Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Museum of American Art expansion - by Renzo Piano

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    That sucks. They should go to the Bronx or NJ. That building and the asphalt lot along West Street look awful and detract from this beautiful area.
    We gotta leave some stuff for the next generation to play with.

I want the next generation to revitalize the Bronx. I envision a beautiful urban area all around Yankee Stadium and other parts of the Bronx. I also want them to remodel Sunnyside rail yards in Queens.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Don't hold your breath. Mayor Mike announced today that they've just negotiated to be in that spot for another 20 years.

Those meat businesses service lots of downtown restaurants. You can't chase out all the supporting businesses where folks are actually doing work keep the fancy shmancy places up and going.
    There will be no meat businesses left in the Meat Market 10 years from now. The largest remaining purveyor just announced they're leaving for Jersey.

It makes zero economic sense to subsidize these businesses. They're already 95% gone. The only ones left have city-subsidized rents or (in one or two cases) own their own buildings.

And the announced "20 year lease" isn't a conventional lease. The city can break it anytime (with penalty, of course).

And the Whitney has first dibs on that entire site. They'll probably expand once the last meat merchant moves to the Bronx or Jersey, where they belong.

Then why did Mayor Bloomberg announce at the groundbreaking that the meat co-op had just finalized a deal to allow them to stay in place for another 20 years?

From today at MikeBloomberg.com:

The Gansevoort Meat Market, a cooperative of independently-owned businesses under lease with the City that specialize in the wholesale distribution and processing of meat for many of the region’s top restaurants and hotels, has been operating at the same site since 1974, with meat businesses existing there since the 1950’s. The lease, previously set to expire in 2014, has now been extended 20 years to 2031 with new boundaries to allow for development of the new Whitney Museum and adjacent High Line support facility, ensuring that Manhattan’s only meat cooperative continue its important role in the City’s industrial sector.

“For almost four decades, the Gansevoort Meat Market has been the only constant business enterprise in this ever changing neighborhood,” said John Jobbagy, Vice President of the market. “Thanks to Mayor Bloomberg, we look forward with great confidence to the next 20 years as market tenants and welcome the Whitney to our block.”

Machines!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Bulky, graceless, geometrically senseless . Completely inconsistent with the design qualities of the NYtimes Tower. Except the white I would NEVER guess that it was the same architect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhstockton View Post
    Ohhh... this one's gonna have a nickname. That West St. facade looks like something, but I haven't figured it out yet.
    Yeah it does, a refrigerator part.

Amen on the resemblance to a refrigerator component.

I consistently find myself disliking Renzo Piano's work. There are occasionally elements of his designs that I like, but the whole is never as good as certain individual parts. For example, in this case I do like the terraces and the transparent staircase enclosures.

Yet overall, this building is tragically ugly. Is this honestly the best that we could have done here, prominently right at the end of the High Line?

I don't understand why so many people hire him for these big profile projects. In my opinion, the Emperor has no clothes.

It's all going to come down to the materials they use for the exterior. Glad I don't live across Gansevoort Street with big windows looking to the north.

Hudson wants to take back its old shoreline here.

Piano takes what I call the inside/out approach to architectural design: and the results here isIMHO an overall excellent design.

This approach basically is a design concept that evolves from the perspective of the building users. The entire building is in effect being designed sequentially to provide a series of experiential spaces which best accommodate room function and layout. The starting point is not about how the building 'looks' from outside; the starting point is function, light, views, and how to best circulate visitors through the building.

The design is first and foremost about the requirement for Interior spaces and volumes, such as lecture theatres, exhibition roomsand etc: all of which should be planned and designed to aid the orientation and wayfinding of the new visitor. Once all those programmatic issues have been sorted you 'end up' with an overall exterior form that is then aesthetically enhanced with various formal adjustments and tasteful materials selections.

I find this to be a very handsome and architecturally interesting 'looking' building from the outside: and will provide an excellent user experience on the 'inside'.

It is no surprise to me why this particular architect is doing so many major new buildings here in NYC. IN other words Renzo Piano Rocks.
    Last edited by infoshare; February 23rd, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Piano takes what I call the inside/out approach to architectural design: and the results here isIMHO an overall excellent design. This approach basically is a design concept that evolves from the perspective of the building users. The entire building is in effect being designed sequentially to provide a series of experiential spaces which best accommodate
    room function and layout. The starting point is not about how the building 'looks' from outside; the starting point is function, light, views, and how to best circulate visitors through the building.
    The design is first and foremost about the requirement for Interior spaces and volumes, such as lecture theatres, exhibition roomsand etc: all of which should be planned and designed to aid the orientation and wayfinding of the new visitor.
    Once all those programmatic issues have been sorted you 'end up' with an overall exterior form that is then aesthetically enhanced with various formal adjustments and tasteful materials selections.
    I find this to be a very handsome and architecturally interesting 'looking' building from the outside: and will provide an excellent user experience on the 'inside'.

It is no surprise to me why this particular architect is doing so many major new buildings here in NYC. IN other words Renzo Piano Rocks.
    I'm sure its very good architecture in theory and very functional, but why do so many people find it looks so dull, boring, and factory-like? Something inspiring is needed in this artsy creative area, not this clunky pile that resembles a converted industrial building. I'm really tired of Piano. He hasn't approached the quality of the Shard in NYC. The NY times building is average and so is this.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    resembles a converted industrial building.
    That's what the area is.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast