Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 957-961 First Avenue (between 52nd and 53rd St.)

Default 957-961 First Avenue (between 52nd and 53rd St.)

Three mid-block walkups, two of which still had their cornices and looked good, are in the process of being demolished on the West side of First Avenue between 52nd and 53rd streets.

The buildings had been warehoused for some time, but still had a restaurant and a bakery as retail tenants up until one year ago.

I haven't been able to dig much up about what's planned, except that the owner has recently taken out several million dollars in mortgages, so I imagine we'll see a tower o' condos.

Here's some shots of the site I took this afternoon:

Context looking West (53rd street is to the right, 52nd street is to the left)

The site itself

Close up of the site -- you can still see the outlines of the three buildings as they are being demolished

Context looking Northwest to the Southwest corner of 53rd street and 1st Avenue --- that corner building with the pub is NOT part of the site

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

No doubt the condo will be ugly and will have a bank branch at the base.

Lose: restaurant and bakery

Gain: Bank of America branch

Turtle Bay has escaped getting ugly buildings....310 E 53rd, Veneto, the Milan, and the Grand Beekman all look fine to me. The retail is lousy of course though. At least the corner pub is saved....hopefully they have the air rights.

If asked about this a few months back because I live in the area. Rumor has it that a rental is going up. The original plan was for a condo.

Quote Originally Posted by courious View Post
    If asked about this a few months back because I live in the area. Rumor has it that a rental is going up. The original plan was for a condo.
    Any idea how big?

I heard 30 storys. I wish I knew who the developers were.

Wink

Does not look like any loss here. However, turtle bay does not seem to be on the map for the really good architects. Taller and newer crap is better than shorter and older crap. Overall it should be a gain. It may even be nice.

Default as long as the green goblin is unharmed

I like that building he lives in the movie, even if he gives spidey a hard time. It's way better than spidey's tenement.

The Dude Abides

The backside of 310 E. 53rd looks great in that picture. Don't think I had seen it before. Thanks macreator!

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc View Post
    Does not look like any loss here. However, turtle bay does not seem to be on the map for the really good architects. Taller and newer crap is better than shorter and older crap. Overall it should be a gain. It may even be nice.
    I'm not so sure considering it's a midblock site on the avenue. It reminds me of a site further up First Avenue between 60th and 61st streets which resulted in the construction of a very mediocre brick high rise with 20 floors of blank wall on its North and South sides because of its midblock location on the avenue. No doubt the fact that it could only be marketed with a First Avenue address resulted in its units being sold cheaper and thus overall quality being lower end.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    The backside of 310 E. 53rd looks great in that picture. Don't think I had seen it before. Thanks macreator!
    I actually much prefer the backside of 310 to its terrace-cluttered frontside.

That one on first in the 60s is an O'Hara/Senior Living Options concoction, the same duo that brought us the extreme POS on west 42nd. It is deplorable....there's also a new POS with exposed air conditioners right next to the tram. Both are shameful.

30 stories sounds about right with air rights, my bet would be a Kondylis or SLCE building.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    That one on first in the 60s is an O'Hara/Senior Living Options concoction, the same duo that brought us the extreme POS on west 42nd. It is deplorable....there's also a new POS with exposed air conditioners right next to the tram. Both are shameful.
    Indeed, it's a real shame stuff like this is built in New York City, more reason for the City to establish an architectural commission.

In other news, the site is getting close to being totally cleared. Pretty quick process, whatever is being built, it looks like the developers want it done quick.

Word on the street is that the building on the right, which houses Parnell's Pub (in red), is about to be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post
    Word on the street is that the building on the right, which houses Parnell's Pub (in red), is about to be sold.
    Good. I'm sure it was nice once, but it no longer is. 1st Ave. is such a depressing dump. I used to live on York (an equal dump) and hated it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast