Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Astor Place - Condo - East Village - by Gwathmey Siegel

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Im not overally impressed with the deisgn either.

Yeah? I think it looks nice, not too special, but i think its pretty nice, esp. the base.

Also, this is near Union square right?

Also, this is near Union square right?
    Yes.

Yeah? I think it looks nice, not too special, but i think its pretty nice, esp. the base.
    The square base is the most boring part of the project and the tower is dull compared to previous proposals from Koolhas and Gehry.

Astor Place condominium on 24 December 2004.

you know, it doesnt quite fit in with the neighborhood, all those brick buildings around there
    ...eh well, i still think it looks nice, we'll be able to tell even better when it is completed and the skin is finished

Forum Veteran

Damn that's a fine (and pretty) shot!

View south from 4th Ave.

It's OK, but in my opinion, the glass is too blue and too mirrored. Like an Alabama sheriff's sunglasses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	astor_pl_01c.jpg 
Views:	1199 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	41  

Forum Veteran

Heh, Zippy, that brought to mind the scene from Meet the Fockers with the very Southern highway patrolman.

Nice... I just wish it was taller though.

Default The Architects for Cooper Square

Charles Gwathmey, FAIA

Charles Gwathmey received his Master of Architecture degree in 1962 from Yale University, where he won both The William Wirt Winchester Fellowship as the outstanding graduate and a Fulbright Grant.

In the decades since, Mr. Gwathmey has been honored with the Brunner Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1970 and elected to the Academy in 1976. In 1983, he won the Medal of Honor from the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and in 1985, he received the first Yale Alumni Arts Award from the Yale School of Architecture. Three years later, the Guild Hall Academy of Arts awarded Mr. Gwathmey its Lifetime Achievement Medal in Visual Arts, followed in 1990 by a Lifetime Achievement Award from the New York State Society of Architects.

Mr. Gwathmey has served as President of the Board of Trustees for The Institute of Architecture and Urban Studies and was elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1981.

From 1965 through 1991, Mr. Gwathmey taught at Pratt Institute, Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, Princeton University, Columbia University, the University of Texas, and the University of California at Los Angeles. He was Davenport Professor (1983 and 1999) and Bishop Professor (1991) at Yale, and the Eliot Noyes Visiting Professor at Harvard University (1985).

Robert Siegel, FAIA

Robert Siegel graduated from Pratt Institute with a Bachelor of Architecture degree in 1962 and received his Master of Architecture degree from Harvard University in 1963.

In 1983, the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects recognized Mr. Siegel’s skill and leadership as an architect with its Medal of Honor. He received the Pratt Institute Centennial Alumni Award in Architecture in 1988 and in 1990 accepted a Lifetime Achievement Award from the New York State Society of Architects. He was elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1991.

Throughout his professional career, Mr. Siegel has served as a design critic, juror, and lecturer at schools of architecture and professional organizations. In 1983, he organized the Pratt Institute Student Intern Program within the Gwathmey Siegel office—part of his continuing interest in nurturing the skills of talented young architects.

Robert Siegel is Chairman of the Board of Trustees and a member of the Executive Committee of Pratt Institute in New York City. Previously he served as a member of the Harvard University Graduate School of Design Alumni Advisory Committee.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Archit_K; February 5th, 2005 at 04:57 PM.

Default Astor Place

These are some pictures I took last year in Dec. Has anybody been by the site today?

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	491 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	498 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	526 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	481 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	496 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	124  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	477 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	522 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	126  

If only the glass were as translucent as it appears in the corner shot. Did I miss something or is it really Not the early nineties and mirror glass really isn't good looking in the middle of a bunch of brick buildings...

Banned Member

During the day, viewingthe building from a block north, by the uptown IRT entrance, the mirrored glass looks excellent. It gives a sharded, cubist reflection of the 19th and early 20th century NY Buildings around it. A very bold statemet for a place where a safe, neutral building might have been expected.

Default Astor Place

I past by the site yesterday. I hope you enjoy.

Name:	Robert Siegel.JPG 
Views:	679 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robert Siegel 2.JPG 
Views:	928 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	209  

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast