Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New York in Black and White

Good rule to Remember when working in black and white:
    Contrast, Contrast, Contrast!

Default Here Today, but Maybe Not Tomorrow

Here Today, but Maybe Not Tomorrow

In 2002, Stephen A. Scheer set out to photograph Manhattanville, the area between 125th and 133rd Streets and bordered by the Riverside Drive viaduct and the elevated subway on Broadway. The next year, Columbia University announced a plan to buy a huge swath of the gritty neighborhood to expand its campus. Thus, although it was not his intention, Mr. Scheer's work may come to be the last depiction of Manhattanville in its current form. This image is of the underside of the Riverside Drive viaduct, taken from 12th Avenue and St. Clair Place.
    Photo: Stephen A. Scheer

The New York City Transit Authority bus depot and Riverside Park Community Apartments, from 12th Avenue and West 132nd Street.

The West Market Diner at West 131st Street near 12th Avenue.

The Harlem Bait and Tackle shop, at 12th Avenue near 131st Street.

A view of tenements and Riverside Church, as seen from the platform of the subway station at West 125th Street.

An incoming train, as seen from the subway platform at West 125th Street.

The Broadway viaduct and the subway station at West 125th Street.

The Broadway viaduct, and the Manhattanville Houses at West 131st Street.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...lle_index.html

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

What an awesome thread. I love looking at old new york! It doesny matter how old or new the pics are, they seem to encapture the feel of new york (if you know what i mean) and i love the reoccuring Coca cola adverts covering every era!

When the city was a city and not what it is today. Ugly structures with no sweat or soul.

Any link to get these images in high resolution?

Thanks!

Smile

Loved the pic I always wished that I was around when they had the Easter prade I wish we all can put on our big hats and walk down 5 ave wouldn't you just love it well I know some will.

Amazing!!!11 I want go to New York
    Last edited by Kris; December 8th, 2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: deleted quote

Please dont quote massive posts when there is no need.

Lofter commented in another thread that he loves NYC in black & white, and I concur. B/W photos from pre-war NY are the true classics, but even recent photos like these below have a timeless quality of their own. Courtesy of Zach K(Flickr)

Smoke break

Bridge Apartments over Trans Manhattan Expressway

Liberty & Nassau

Broken fashion plates

Down & out

Slow day

In your face marketing in Chinatown

Office on the street

Flatiron district

Neglect in East Harlem

There's somethig in these black and photos that speak of true NYC life.

Photographs by James Hill/The New York Times

A metal palm tree, above, added a touch of optimism to a bright but deserted beach at Coney Island on a November day.

Photographs by James Hill/The New York Times

Strong sunlight in the late afternoon of a different day brought long shadows to the Manhattan terminal of the Staten Island Ferry.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-and-si-ferry/

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

When I first came to NYC back in the dark days of the early 1970s the entire city seemed to be built in black and white -- asphalt streets, concrete sidewalks, soot-covered bricks, grimy limestone, dust bowls in Central Park, hot hazy summer skies ...

Default Queens in Black and White

A house on 34th Avenue and Brookside Street, Douglas Manor, Queens, 2004.

A gnarled tree on 85th Avenue between 165th Street and Chapin Parkway, Jamaica Hills, Queens, 2003.

Mott Street and Point Breeze Place, Edgemere, Queens, 2003.

A view of Jamaica Bay, from Beach 72nd Street and Bayfield Avenue, Somerville, Queens, 2003.

46-71 Laburnam, Flushing - Queens, NY 2003.

A gate on Brookville Boulevard, near Thurston Basin in Rosedale, Queens, 2004.

A house on 54th Street, between Grand and Flushing Avenues, Maspeth, Queens, 2004.

A house on 27th Avenue, near 100th Street, Jackson Heights, Queens, 2003.

A driveway on 85th Avenue, near 165th Street, Jamaica Hills, Queens, 2003.

The front door of a house on Laburnum Avenue, Flushing, Queens, 2003.

27th Ave., Jackson Heights, Queens, N.Y., 2003

December 28, 2008
    The City Visible

Little Boxes, Transformed by the Years

By BONNIE YOCHELSON

HUNG throughout Powdermaker Hall, the social sciences building at Queens College, are 58 framed photographs by Frank Gohlke and Joel Sternfeld, nearly a third of them 4 feet by 5 1/2 feet in size. The photographs, of street scenes in Queens, are a result of the city’s Percent for Art law, which requires that 1 percent of the budget for eligible city-funded construction projects be spent on artwork.

Designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Architects, Powdermaker Hall was completed in 2004. Donald Scott, then dean of social sciences, was eager to commission for the building art that would complement its academic purpose and reflect the lives of the college’s students, 85 percent of them Queens natives.

Diane Shamash, founder of Minetta Brook, a foundation devoted to public art, suggested that Mr. Gohlke and Mr. Sternfeld, two acknowledged masters of American landscape photography, would be eminently suited to the task.

Although Mr. Sternfeld works in color and Mr. Gohlke in black and white, they share an abiding fascination with the visible traces of everyday life on the landscape, and Queens presented them with an exciting challenge. For nearly two years, they traveled the borough, a microcosm of America’s ethnic diversity in which postwar neighborhoods have been transformed by new arrivals from every corner of the globe.

Mr. Gohlke circumnavigated the borough to examine the points at which it met the East River, Long Island and Brooklyn; he also explored its many parks. But much of the time, he said, “I drove around and let my eyes lead me.”

Walking around neighborhoods, he was often drawn to the borough’s omnipresent and seemingly nondescript single-family houses. By focusing on lovingly added modifications, such as ceremonial ironwork and geometrically cut shrubbery, Mr. Gohlke brings to the fore Queens’s more mundane architecture and the distinctive presence of its current residents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/ny...ty/28powd.html

[quote=Radiohead;264256]Lofter commented in another thread that he loves NYC in black & white, and I concur. B/W photos from pre-war NY are the true classics, but even recent photos like these below have a timeless quality of their own. Courtesy of Zach K(Flickr)

i couldn't agree more with both of you. this city's soul is in black and white as far as i'm concerned.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast