wouldn't answer our questions.

Given the financial climate, building a new hotel doesn't seem like the wisest of decisions. As The Observer'sChris Shott posted last week, occupancy rates nationwide plummeted annually in the first week of December.

Mr. Shott also reported:
    New York City hotels experienced one of the largest decreases in revenue among all top 25 U.S. markets, earning 22 percent less than the same time frame last year -- down to $283.01 per available room, according to the latest figures.

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...re-hinterlands

2008 Observer Media Group

Per the DOB New Building Application for that one ^ there's no Architect listed as of yet, just a PE on the filing.

According to lowermanhattan.info:

130 Cedar Street

After several months of careful coordination with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), preparations for the 130 Cedar Street building conversion began in summer 2007. Decontamination of the former office building concluded in early June 2008. Deconstruction down to the building's steel beams and reinforced-concrete frame will continue through summer 2008. Construction will follow through early 2010, with contractor Laval Construction adding seven new stories to the existing 12 (including a penthouse floor). The new, 19-story tower will house a new hotel with retail and restaurants.

Daily Activities

The following information was last updated on December 19, 2008.
    • Decontamination/abatement of the existing 12-story structure was completed in early June 2008
    • Construction began in July 2008 and is expected to be complete by early 2010; steel delivery underway in June 2008
    • A crane will be installed on Cedar Street on October 25, 2008 through January 9, 2009.
    • Air monitoring is active at the site.
    Pics I took with a camera phone today...

Does anyone know what this building looked like before they stripped it down?

Default 130 Cedar Street.

I think this is it, next to 90 West Street.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/LM076.htm
    Last edited by brianac; December 30th, 2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Add title

Default More, 130 Cedar Street

130 Cedar Street Has Something to Say

Main PageDamaged Buildings Outside WTC Complex

Don't you dare to forget me just because I'm small! I may not be famous, nobody mentions me when they talk about 9/11, but I do still exist! You had all the nice comments about my neighbor 90 West Street. I may be small and squeezed between 90 West St. and the former Bankers Trust buildings. I may not be an architectural landmark. But I have a story to tell as well.

You know, I too write here because conspiracy theorist don't even know I had fires, let alone that I exist. But let me tell you something, I was hit and I was hit bad.

I was completed in 1931, designed by architects Renwick, Aspinwall & Guard. You can see my 12 floor, 165ft tall figure in this photo.

Up until 9/11 I had 135 000 square feet of office space and employed 485 people. Then disaster struck.

When the south tower fell, falling debris and column sections caused destruction. Parts of my northeast corner collapsed under the debris. A column section from WTC 2 penetrated the 10th floor roof slab. The projectile impacts also lit fires, which occurred primarily above the 9th floor. Fire damage was evident on the 11th and 12th floors in the northwest corner. Several concrete columns were cracked, possibly from the impact. Several bays at the northeast corner were severely damaged from debris impact.

Concrete samples from two fire locations indicated that my concrete structure may have experienced fire temperatures of between 315 C (600 F) and 590 C (1,100 F). Spalling of capitals was observed in the fire areas.

But I stood strong. I am a reinforced concrete structure with setbacks at the 10th, 11th, and 12th floors and I also have masonry infill walls. Luckily all the people managed to evacuate before I was struck, and nobody perished here.

But I lost all my tenants. And they also gave me this cover that I have worn ever since September 2001, take a look.

Things have not been going too well for a long time. But things are getting better. A decontamination process began in 2007. The EPA is carefully monitoring every step to insure safety. Under the plan, my every surface will be cleaned and inspected from the top down using a four-floor "buffer zone" between the clean floors and deconstruction areas. The deconstruction will strip me to my concrete superstructure, and undamaged concrete elements will be reused for my redevelopment.

But after all this I will be newly born. And have 7 more floors! It will be 19 floors soon including a penthouse floor, folks! Not so small anymore, ha? After that I will host a new hotel with retail and restaurants. I can't wait for that. I'll be back.

So you know what, when people tell you no other buildings besides those belonging to the WTC complex had fires, remember me. Also remember my decorated neighbor 90 West Street. We struggled. But we survived. Life goes on. Can't wait for those additional floors!

More information about 130 Cedar Street:
    http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...ins_13614.aspx
    http://www.epa.gov/wtc/demolish_deco.../130_cedar.htm
    http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...orkcity-ny-usa
    http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/fema403_ch7.pdf

http://911guide.googlepages.com/130cedar
    Last edited by brianac; December 30th, 2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Formatting

Yes that is the building! Art deco I see.

Great find brianiac, thanks.

It has always looked diminuitive compared to its more larger neighbors so I guess this should be a positive addition.

Of course ultimately the design of the addition will determine if it'll turn out well or not.

Happy to help.

Work is progressing on the Union Square Hotel. I'm surprised that the walls of the original building have not collapsed...

More from A Fine Blog here.

That one ^ had a steel structure built within to keep the old one from falling down.

Farther uptown is a collapse of a different sort ...

A sign of these hard times: This hotel deal looks to be unraveling and the Donnell Library might not be going anywhere soon ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

New York Public Library’s Donnell Branch to Share Space With Hotel

I know that, I was refering to the fact it's by McSam.