Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two new towers rising adjacently at 92nd/1st

Default Two new towers rising adjacently at 92nd/1st

Rising on the site of a former carwash/gas station at 92nd and First a 30+/- floor residential and 15 floor hotel/office.

"Last year, Madison Equities assembled the former gasoline and tire center located on 92nd Street between First and York avenues. According to Cushman & Wakefield, a 15-story mixed-use hotel and office development will rise on the site at 410 East 92nd St. When completed, the building will be home to a 226-room hotel by Courtyard by Marriott on the upper floors, with 40,000 square feet of office space on the first four floors. On the other site, located at 400 East 92nd St., John Buck and Madison Equities will be constructing a 196-unit residential tower, providing 20% of the units reserved for low-income tenants having no more than 80% of the area's median income. New York City Housing Development Corporation provided the bond financing of $108 million in December for the residential tower."

Took some pics today, sorry for the poor quality.

Residential tower looking SW on 92nd. The wall will abut the 15 floor hotel/office (not yet u/c). Residential should be 30+ floors.

Residential tower looking SE.

11 floors thus far.

The hotel/office will rise here on 92nd between the residential and the ASPCA Nat'l HQ's.

Detail of the tower abutting a tenement on First.

Looking north on First.

If anyone has renderings or more info feel free.......

The pics may not be working at the moment but most likely will eventually. I've had this problem with my image host before. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by enzo
    The pics may not be working at the moment but most likely will eventually. I've had this problem with my image host before. My apologies.
    Hi, Enzo.

How are you? We had exchanged e-mails on skyscraperpage.com, and then a few days later, I was banned by that prick, FFlint. Therefore, I never had a chance to respond. Anyway, I hope that all is well. Are you moving to Shanghai?

Thanks for the info Enzo, and some of the pics are starting to come through.

And London, leave it as you left SSP.com. Don't start calling everyone a prick, that is not what is appreciated around here.

PM him if you need to start calling other people names or vent some frustration....

Thanks for the photos. It seems behind schedule.

400 East 92nd Street
    East 92nd & First
    33/32 stories
    Dev-The John Buck Company/Madison Equities
    Under Construction Spring 2003-Fall 2004/2005

Courtyard by Marriott
    410 East 92nd Street
    15 stories
    Dev-The John Buck Company/Madison Equities
    Under Construction 2004-2005

Aren't they right next to all of those projects buildings in that area of the east side?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Thanks for the info Enzo, and some of the pics are starting to come through.

And London, leave it as you left SSP.com. Don't start calling everyone a prick, that is not what is appreciated around here.

PM him if you need to start calling other people names or vent some frustration....
    I am a very nice guy and treat everyone with respect. However, FFlint was completely biased and prejudiced against me because I debunked his absurd myth that S.F. is the most expensive place in the US. I call a spade a spade. Fortunately, he does not participate in this forum.

Thats what I am saying LL.

Noone is calling you anything here, so don't bring it up and we all will be fine...

(IOW, leave there there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    Thats what I am saying LL.

Noone is calling you anything here, so don't bring it up and we all will be fine...

(IOW, leave there there.)
    True!

Default Courtyard by Marriott

There's another thread dealing with this development. Maybe they should be combined.
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...dison+Equities

Courtyard by Marriott
    410 East 92nd Street between First and York avenues
    15 stories 152 feet
    Vijay Kale Architects PC
    Dev-Madison 92nd Street Associates (Madison Equities)
    Mixed-Use
    133,580 Sq. Ft.
    Commercial Hotel: 226 units
    Commercial Office: 40,000 Sq.Ft.
    Under Construction 2004-2005

Cityfeet
    MIXED MADISON PROJECT TOPS OUT

http://www.cityfeet.com/News/NewsArt...Path=&Id=12636

By Lois Weiss
    Sunday, May 22, 2005 - Construction at Madison Equities’ mixed-use property at 410 East 92nd Street was topped out by Pavarini McGovern Construction which is overseeing the work on behalf of the owners - Robert Gladstone, CEO, Madison Equities and Louis Taic, CEO, NYRE Associates.
    Madison Equities is developing the 15 story mixed-use property containing a 226-key Courtyard by Marriott hotel on floors 5 through 15, and 40,000 sf of office space on floors 1-5. The first two floors of the building are already under contract and will be occupied by a private school. Vijay Kale Architects designed the property.
    The Courtyard by Marriott will be the first branded and moderately-priced hotel to be located on the Upper East Side and is situated perfectly to serve guests who need to stay near one of the nine hospitals in the immediate area or those visiting who wish to be closer to their friends and family who reside in the local community. The office space is the largest block of contiguous new office space on the Upper East Side and will be operated independently of the hotel, with a separate entrance and around-the-clock operation. The remaining office space of over 23,000 sf on the third and fourth floors is

The fact that nowadays building a hotel or a new residential tower across the street from a housing project isn't intimidating to builders in terms of making money off of it is a testament to the real estate market in NYC. In any other City the idea of building million dollar apartments across the street from depressing housing projects would be a sure turn off.

Unfortunately though I must say that this residential tower is incrediably ugly. The hotel part is alright and luckily uses a different curtain wall than the residential tower next door.

Or this is a testament as to how absurd the residential market is in NYC from both a developer and buyer's perspective. People are willing to pay more $1200+ psf for a development located well outside of the "convenient" areas of NYC and next to to rather large housing projects. In addition, the site was formally a gas station site...which Im sure presents a plethora of environmental issues includes soil contamination and fire hazards. Developer's will build condo's anywhere...because people want to buy sooner rather than later. no one wants to be the last person in....

Id be interested in knowing the crime states in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn316
    Or this is a testament as to how absurd the residential market is in NYC from both a developer and buyer's perspective. People are willing to pay more $1200+ psf for a development located well outside of the "convenient" areas of NYC and next to to rather large housing projects. In addition, the site was formally a gas station site...which Im sure presents a plethora of environmental issues includes soil contamination and fire hazards. Developer's will build condo's anywhere...because people want to buy sooner rather than later. no one wants to be the last person in....

Id be interested in knowing the crime states in that neighborhood.
    The Upper East Side is probably the safest neighborhood in Manhattan. The adjacent project is mostly senior citizen housing.

I used to live directly across from the Grant Houses in Morningside Heights/Harlem. I had no problems whatsoever. I think many posters on this board have mistaken or exaggerated assumptions about poor people.

I should also mention that NY public housing is different from that of most American cities. There is a unique 50% working families preference, which means that at least half of all project residents are regular people with full-time employment. The truly poor mostly live in Section 8 or illegal housing far from wealthy Manhattan neighborhoods.

Housing Projects are a great urban planning mistake and blight on the city. Fortunately the demand for subsidized housing in Manhattan is great; unfortunately the demand is too great to tear down housing projects, the only solution. Housing projects are detrimental for a number of reasons, they are ugly, there corridors are small and dangerous, they do not follow the street grid and blocks that characteristically made neighborhoods, unique, tight nit, and lively, there is no pride of home. Instead people are subject to dark living conditions almost cage or prison like, set not on a block, but on un-maintained grounds, towers in the park, they are not, their front yards have become breeding grounds for crime. Almost every part of Manhattan has felt the force of gentrification, the parts that haven’t are exclusively the projects. Tenements and brownstone’s which were in disrepair and were torn down to make way for projects are being snatched up all over upper Manhattan and restored, they make it possible for gentrification. Projects act and will continue to act as a hindrance to this movement and it comes down to one simple reason, they are blight, they are ugly, and they are not homes.

In addition to what Stern wrote, projects also create literal walls dividing neighborhoods. They also decrease street activity as they contain little to no retail space creating huge stretches on sides of streets that are dark at night. With no retail or restuarants you don't have shopkeepers looking out for trouble at night and instead you create dens for crime to thrive in. Plus, you make it so that residents have to walk sometimes tens of blocks to the nearest Supermarket. The projects are also so clustered together in a fashion that blocks out a huge amount of light to a neighborhood and unfortunately these blocks of projects take up the most valuable of real estate space on the waterfront of Manhattan and Queens and in equally valuable land plots in other boroughs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast