Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Whitney Museum of American Art expansion - by Renzo Piano

Given all the recent real-estate interest in this particular area, how much longer can the above food plant survive?

The City recently extended the lease for this meat market co-op by 20 years (but that didn't stop co-op members from re-locating to New Jersey shortly thereafter). I give this site another 10 years max before it's redeveloped (I could shift that, depending on the size of the current bubble ).

The monstrosity under construction next door probably has put a damper on any redevelopment of the meat market site. What would have formerly been sunset views for condo owners have been replaced by something which resembles one of those MTA temporary vent shafts, only twice as tall and designed by someone on acid.

1.) I doubt the people buying apartments here would think it's a monstrosity.
    2.) That's an odd angle for the sun to be setting.
    3.) If what gets built here is remotely tall, the limited-view apartments will end up as hotel/maids apartments like in every other ultra-rich skyscraper in town.

Quote Originally Posted by nykid17 View Post

Given all the recent real-estate interest in this particular area, how much longer can the above food plant survive?
    I hate that meat market.

©tectonic

I have been trying to make sense of this wretched contraption since it started rising from the ground. Could it be some sort commentary on cubism? Not to besmirch Picasso, but I do see a passing resemblance.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post

That would be a good 'excuse' - claiming the architectural design is intended to be a riff on "cubism". That photo, with the standard hotel in appropriately in the background, captures two of the most hideous buildings constructed under the pretense of being iconic 'ARCHITECTURE'. Many would disagree - understandably - but the Whitney is just oddly interesting looking, and the standard hotel is just oddly unattractive: but they both get an 'A' for effort.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

There has been so much bad architecture in this city, I'm just numb to it all now.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    That would be a good 'excuse' - claiming the architectural design is intended to be a riff on "cubism". That photo, with the standard hotel in appropriately in the background, captures two of the most hideous buildings constructed under the pretense of being iconic 'ARCHITECTURE'. Many would disagree - understandably - but the Whitney is just oddly interesting looking, and the standard hotel is just oddly unattractive: but they both get an 'A' for effort.
    I like the standard, but I still think it failed, in the end, because it didn't get the upside-down standard sign that would have really made it stick that it was a building flipped. The lobby on the top floor remains a clever play on the the whole thing. That said, I do not get the Whitney, and I sorta feel bad that I don't.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It certainly looks better in the front, for the benefit of New Jersey (I guess?).

The New Whitney Museum Looks Power Plant Chic

by Jen Carlson

(Photo by Ben Jay/Gothamist)

The new Whitney Museum, which is currently being constructed by the southern end of the High Line, will finally open next year, four years after the ground breaking. The 8-story, Renzo Piano-designed building sits on Gansevoort Street between the Hudson and the High Line, and is the cultural cherry on top of the now transformed area.

So what will you be staring at when you take your Sunday stroll down the renovated elevated tracks? We swung by the area today, as the building is nearing completion (at least the exterior), and It kind of looks like... an Eastern European furnace factory? A giant refrigerator? The skull of a Transformer? A power plant? Rosie the robot? To be fair, the museum has to be careful with its window placement due to sunlight's deleterious effect on paintings and other artworks.

Once complete, the building will feature "a dramatically cantilevered plaza, or ‘largo’, a public space that serves as a kind of decompression chamber between street and museum... a main entrance lobby that also serves as a public gallery, a cafe, and and a 170-retractible seat theatre with double-height views over the Hudson River."

http://gothamist.com/2014/10/09/the_...um.php#photo-1