Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronx Development

That is a horrible name, it really is. However, let keep in mind what image the "South Bronx" conjours up:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ctive%26sa%3DN

I suggest using the neighborhood names.
    Last edited by alex ballard; June 24th, 2005 at 10:27 PM.

The Dude Abides

It doesn't matter what the name "South Bronx" conjures up, as you put it. Showing us that it was crime-ridden in the early and mid-90's is no different than showing it ablaze in the late 70's. The area has changed for the better, in that crime is down. Now it's changing in a different way. I won't say I think it's the best way for change, but I think it's a positive nonetheless. Artists moving in will only make it a more eclectic and desireable neighborhood, and quality of life will go up. Let them call it whatever they want.

It does matter. I'm only saying why it was re-named.

Anyway, I'm glad it's getting better. I hope they bring back those old apartment buidlings instead of new townhomes, so there can be more density to the neighborhood.

Default made-up neighborhood names

THe real estate folks should really stop making up these silly names. Already we're suffering through NoLita, Solita, etc.

Let's try out a few other names that the marketing folks might try to conjure up:

NoMan (anywhere in Manhattan north of 145th St. that the marketing people haven't figured out how to sell)

WeeMan (the group of high rise sites in Manhattan west of 10th Ave. that have a view of Weehawken)

QueEasy (anywhere in Queens that Weezy could see from the Jefferson's high-rise windows)

Any others?

Despite what the papers are reporting, most of the people moving into Port Morris don't make a living off of their art. However, it doesn't sound very romantic to carry on about the influx of waitresses and bartenders moving to the South Bronx.

I've lived there for five years and can't tell you how many times people have started a conversation with, "So, are you an artist?" When I tell them that I'm not, a look of confusion inevitably appears.

It's a personal pet peeve, but it's pretty offensive to assume that the only reason a white person would live in the neighborhood is to sit around in an old factory and pontificate about how cool it is to be an artist.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    QueEasy (anywhere in Queens that Weezy could see from the Jefferson's high-rise windows)
    QueEasy is awesome - you should have entered it in the curbed neighborhood name contest. I was particularly fond of ToeHo myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Despite what the papers are reporting, most of the people moving into Port Morris don't make a living off of their art. However, it doesn't sound very romantic to carry on about the influx of waitresses and bartenders moving to the South Bronx.

I've lived there for five years and can't tell you how many times people have started a conversation with, "So, are you an artist?" When I tell them that I'm not, a look of confusion inevitably appears.

It's a personal pet peeve, but it's pretty offensive to assume that the only reason a white person would live in the neighborhood is to sit around in an old factory and pontificate about how cool it is to be an artist.

What's wrong with middle-class whites moving to the Bronx? Why do you have to be an artist?

Middle class any-color is what a city needs to thrive. I always saw the Bronx as the future middle-class baston, and it seems that is coming true.

Who said anything about the middle-class, AlexBallard? I was expressing frustration that real estate agents and landlords are hellbent on promoting the idea that "artists" are the only means to stability in a neighborhood.

Most so-called artists are sporadically employed at best. Wouldn't the long-term stability of a neighborhood have a better chance if people with steady, moderate incomes (i.e. city workers) were encouraged to lay down roots?

Forum Veteran

Who said anything about the middle-class, AlexBallard? I was expressing frustration that real estate agents and landlords are hellbent on promoting the idea that "artists" are the only means to stability in a neighborhood.

Most so-called artists are sporadically employed at best. Wouldn't the long-term stability of a neighborhood have a better chance if people with steady, moderate incomes (i.e. city workers) were encouraged to lay down roots?
    Agreed, but the value of artists as a "bellweather" is what follows...bars, shops, new development. It's happened so many times that just the thought of some artists moving into an area causes the developers to go crazy, right or wrong.

But are the people who are considered artists really people who earn a living from art? Landlords and reporters consistently mistake me for an artist. I think that developers are doing themselves a disservice by using outdated notions of indicators of economic progress.

"Middle-class" whatever, I'm saying stable employment.

We're both saying the same things, just in different words.

Anyway, it's all for glitz. The working-class hood has no appeal to planners or developers. The reason being is that people simply cannot believe that there is such a thing as an "Urban middle class". People continue to hold to the notion that the city is poor and rich and the middle live in the brubs. Anything else is too much for people to handle.

As for you being an artist, Schadenfrau, are you white? Just wondering...

Art is so overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    As for you being an artist, Schadenfrau, are you white? Just wondering...
    I apologize if I'm being dense, but what exactly do you mean by this?

Forum Veteran

But are the people who are considered artists really people who earn a living from art? Landlords and reporters consistently mistake me for an artist. I think that developers are doing themselves a disservice by using outdated notions of indicators of economic progress.
    I don't think so - I think they use the word in place of hipster... or stylish white person under 40... or yuppie if you're feeling mean-spirited. Bottom line is whiteness - that's the quality I suspect realtors and landlords are after. Artists (aside from wildly successful ones) don't make enough money to excite these folks on their own...

I think you can call a person an artist even if they don't earn their living from it. Lots of artists I know have day jobs - it takes a huge amount of success in the art world to make a middle-class living - and I think that the group of people who do live off the sales of their work is not the best and/or brightest of the art world.

You're exactly right, Ryan. What better to shill to an "artist" than a "loft", aka studio apartment that's not legally zoned for live/work space?

The irony of this is that I was involved running an art gallery in Port Morris a few years ago. The things that are going on there now just really make me want to hork and I really wish I could take it all back.

Forum Veteran

Well, if Jerry Saltz is right, the art bubble is going to burst any minute now, so mediocre art galleries everywhere should get their comeuppance soon...

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast