Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: William Beaver House - 15 William Street - Condo - by Tsao & McKown Architects

Digging out the foundation.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

A rendering would be nice. Derek, are listening?

Default No activity in a week

Everyone has disappeared from this site for the past week. Very odd. Does anyone have any information?

we are all rather upset.

Maybe they saw a rendering and got scared.

Default Eleven Madison Avenue

The previous page back there (sorry, I do not know how to quote pictures and things) has reference to "Eleven Madison Avenue" which could support a 100 story building. Does anyone have anymore renderings of what the original building was supposed to look like?

Also, am I correct that the owners of 15 William st also own that building as well?

Also I then assume that the owners also own the ~700 tower next to Eleven Madison Avenue - which I believe is going to be converted to condos. I say that, because I walked through Madison Park yesterday and saw that there is a sky bridge connecting the two.

Any info is welcome.

My interest in 15 William Street is more...personal. I live across the street and therefore it is part of my day-to-day life. After a year of pile driving, we had 9 months of silence while the property changed hands. Work began again in February, and we steeled ourselves for the 2-year onslaught. Now...silence again...not a soul at the site since last Thursday except for some stray jackhammering on Saturday. Oddly like before.

Any information is appreciated...thanks.

Default 15 william st 1928-32

sorry to jump in on ur form but it's the only thing that came up when i entered 15 william st i have letters dating back to the 20's that were sent from this address they are titled bigelow and beatty counselors at law
    the last letter is dated 1932
    i was wondering if anyone had any information on the history of the building
    or when it was pulled down
    any info would be appreciated THANKS
    Last edited by kenny; April 11th, 2006 at 06:21 PM.

The 11-story structure to which you refer, at 15 William Street, was built in 1894 by the Corn Exchange Bank. It is part of a property foreclosed by the city in 1979 that also includes 23 William Street and 51-53 Beaver Street. According to Chistopher Gray, the architectural historian, the building at 15 William Street and the adjoining 20-story structure at 51-53 Beaver Street, erected by the bank in 1903, were designed in a neo-Romanesque style by R. H. Robertson.

More information here about this building:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...52C1A961948260

I walked there today and there is lot of activity at the site.

I am not too familiar with this new tower location in downtown but I found this... This wouldn't be the site right?

The downtown manhattan skyscraper project:

Post 9/11 the property prices in downtown fell drastically but the resilience of the New York property market is legendary, it has recovered that slump and the property market in the downtown area in and around wall street and fulton street is picking up again. The scheme is an insert into a typical downtown street front; only that it does not recede from the street as it moves upwards. the 40 storey scheme challenges building use and protype in the surrounding area and develops 5 categories of USE: retail . office . condominium . hotel. parking . Parking garages in this area are scarce and exisitng building floor plates and no open land have tremendously limited parking. Using the latest in car lift technology 4 stories below ground are dedicated to public parking for the neighbourhood. Congestion in the tunnels and connections to the nearest airports take up a good amount of time in rush hours to reach the business district; this provoked the design of a twin helipad on the top most floor to cater to the executives of the investment banking firms in the area and a dedicated high speed lift to the concourse allows for a quick land to air link.

The form was developed after wind tunnel studies to reduce wind loads, its almost an answer to the years of weathering. It also allows for strategic views of manhattan to 2/3 of its occupants. As a urban design strategy the building reflects the proportions of horizontal bands of its adjacent neighbours.

http://www.hybridarch.com/manhattan/main.htm

From the New York Times re the building formerly here:

THE city sold the buildings without preservation restrictions and for several years the New York Landmarks Conservancy, a private, nonprofit group, has been urging the Landmarks Commission at least to consider the buildings for designation. And on Oct. 23, Community Board 1 formally asked the commission for a hearing on the buildings.

But Park Tower Realty, the current owner, has had valid demolition permits for over a year, and Marjorie Pearson, director of research for the Landmarks Commission, said that it is now unable to act.
    Sound familiar?

"Unable to act."

Really: unwilling to act.

These guys are shills.

that building is ridiculous.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy

Imagine coming across that thing if you had a hangover -

Kind of like the architectural version of this:

:: click :: ^^ to play

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0954/

Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast