Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New York in Black and White

Default Need framable quality prints

Hi All, this forum is a great find. I have been doing research for the past several months looking for historic photographs of New York, in particular downtown NY to decorate an office. I have a small collection of candidates mostly from the New York Times Store, Shorpy, NY Public Library and the Museum of the City of NY. However, there are loads of photos I see in this thread that are not found on these sites, which are reputable and can guarantee a certain level of quality for framing and hanging. I would very much appreciate if the contributors to this thread can point me to where I can buy these photos, enlarged to fit a frame approximately 24 x 19". Thanks!

Last edited by alexei_yushchenko; August 3rd, 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Richard Sandler’s 80s: When Greed was Good

34th Street, 1980

New York City street photographer Richard Sandler was handed a Leica in 1977, a simple action that changed the vector of his life. He began photographing the streets of New York, tapping into the pulse of the 80s. “You are recording your time,” says Sandler. “You are looking for trends. If you are in the street, you see it. You see everything on the street.” From his 5th avenue furs to the graffiti strewn subways, Sandler brings the grit and the glamor of the Reagan era to the surface.

You won’t see Sandler on the streets much anymore. He feels cell phones have robbed photographers of their subjects. “There is nothing more boring, nothing more nondescript and vacant than a person on a cell phone walking down the street. They seem to be out of the game,” Sandler says. “People are walking around in bubbles.”

These days you will find Sandler making films—a medium he finds infinitely easier than still photography. His Gods of Times Square won critical praise is 2000. Sandler is currently working on a documentary about the history of Martha’s Vineyard.

More work from Richard Sandler is available on his website.

realy nice posts I like NY in black and white.

Default the Palladiun ballroom(1949-1962)

Dear sirs Im looking for information or pictures showing the Palladiun ballroom(1949-1962) located at 53 st and Broadway ,i believe it used to be a car dealer in the 30s,The Palladim Ballroom(Maxwell Hyman owner) was located opposite to the famous jazz places like the Birdland and others,the train station is close to it

ablarc--
    I'm SO glad you resisted the impulse to delete this thread--it's fantastic!! Thank you!!!
    I lived in New York from 1964-67, worked at CBS-TV and then in the PR Dept. at the Parks Dept. when Tom Hoving was there. Am now writing a novel that takes place in the city in 1867. Here's the URL for my earlier book, to which this will be a sequel: http:www.hallamswar.com

Back from long hibernation (i.e. busy w/ work) The first 8 photos are from Detroit Publishing Co/LOC.

Hudson River & Riverside Park
    ENLARGE

Interior of 34th St National Bank
    ENLARGE

Art gallery at 281 Fifth Ave
    ENLARGE

38th St west from Fifth Ave
    ENLARGE

Washington Erving's home around a century ago.
    ENLARGE

Interior of the Little Church Around the Corner - 29th St
    ENLARGE

37th St Storefront of Detroit Publishing and YWCA
    ENLARGE

Funeral of NY Giants manager John McGraw at St Patricks 1934
    ENLARGE

Interior of NYC Mansion
    ENLARGE

Shea setup for the Jets 1964
    ENLARGE

This is some really great stuff. Thanks all for sharing!

Pic #7 of the Barclay-Vesey Building (Verizon) is just amazing. Nothing to spoil the view of Art Deco splendour.

Kodak’s Amateur Photographers: New York

As much as I love the current Columbus Circle and 15 CPW, that view in 1944 is really awesome.

And those kids getting all that physical exercise! It's a revelation!

Love Letter to New York: Classic LIFE Photos

Andreas Feininger—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Fifth Avenue teems with pre-Christmas holiday traffic near 34th street in November 1948.

Ralph Morse—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Young boys with play a street game in Spanish Harlem in January 1947.

Andreas Feininger—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Off-loaded freight boxes are hoisted up to loading platforms at the
    Brooklyn Army Terminal in October 1949.

Margaret Bourke-White—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    An aerial view of the entrance ramp leading to the top of the
    Port Authority Bus Terminal, New York City, 1950.

Bill Ray—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Four boys climb on rocks in Central Park, November 1972.

Marie Hansen—Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
    Columbus Circle during a heat wave in August 1944.
    A large Coca Cola sign and thermometer registers 100 degrees
    on top of building next to the Mayflower Hotel, New York.

^Merry thanks for the previous excellent post. I missed those so it's like found money. Very cool.

Hundreds of thousands of rare NYC pics. There's a link in the story to nyc.gov for the rest, but it has this message posted right now:
    Due to overwhelming demand, the New York City Municipal Archives Online Gallery is experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later.
    Two-age article. Pics shown here are the tip of the iceberg but are fantastic, & btw the article is fascinating also.

See the photos! Huge archive of historical photos of New York City debuts online

Incredible images among 870,000 photos of NYC now available to the public for the first time

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Updated: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

AP Photo/New York City Municipal Archives, WPA Federal Writers' Project, Jack Rosenzwieg

In this Dec. 22, 1936, Works Progress Administration photo provided by the New York City Municipal Archives, a man looks at the Hudson River from the New York tower of the George Washington Bridge.

NEW YORK — The two men were discovered dead at the bottom of an elevator shaft in a 12-story Manhattan building, as if dumped there, one man sprawled on top of the other.
    The rare crime scene photograph from Nov. 24, 1915, is one of 870,000 images of New York City and its municipal operations now available to the public on the Internet for the first time.
    The city Department of Records officially announced the debut of the photo database Tuesday. A previously unpublicized link to the imageshas been live for about two weeks.
    In this Oct. 7, 1914 photo provided by the New York City Municipal Archives, painters are suspended from wires on the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. (AP Photo/New York City Municipal Archives, Department of Bridges/Plant & Structures, Eugene de Salignac)

Culled from the Municipal Archives collection of more than 2.2 million images going back to the mid-1800s, the photographs feature all manner of city oversight — from stately ports and bridges to grisly gangland killings.
    The project was four years in the making, part of the department’s mission to make city records accessible to everyone, said department assistant commissioner Kenneth Cobb.
    “We all knew that we had fantastic photograph collections that no one would even guess that we had,” Cobb said.
    In this September 30, 1936, Works Progress Administration, Federal Writer’s Project, photo provided by the New York City Municipal Archives, a man hands a program to baseball legend Babe Ruth, center, as he is joined by his second wife Clare, center left, and singer Kate Smith, front left, in the grandstand during Game 1 of the 1936 World Series at the Polo Grounds in New York. (AP Photo/New York City Municipal Archives, WPA Federal Writers' Project)

Taken mostly by anonymous municipal workers, some of the images have appeared in publications but most were accessible only by visiting the archive offices in lower Manhattan over the past few years.
    Researchers, history buffs, filmmakers, genealogists and preservationists in particular will find the digitized collection helpful. But anyone can search the images, share them through social media or purchase them as prints.
    The gallery includes images from the largest collection of criminal justice evidence in the English-speaking world, a repository that holds glass-plate photographs taken by the New York City Police Department.
    It also features more than 800,000 color photographs taken with 35mm cameras of every city building in the mid-1980s to update the municipal records, and includes more than 1,300 rarely seen images taken by local photographers of the Depression-era Works Progress Administration.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1szbTJN7J
    Last edited by mariab; April 24th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post

I've been there: