Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Museum of American Art expansion - by Renzo Piano

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

For the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    That's what the area is.
    Let's face it, it's true, but factories don't make the prettiest buildings. I'm disappointed in this approach and would rather have seen something easier on the eye!

factories don't make the prettiest buildings
    That's a matter of opinion... I live in an ex factory building and think it looks just fine.
    Some of the best looking buildings in the city are old factory buildings.
    Although it has it's flaws (what building doesn't), The Whitneys new museum will make a wonderful addition
    to the area- just the way it is.

Any one have/find any updated photos?

I have some photos from last week, but they are trapped at home on my iPad. They have some great looking supports in there, and the foundations for the highline maintenance center that was separated from this project are done. Still may already be going in for it.

I lied. I guess I did upload them to flickr... They're from 8 days ago.

Great photos... thanks for posting. Its very interesting to watch them excavate, planing on making a trip & when I get over there I will post the photos I get.

Love two buildings being built next to one another at the same time. I wonder how the construction managers of each site feel.

4-6-12

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    I'm sure its very good architecture in theory and very functional, but why do so many people find it looks so dull, boring, and factory-like? Something inspiring is needed in this artsy creative area, not this clunky pile that resembles a converted industrial building. I'm really tired of Piano. He hasn't approached the quality of the Shard in NYC. The NY times building is average and so is this.
    Architects don't always deliver the same calibre in different cities. Foster penned a masterpiece for NY at 2 WTC, and a dull box for my beloved London at the Legal & General site. Similarly, KPF designed a rather boring tower on Bishopsgate and a masterpiece for the Hudson Yards.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; April 12th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

I find it interesting that we look to architecture to mirror the culture of the area (artsy) vs. the architectural character of the area (dull and factory like). The Highline ran through most of these buildings to drop off materials for manufacturing and then take out finished goods. I think something that is on the, eh, "dull" side is more fitting. I do think the wild mix of architecture over here does add character to the area, but I don't think everything here needs to be a hotel upside-down, or twist, or have 1000 different windows either (despite how much I like those buildings!).

Crane is up at the Whitney site, and framing is about half complete to street level.

The assemblage of buildings on the block to the south (Washington-Horatio-West-Gansevoort Sts) is included in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. New retail opened in response to the High Line, and it looks like the rest of Gansevoort St, long a dead zone, is gearing up for the Whitney.

I don't know if the meat wholesaler at the corner of West and Gansevoort is still in operation, but if so, I think it'll be gone within the next few years. There was an event-catering business on West St, since replaced by a Brother Jimmy's BBQ.

At the corner of Horatio St, there's a French bistro called The Bakehouse. I've been by a few times; haven't gone in yet, but it seems nice. Do their own baking in a basement shop. Good reviews, but the owners really should avoid promotional statements like "fantastic views of the Hudson."

LOL
    Well, you can at least see a bit of the river.

Horatio St is quite nice, completely different from the north side.

That full block building along Gansevoort opposite the Whitney (The West Coast Apartments - formerly the Manhattan Refrigeration Company - aka 95 Horatio) recently got the Approval from the LPC for big changes here, including new infill along the West Street frontage and the addition of some big cooling towers up top. The winning argument for the cooling towers was that the Whitney is so humongous that it will block all views of the new roof-top equipment (except for a little sliver visible in from a distance here or there). The cooling towers will rise to ~ 160 feet, but the Whitney will rise to 162.76' (not including the massive mechanicals that will go on top there).

So much for River Views from most of the West Coast luxury lofts.

and cooling towers are LOUD, they installed two on the pretzel place behind me,
    and it sounds like a muffled base droning on and on....

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast