Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rego Park Center - Mixed Use - GreenbergFarrow / SLCE / Ehrenkrantx Eckstut & Kuhn

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Finally, an official groundbreaking for the Rego Park mall...

Building Begins on Giant Queens Mall

By Staff Reporter of the Sun
    May 25, 2007

Construction began yesterday on a gigantic Queens' shopping mall that could have included the city's first Wal-Mart.

Discussions between the big box store chain and Vornado Realty Trust, the developer, were scrapped in 2005 after opponents rallied against the retailer's labor practices.

The current plan includes Century 21, Kohl's, and the Home Depot at the 600,000-square-foot site, set to open in 2009.

Mayor Bloomberg defended Wal-Mart, saying the city, should not block any business from opening here. The CEO of Vornado, Steven Roth, said the new site will be an "architectural landmark." He also told Mr. Bloomberg that he had to "put a plug in" for the Moynihan Station and Madison Square Garden — projects the company is negotiating with the state.

© 2007 The New York Sun, One SL, LLC

The hole is huge, almost the size of GZ.

Mean construction site person wouldn't let me get a close-up pic so I went across the street on the roof of a parking garage and got them anyway. Haha.

Looking to the north.

Default Rego Park Mixed -Construction as of 11-10-2007

Here are 3 pictures of the construction site. I will be uploading more pictures once in awhile so you can see the progress in the construction
    Last edited by errho; November 10th, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks for the pics and welcome errho. Seems like there is some progress, particularly in the SE quadrant, since I was last there.

Random Personality

While passing this on the LIE I noticed steel on the far enof the site that was higher than the parking garage across the street. Also there were 3 cranes at the site.

Looks like this one is already rising.

Bad news. The residential portion of this project is not going to get built, at least not at the present time.

From the NY Sun today...

...In Queens, construction is progressing at a new mixed-use retail and residential project being built by Vornado Realty Trust. The development is situated behind the Rego Park Mall, bounded by the Horace Harding Expressway, Junction Boulevard, and 62nd and 97th streets.

The three-story retail complex, which is scheduled to open later in the year is said to include a Home Depot, a Kohl's, and Century 21. The original development included a residential component with about 400 units built in two residential towers. In March, the developer had to put that on the hold due to the weakened real estate market.

Random Personality

The article fails to mention however, that the community board is unhappy about them putting the residential towers on hold, and may try to apply pressure on the developer.

Now that's the kind of progressive Community Board we like!

Can we clone that Community Board and replace all the other ones across the city with them?

VNO is so development shy. Its for this reason that I feel the Hotel Penn. is in no real danger. It took them almost a decade to do anything with the Alexander's site, a one storey building in one of the best locations in Manhattan. They own all this property by Penn Station and have done nothing with it aside from a site at 34th and 7th where they built a one storey retail building and did not build the tower that was designed to go on top of it. Now this site which is approved for residential in a market that hasn't softened much at all.

Unhappy From Somebody That Lives Near The Mall

To those of you that think that Community 6 Board is wonderful to push for those towers as part of Rego Park Mall, here is what this person living near by thinks. I live in Park City 3 & 4 and attended with other residents the initial Community 6 Board meetings. The Board never pushed for an environmental study of the effect of 400+ additional families on our neighborhood. They also did not look into the affect of the project on the water table. Check out the structural damage that was caused by the project on two other neighborhood coops whose management, by the way, supported the project. We successfully fought against Wal-Mart and were against the housing (not the mall) because no funds were allocated for schools, parks, etc. So if you want your community board to be like Community Board 6, Take our board - Please!

Nice try littleskippy but your post is full of factual errors. For someone who supposedly lives nearby and knows so much about this project, you'd think they at least know that "structural damage that was caused by the project on two other neighborhood coops" would be not possible as this site is completely isolated and unadjacent to any other buildings.

It is separated by roads (wide roads I might add) all around.

Water table? What about the water table? Are you drawing drinking water from the water table? What exactly would a project do to damage the water table? What about all the other gazillion large housing projects all around? They don't affect the water table, I guess.

What's next? Harm to the bay? What about the ocean? How about the Earth as well? Don't forget the tiny little creatures living in the dirt on that site. They will no doubt be disturbed too.

littleskippy, the best way to ensure that area does not get too overcrowded is for you to get yourself out of there. There are plenty of open land with no crowding problems in the rest of this country.

Don't add to the problem. Be the solution.

You are quite correct, Antinimby, in stating that I don't know much about structural damage or the water table. But the trade publication Habitat does. In their November 2008 article on pages 19-25 entitled SOS TO CITY - OUR GARAGE FLOORS ARE SINKING, you can read about the damage that the project has done to two neighboring coops.

Antinimby, I do not know why you had to make the nasty remark about me leaving the neighborhood. I simply stated that Community Board 6 did not take into consideration expanding facilities (such as schools) to account for additional families. So why don't we and others look at the situation in a less insulting way so that we can all be the solution.

The city's public school population is stable, not growing, and most students don't even attend schools in their immediate neighborhood, so I'm not sure why local schools would be an issue.

littleskippy, I am not about to go searching some obscure publication for some article. You want to make a case, then it's your obligation to post the article here (or at least provide a link to it.)

In any case, I find that allegation of damage to other buildings caused by the water table as a result of the construction of a nearby site to be less than believable.

If this was case, there'd be widespread damage to water tables in every city and buildings all across the globe would be crumbling down every time another new building goes up. What is so different about the water table in Rego Park than anywhere else? Doesn't make any sense.

I frankly don't buy it. And even if that was the case, then those co-ops should seek legal remedies. Just like anything, if someone or something causes damage to your person or property then you have a right to compensation or you can sue.

About my comment, it wasn't nasty at all. It was nothing more than good advice. Advice that anyone else would have given you: if you are not happy where you are, then you are free to leave.

As they say, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

The link to the website is: http://www.habitatmag.com/archive/p_...1&print_only=0 Although they charge you $1.95 for the article, any coop should have a subscription and be able to get the article for free. Since you bring up they they can sue, that is exactly what both coops are doing. The article says in part, "There's an aquifer just 10 feet below the ground at the construction site, and once the excavation reached the water table, the builder, Bovis Lend Lease, had to divert the ground water into the city's sewer system before digging could resume. In engineering circles, this around-the-clock pumping process is known as 'dewaterin.'" The article goes on that in spite of this, "floor areas around the support pillars [of the garage] were sinking." In addition, "A walk around the neighborhood reveals that streets have sunk, many sidewalks are sunken and/or cracked, and several buildings have seperated fromtheir surrounding sidewalks.:

The only reason that I went on this website was through a Google search to see what additional stores I could be looking forward to inthe new mall. This is the first time in over 15 years on the net that I have posted anything and engaged in this give and take and this is my last post so you all can have the last word. My final comments are these - Saying that people can sue is, in my opinion, a very selfish way of saying the hell with them. I'll continue my discussions about my neighborhood and my city as I have previously for 60 years, face to face. If commenting in this type of forum is your thing, great. Enjoy. It ain't for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast