Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Link - 310 West 52nd Street - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik
    The developer will put up a second tower on the HoJo lot after the first one sells out (that way he'll get full price for units that will eventually stare into another building.) Developers aint stupid.
    That would be nice, but I doubt it.... This is a HUGE mistake by the developer. 8th Ave. needs a serious rehab., and this project could have contributed to it.

IF the developer revamps the HoJo´s , pointing up the 60´s architecture and doing a swanky jewell-like boutique hotel thing... this could be very very nice. Right for the area ...and about a million times nicer than the horrid Marc with it´s Duane Reade and street-front parking garage.

Default Ho-Jo

The lovely HoJo building looks to be under construction and I believe it IS getting a facelift. I hope so anyway.

I noticed that. I hope it is too, but I doubt it. They're probably just doing something that won't change its horrific appearance.

If they did away with the HoJo franchise and did a luxe hotel with a mid-century modern concept, it could be a gold mine. It´s wonderful to have a low buildings remain on 8th, to maintain an intimate streetscape ...and if this were handled correctly, it could become quite a destination.

I agree, but we're dreaming. Sadly, the cheap-skate developer surely will keep that garbage HoJo eyesore in the prominent 8th Ave. location.

Hopefully the hotel will recieve a face lift. It's not too much of a pipedream, a few other buildings around the City including the Hippodrome office tower on 6th avenue and the formerly ugly North wing of the Lennox Hill Hospital building are each recieving much needed facelifts that make them look a great deal better than before.

I agree with your point, but I think that this developer is too cheap to do so.

Default Ho Ho Ho Jo

I was just at the sales office which is just opening up, and I must say the exterior of this building in all glass looks pretty nice. The Ho-Jo is being completely redone and converted into a Hilton. I asked how extensive the exterior work will be and their answer was that it will be upgraded to Hilton standards, which I assume will be at least an improvement. There is also going to be a small townhouse-like building next door which needed to be built to secure the air rights for this building.

I hope that means that it will have a new glass facade.

Low rise Hilton... townhouse integrated into project... This is how you do it to keep a neighborhood like 8th from becoming a chilling row of high-rise towers. You use creativity ...and learn from the mistakes of so much "urban renewal" of the past.

It appears that there may be a new glass facade covering the horrific crap exterior. However, if this is new glass, the old facade appears to be visible.

Can anyone post the following image?

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
    790 Eighth Avenue, New York, New York, United States
    Tel: +1-212-581-7000 Fax: +1-212-974-0291

This hotel will be joining the Hilton Family soon but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in August 2005.

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...home_right.jpg

I actually walked by this site tonight and think that the Hilton that I posted is a re-skin and remodel of another dumpy 8th Ave. building -- the Day's Inn.

I just looked at the Day's Inn website, and the address for the NY dump is 790 8th (i.e., the same as the new Hilton Garden Inn). Therefore, it's unclear as to what, if anything, is being done with that horrible H0Jo on 52nd and 8th.

The building on 52nd is really nice and deserves an attractive neighbor on 8th.

Check out the rendering: www.thelinkny.com.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; June 7th, 2005 at 11:12 PM.

The Dude Abides

Not bad, not bad at all. Much nicer than the Marc and some of the other residential towers in the area. So the squat, boxy building on the left of it is the HoJo? Looks ambiguously renovated/updated in the rendering.

Yes, thanks.

By the way, the people at Elad's sales office don't know what they're talking about bec. the Days Inn -- not HoJo -- is becoming the Hilton Garden Inn, and the rendering of the renovated Hilton Inn is the Days Inn on 8th. The rendering from the Elad website shows the same dumpy HoJo. If Elad doesn't renovate that crap HoJo, I hope that his building burns down, and he loses a fortune due to poor insurance. (I don't reallly. I'm just PISSED that he's doing 8th Ave. a disservice by keeping this horrible HoJo.)

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast