Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitney Museum of American Art expansion - by Renzo Piano

There is a separate 4-story HL Maintenance & Operations building, also by Piano, that will slot into the NE corner of that outlined lot.

From Curbed:

Renzo Piano and the High Line Duet for the Maintenance Men

Thanks. I forgot all about that.

So that's where the elevator and restrooms will go. I guess the roof will be like a garden.

The elevator will be at the junction of the Whitney & the HL M&O building, planned to connect to the HL via a "bridges" made of metal grating like the walkways near the Chelsea Market and what's going in at the new Flyover in Section 2 (neither of the new buildings will actually touch the HL). The restrooms are planned for the M&O building at street level (along with a cafe fronting onto the plaza below the HL at Gansevoort / Washington).

The set back terraces at the Whitney are planned as outdoor sculpture gardens. Not sure what the plan is for the HL M&O rooftop.

an alternate more Brutal (ode to Breuer) idea ...

'Architectural Provocateurs' Hijack Renzo Piano's Whitney Museum

CURBED

Axis Mundi > Architecture > Whitney Downtown

New York architects Axis Mundi have re-imagined the Whitney Downtown Museum with a self-initiated proposal that is raw and provocative, and as bold in spirit as the original Breuer building on Madison Avenue ...

With an intense sculptural presence, the Axis Mundi design represents an historical extension of the Whitney’s commitment to innovative architecture, much as its polygonal windows and raw surfaces pay homage to the original Breuer fenestration and its formal brutalism.

This doesn't seem to comply with zoning in terms of relation to the High Line. And also ignores the needed HL Maintenance & Operations building.
    Last edited by lofter1; September 21st, 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Removed coded images

aha! I didn't know that the forum now re-sizes super big images.

Bravo, Edward!
    Last edited by lofter1; September 21st, 2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Removed coded images

^That worked well .

'Architectural Provocateurs' Hijack Renzo Piano's Whitney Museum

September 20, 2010, by Joey

Architect John Beckmann and his gang of insurgents at Axis Mundi have done it again: They've taken a high-profile Manhattan project designed by one of the world's most famous architects and tossed it in the trash in favor of their own concept. Last time around Axis Mundi came up with a Vertical Neighborhood to replace Jean Nouvel's controversial Tower Verre, and this time they're trained their T-squares on the Meatpacking District—and Renzo Piano is in the crosshairs!

They don't knock Piano's planned High Line-adjacent bunker for the Whitney Museum, but in a press release announcing their design, the "architectural provocateurs" at Axis Mundi say their concept is a continuation of the philosophies developed by Marcel Breuer when he was commissioned for the original Whitney in the early '60s. It's also a tribute! The sculptural building "represents an historical extension of the Whitney’s commitment to innovative architecture, much as its polygonal windows and raw surfaces pay homage to the original Breuer fenestration and its formal brutalism." Other details, not that they'll ever be realized or anything:
    A desire for column-free galleries led the architects to create a perimeter superstructure to contain the staircases, escalators, elevators, and mechanical rooms. This structural lattice allows the galleries to float freely, suspended like bridges, unimpeded by a typical grid structure. The lattice allows light to flood the building in unexpected and dramatic ways, heightening the visitor’s perception of the artwork and the city.
    Cool! Check out Dezeen for more on the design, and then let the necessary discussion begin: Piano or provocateurs?

· Conceptual extension to Whitney Museum of American Art by Axis Mundi [Dezeen]
    · Axis Mundi [axismundi.com]
    · Renzo Piano's Slightly Modified Whitney Museum Revealed [Curbed]
    · Axis Mundi coverage [Curbed]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...useum.php#more

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    aha! I didn't know that the forum now re-sizes super big images.
    I don't see those images in either Firefox or Chrome.

Odd. I use Safari and all but one are showing up (for some reason the "Looking south from the High Line" image is showing up as a little blue box).

hey Lofter that's because your pics are coming from gmail and are protected by password.

Oops. Then I'd better delete them. Sorry, folks. You can see them at the links.

You aren't missing anything. The proposal is beyond awful. About as appropriate a place to display art as Scores is to host a Bible study group.

I can't think of a comparison to describe how it looks in the rendering next to the High Line. Truly terrifying .

The Axis Mundi plan, particularly the perimeter superstructure at ground level, somewhat echoes the brutalist Vaillancourt Fountain (Armand Vaillancourt, sculptor) at Justin Herman Plaza along the Embarcadero in San Francisco, built 1971 in conjunction with the late landscape architect Lawrence Halprin. The fountain was constructed in context with the elevated Embarcadero Freeway that used to run along the SF waterfront until the roadway and ramps were razed following the big 1989 earthquake. During the water crisis in CA earlier this decade the fountain was threatened with removal, not only because many find it ugly but also because it costs a lot of $$ to keep the water flowing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embarc_four525x388.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	10977

^ LOL.

Architect Provocateur Redesigns Renzo, Dings Developers

By Matt Chaban

Last year, John Beckmann and some designers at his firm Axis Mundi decided they were fed up with the proposal for Jean Nouvel's MoMA Tower. "Hines and MoMA have been jamming this down everyone's throat," Mr. Beckmann told the Architect's Newspaper at the time. His solution: Design his own version of the tower, an ironic, pop art pastiche with a Jenga-like construction. The proposal drew quite a bit of attention—in no small part because it was much shorter, though not smaller, than Mr. Nouvel's, clocking in at 50 stories instead of 82. (Perhaps he was on to something as they were later cut down to size by the City Planning Commission.)

The real reason it was so shocking to the design community, though, is because this is just something you don't do, go redesigning other people's buildings. It's a faux pas, to say the least. And Axis Mundi is at it again.

Mr. Beckmann has launched his latest attack this week, striking out at the Whitney's new High Line museum and its architect Renzo Piano (another Pritzker winner). "I just think it's so kneejerk, the way these institutions and boards make these decisions," Mr. Beckmann said from New Hampshire, where he is spending a month at the McDowell Art Colony.

"With Piano, he's just become the go-to guy for these sorts of projects," Mr. Beckmann added. "You know what you're gonna get, the classic Parthenon-on-the-hill building, and I don't think it's right for that site." (New Yorkers may know Mr. Piano from his work at the Morgan Library, the new New York Times building, and Columbia's proposed Manhattanville campus.)

Perhaps with a proposal like this, would Mr. Beckman like to design a museum of his own? "Eli Broad didn't call me and say he's reconsidering Diller Scofidio," the architect admitted. At first he said that the purpose of these projects was not to win new work—the firm's doing fine, thank you very much, having just started on a 6,000-square-foot apartment on the Upper West Side and finishing up a few others—or to attract attention. Later on in the conversation, he reconsidered. "Do we want to get noticed? Of course. Besides, it can't hurt," Mr. Beckmann said. It's a very Web 2.0 approach to architecture.

But it could backfire. At least one prominent New York City architect thinks so:
    "Particularly when there are so many architects creating innovative, daring projects (for actual clients that they have) which will, for a variety of reasons, remain unbuilt, it seems odd to believe that you can distinguish yourself by creating alternate designs for projects that you don't have. I could see if there was a social purpose to it- for example to demonstrate positive social good with an alternate design. But if the point is simply to attract attention to yourself, that seems inappropriate. Also, I don't think it is going to get work (at least with savvy clients). Better to invent a project and pitch that- and there are certainly some pressing problems out there which cry out for designs."
    Mr. Beckmann said if he "ruffles a few feathers," so be it! "I think the architecture profession is incredibly conservative. So yeah, in a way, I'm striking a poker into it. But really, some of these people are so boring. Maybe we're taking a risk, but I think it's worth it." Amen, brother!

It's true that the profession also has a long history of theoreticians and agitators, from Hugh Ferriss to Venturi Scott Brown, from Superstudio to Raimund Abraham. Sadly what unifies such designers is there relative lack of built projects, despite their vision. (The derisive term paper architect was coined for the very purpose of describing such designers.)

Whether Mr. Beckmann's agressively self-promotional style—and architecture—can succeed remains to be seen. Especially if his own predictions come true. "Everyone's at the mercy of the developers, especially in New York City, which doesn't have very many enlightened developers," he said. "I think, coming out of this recession, it's going to be very bad in terms of good design. There will be no risks taken anymore."

Good luck with all that.

http://www.observer.com/2010/real-es...gn=real-estate

/\/\/\

Some of the things he says are right on the mark.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast