Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New York in Black and White

Default Christopher and Bleecker. A wood-clad survivor.

I was born one block over, 10th St. and Bleeker, and lived about 75' to the right of this building, at 89 Christopher St. until 1954. The wood siding was later brick, and it was a small grocery store, where I used to buy Camel cigarettes for my mother, .25 cents a pack. I also started smoking at 7. When the bus wasn't coming down Christopher St. I would sit right where that little boy is sitting, and watch the chain driven coal trucks and the ice delivery trucks, go by. Jesus, that's a long time ago.

^ Evocative story, namvet3.

Some website must have posted a link to this thread; the hits are going through the roof.

Someone who knows: kindly tell me where all the hits are coming from.

Default missing photos

I have been enjoying looking at the many photos that "ablarc" had posted but today I tried to find them and could only find the captions. I am new to this forum so am still learning my way around it (its fascinating!) so would appreciate any pointers on how to find them again. Thanks.

R.Lewis

^ R.Lewis, the images will be back after my server restores them. They're gone because the thread got so many hits that it exceeded my allowable bandwidth.

As for why that is: I don't know; all that activity is fairly recent. Someone must have posted a link on a popular website.

What led you to the thread, R.Lewis?

Can you tell me where you found a link?

Thumbs up missing photos restored

Glad to see the photos are back and that there was a logical reason for their being temporarily missing. I'm always interested in seeing more new old photos of NYC so I really love going through what you've posted. A lot of them are familiar to me as I also collect books on NY - especially those that have old views of the city. And I love discovering new shots of areas that I haven't seen before. I was directed to the site by a friend who knows of my interest in such things and after finding it, immeadiately joined up. I don't know how he found it though. BTW one of the photos in that series captioned as a view of Manhattan from NJ isactually a view from Governor's Island. It's looking down hill towards a ferry slip.
    Last edited by R.Lewis; March 6th, 2007 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Lewis View Post
    BTW one of the photos in that series captioned as a view of Manhattan from NJ isactually a view from Governor's Island. It's looking down hill towards a ferry slip.
    Yeah, thanks, it's this one:

Should have known. The ferry terminal and flanking buildings are still there, and I've been to Governors Island.

By the way, as long as we're correcting each other: there's no apostrophe in Governors Island.

There's at least one additional error in the captions --a misidentified ship-- but I can't use the edit function to correct captions because there's now a ten picture limit per post, and the program then kicks out the entire post as having too many images!

I'd have to break up the post into about twenty parts to edit any part of it.

The intersection of technology and administration.

Can you ask your friend how he found the thread?

Last edited by ablarc; March 6th, 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Default Governors Island

Thanks for the correction. I realize the punctuation was wrong but must have put it in as a matter of habit for other possesives. I also recognized the view from a trip to the island some years ago though of course the building configuration is greatly changed. I'll ask about where he first found the site when I next see him. I've been browsing through the many notes and photos and it certainly is a treasure house of NYC visuals! Also find it interesting to see how many viewers there are from other countries.

Oh my goodness! This is by far one of the greatest threads to ever exist in the short history of the internet. I should've been out the door at least a half hour ago but this has totally enraptured me. My head is shaking in disbelief at all the evocative pictures..

this thread deserves a bump

Oh my....how low NYC's skyline has sunk... beautiful distinguished spires, crowns drowned out by mindless corporate boxes of bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post

Exclamation Henry Hudson Parkway at 72nd St.

The photo captioned "Henry Hudson Parkway at 72nd St.: fancy interchange. Fairchild Aerial Surveys, 1937." is really 79th Street with what looks like the construction of the 79th Street Boat Basin.

What a wonderful collection of photos! Thanks to all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mason127 View Post
    The photo captioned "Henry Hudson Parkway at 72nd St.: fancy interchange. Fairchild Aerial Surveys, 1937." is really 79th Street with what looks like the construction of the 79th Street Boat Basin.
    That's right, silly of me.

Thanks for the correction.

The Dude Abides

A tiny blemish^ on an otherwise immaculate exhibition.

What a wonderful collection of old photos! I love this city so much. Thanks.

Thumbs up Great familiar pictures

These are all very historical and very unique pictures. Many could be viewed recently at the New York Historical Society and can often be viewed online, buit even so i am saving this page so that i may enjoy it in the future.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast