Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amazin' Mets

I went to the game Sunday night. Lousy seats, sec 44 upper deck, row S; but there were a dozen of us and we had a good time. Two Philly fans right in front of us.

Gotta do one more Yankee Stadium visit.

^That's like tonight - a bunch of us on crappy company seats - I'm in Row U somewhere. But it should be fun.

Very much looking forward to going to Yankee Stadium one last time this Saturday with my brothers thanks to my sister-in-law who got my one brother the tickets for all of us and his flight out here as a birthday gift.

Nothing amazing about 'em tonight....
    another last minute failure!

As one of my friends put it: "I hate waiting till next year" This lost just hurts, it hurts so damn it didn't even set in yet. For the 2nd straight year, we lost on the final day, to the same team, and missed the playoffs.... Expect BIG changes in 2009. BTW, gonna miss you. Shea..

Angry "amazin"

What some people dont seem to realize is that the "Amazin" tag works both ways...

Amazingly they posted a record of 40-120 in 62...
    Amazingly the ball bounced off the top of the wall in 73...
    Amazingly they traded Nolan Ryan...
    Amazingly the ball went through Buckners legs...
    Amaizingly Kenny Rogers walking in the game winning run in the 12th inning for the Braves in 99...
    Amazingly Robin Ventura hit a grand slam and only got credited for a single...
    Amaizingly Endy Chaves levitated over the wall to rob the Cardinals of a HR (and still lost)...
    Amazingly despite good hiting and starting pitching the Mets bullpen last year cost them a 7 game lead, and, with everything on the line for the last game in which in a reversal of fate the starter gave up 6 runs and the bullpen tidily cleaned up the mess and did not let anymore runs score.....neither did the mets offense for the entire game...

This year, Amazingly Santanas bat last Tuesday hit the ball twice- once at home plate and after it broke during the swing it hit the ball AGAIN in between the 1st and 2nd base to not only prevent a double play but to allow Santana to reach 1st base safely...

Amazingly again this not only with a disguting bullpen but unsightly clutch hitting they blew (like cheap call girls) a 3 Game lead down the stretch.....

It just works both ways!

This has been a deplorable team to root for the past 2 years.....
    Last edited by TREPYE; September 28th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.

The Wilpons need to fire Omar Minaya, end of story.

The Amazin' tag was given to the Mets by the Old Perfesser, Casey Stengel, when he was manager of an awful (but lovable) team.

"Those Mets are gonna be amazin'."

Casey made a few other remarks that might apply to the present group:

“If we're going to win the pennant, we've got to start thinking we're not as good as we think we are.”

“Most ball games are lost, not won.”

Subtract Santana, Pelfrey, Beltran. Subtract those at the end of careers.

What's left has no heart, no grit.

Did anyone here that big loud COUGH yesterday coming from queens. I think it was coming from the Worlds Fair area no wait its from Shea...........chokers again

^^^ Disapointment? Yes. Heartbreaking? Yep. Total Letdown? You bet. Choke? Not Really. What happend to the Mets is they just ran outta gas. Not to make any excusses, this team just had well, no heart going down the final weeks. Reyes once again disapeared in the big spot. Wright was hitting well over .300 in September, but swinging at 3-0 with the bases juiced to strikeout is just silly! Lets not even start on the bullpen! more like bull$&*%! The Mets need arms in the pen; that is obvious. K-Rod is on the market, but I know the Angels will throw massive about of $$$ at him. Espeicially after having this record breaking season in saves, I will also like the Mets to after the Marlins SS, Ramirez. That way, they can put him on Second, and still have Reyes at short. Get rid of Castillo! Omar was a fool to sign him to that 4 year contract.

Anyboy else got someone they would like on the Mets? How about Sabathia? The Brewers aren't going to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
    The Wilpons need to fire Omar Minaya, end of story.
    This is why I was so pissed when Omar dropped Willie! It wasn't his fault that the team was playing this way. You have guys who make millions of dollars a year, and they couldn't even produce because they didn't "like" the way Willie was handling the team? What ever happend to being a pro? Buncha cry-babies is what that is. At least Manuel is back.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    This is why I was so pissed when Omar dropped Willie! It wasn't his fault that the team was playing this way. You have guys who make millions of dollars a year, and they couldn't even produce because they didn't "like" the way Willie was handling the team? What ever happend to being a pro? Buncha cry-babies is what that is. At least Manuel is back.
    Omega
    they need to get rid of Jerry, they need a fresh start and its starts with the manager......bullpen help and then starters.....the ability to win games in September will remain until they cut ties with Jerry,

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

So it wasn't Willie Randolph's fault for last year's collapse after all.

I think sometimes its better to start anew than figure out wtf just happened

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    ^^^ Disapointment? Yes. Heartbreaking? Yep. Total Letdown? You bet. Choke? Not Really. What happend to the Mets is they just ran outta gas. Not to make any excusses, this team just had well, no heart going down the final weeks. Reyes once again disapeared in the big spot. Wright was hitting well over .300 in September, but swinging at 3-0 with the bases juiced to strikeout is just silly! Lets not even start on the bullpen! more like bull$&*%! The Mets need arms in the pen; that is obvious. K-Rod is on the market, but I know the Angels will throw massive about of $$$ at him. Espeicially after having this record breaking season in saves, I will also like the Mets to after the Marlins SS, Ramirez. That way, they can put him on Second, and still have Reyes at short. Get rid of Castillo! Omar was a fool to sign him to that 4 year contract.

Anyboy else got someone they would like on the Mets? How about Sabathia? The Brewers aren't going to keep him.
    These guys got tight again in the big spots......you have seen it with the yankees these past couple of years....when the yankees were winning those champinoships years ago they had some experienced guys who could deal with the preasure...and also a little luck remember jamie moyer

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The problem with the Yankees (the Mets should also pay attention as they seem to be heading down the same road) the past 5 or so years, was...

1) getting rid of their prospects through trades for short-term, veteran help,

2) blindly just signing the "best", most high-profiled players on the free agent market instead of players, that although might not have the best credentials, but was a better fit with a team,

3) also obsessing with superstars regardless of whether they have heart or not.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast