Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronx Development

Yeah. I swear they goofed on that banner at first because the original banner had an area marked that didn't make sense to me at all. But perhaps I could have just not been paying proper attention when I glanced at it.

Here is another spot where absolutely nothing is happening. I think I mentioned it before:

You can see the supermarket that once stood on the spot, as well as the large public parking lot adjacent to it with dirt mounds piled inside.

Three years since it's demolition nothing has been done. 2 machines WERE parked there for over a year, before being removed a few weeks ago, along with a pile of steel beams. Ever since their removal the gate to this lot has just been left open. The sign that once stood over the lot, heralding new office and retail space as well as a new parking lot has been torn down as well.

The spot I posted about above was cleared of vegetation last week. This might just be a health thing to deal with rodents though because the Courtlandt Corner development was similarly cleared more than a year before any construction took place.

Hopefully that's a sign they're finally building on that site.

Default More Development in Melrose

Here are two of the many apartment buildings recently built or nearing completion in Melrose.

The Eltona, 429 East 156th Street

This 63-unit apartment building is built on the site of a former parking lot. Behind the building is the Palacio Del Sol apartment building, with 110 apartments, completed in 2006 at 760 Melrose Avenue.

The Dorado, 3055 Third Avenue

This 48-unit apartment building is nearing completion on what I think was an empty lot. It is a nice counterpoint to the building of similar size directly across the avenue that is also nearly finished. (I couldn't get a good photo of that one because the sun was behind it.)

Banned Member

Thumbs up

Excellent coverage of development. I don't the Bronx very well and this is giving me a more up-to-date idea of what's going on.

Progress seems on Boricua Village (161st-163rd and Third Ave) APPEARS to have stagnated over the last few weeks. Iit looks almost exactly the same from my perspective as it did in the photo from the 7th of May. Which is quite noticeable considering the fast pace they were working at before.

Default The reurbanization of Charlotte Street

Who would have thought that in the middle of a real-estate fueled economic recession, one of the areas that would still be booming would be ... Charlotte Street?

I am sure everyone on this board knows the history of Charlotte Street's prosperity turned poster-child for 1970s urban decay turned suburbanization-of-the-city experiment. Now is the happy chapter where the urban fabric starts to get restored!

Actually, this is not the first 2000's-era apartment building to loom over Ed Logue's 1980s ranches.

Last edited by TheInterloafer; June 30th, 2009 at 09:48 PM.

I am old enough to remember what Charlotte Street use to look like back in the 60's and 70's. So much housing stock (apartment buildings) has destroyed in those decades. It good to see some construction that at least resembles what use to be there in that section of the Bronx.

It should be fairly easily to buy those single family homes in the future and replace them with multifamily housing.

Default Cedars

Here is an interesting one. This is Cedars, a 93-unit HDC-financed apartment building on East 156th Street between Fox Street and Beck Street. The development built around, restored and is reusing the Denison-White Mansion, built c. 1850. Below is a bird's eye shot from bing.com of the mansion in a state of disrepair prior to the rehabbing. The site is adjacent to the Beck Street historic district, made up of beautiful 19th century row-houses. The mansion is at a weird angle relative to the rest of the urban fabric because it predates everything, including the historic district's buildings and even the street grid.

Last edited by TheInterloafer; July 3rd, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks for these update TheInterloafer.

^ I second that. Very interesting and informative. I've always been especially captivated by Charlotte Street.

Good stuff, it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post
    It should be fairly easily to buy those single family homes in the future and replace them with multifamily housing.
    It would have to be re-rezoned for multifamily though.

For Seniors, Children Welcome

By AMY ROWLAND

CROTONA Senior Apartments, a new 96-unit rental housing development in the Bronx, is not as senior as it sounds. The building allows live-in children and grandchildren, as long as one household member is 62 or older.

The Atlantic Development Group was a partner with the Highbridge Community Development Corporation on the project. Highbridge, a nonprofit corporation with a mission to create homes for families and people with special needs, was founded by Msgr. Donald Sakano, the pastor of St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral in Manhattan’s Little Italy neighborhood. It has built many such projects in the Highbridge section of the Bronx.

“I come from a social service background,” said Peter Fine, a principal at Atlantic Development, “so I am familiar with the fact that there’s a whole jigsaw puzzle out there of nontraditional families that have various housing needs.”

Monsignor Sakano said that he and Mr. Fine had a discussion and “kind of married our interests.”

In New York, age eligibility for senior housing may apply to all members of the family or just the head of the household, depending on what the development is and whether it is privately financed or government subsidized.

At 1926 Crotona Parkway, the apartments — studios and one- and two-bedroom units — will rent for $638, $683 and $823 a month. Income eligibility requirements range from $23,520 to $47,520. Occupancy is capped, by law, at two people per bedroom.

The building has received 1,100 applications; potential residents are first selected by lottery and then winnowed by eligibility.

Monsignor Sakano, the president of Highbridge, said that he had noticed that grandparents are increasingly taking over parenting duties. An AARP study bears him out, finding that the number of multigenerational households nationwide increased from 5 million (4.8 percent of all households) in 2000 to 6.2 million (5.3 percent of all households) in 2008.

Monsignor Sakano called this situation “both disconcerting and welcoming.”

“The welcoming part is that we are preventing children from entering the foster care system and stabilizing children with a person who is caring and loving,” he said. “I’ve always been a believer that a child’s environment sends the first message and it should be one of a positive nature and architecture design can do that.”

He added, “The key to housing is a combination of design and management.”

The eight-story building, designed by Stanley Lee, a principal at Atelier 22 Architects, is made of finished brick and cast stone. Mr. Lee said the major challenge was to make an interesting building on a limited budget. He said he chose a flat base topped by vertical piers to create shadow and volume and to vary the depth of the building along the sidewalk.

The apartments are similar in size to more expensive developments, with studios averaging 490 square feet, one-bedrooms 610 square feet and two-bedrooms 890 square feet. Hallways are wide enough to allow wheelchairs to make full turns without bumping the walls. The apartments have fully equipped Pullman-style kitchens.

To accommodate the younger set, Mr. Lee said that the larger units have “a little bit more closet or storage space than is required for growing families to put stuff away.” There are also additional closets in the hallways off the two-bedroom apartments.

Highbridge, Monsignor Sakano said, doesn’t “do just brick and mortar; we build families, neighborhoods and communities, too.” At the Crotona Senior Apartments, a social worker will provide on-site programs that may include classes on nutrition and computer skills, book clubs and dancing lessons.
    “Our goal is that people are living better today than they were yesterday, better tomorrow than they are today,” Monsignor Sakano said.

The ground floor has 4,000 square feet of retail space. Mr. Fine said there had been interest in the space, though a lease has not been signed.

Monsignor Sakano said that the drawing is conducted by a blindfolded person. Not everyone selected meets the building’s eligibility requirements. For instance, if the chosen applicant has 10 children or is over the income limit, it’s on to the next. But, he said, the drawing creates “a data bank of need.”

The $27.2 million building received financing through the Low-Income Affordable Marketplace Program of the New York City Housing Development Corporation and the 421-a Affordable Housing Program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/re...ref=realestate