Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Bronx Development

But it's almost always the minority that dictate these things. It's only the few people on community boards who are richer and drive more that prevent improvements to street safety. I watched it happen here on 181st st. Less than 40% of people in the neighborhood own a car, and those that do are orders of magnitude richer than the people here. Yet when it came time to fix 181st street for the buses, it was all about parking and traffic and who rides the bus anyway? Over 30k people a day board a bus on 181st st to ride to the bronx. They're the silent majority.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Oh I agree with you. I know it's the very vocal minority that the politicians/ bureaucrats always seem to listen to and often times, it's not even about wealth. Most people have no interest in community affairs or attending community board meetings. It's usually those few busybodies that like to write to their representatives complaining about this or that and they're usually the ones at community board meetings so it gives the city leaders the impression that they represent the majority of the public when in fact they are just a small but vocal minority.

A ton of shortsighted downzonings all across the city occurred because a few people in those neighborhoods complained loudly to the city about "overdevelopment." I'll bet you that if every single one of the residents were polled, most would not have a problem with development.
    Last edited by antinimby; January 6th, 2014 at 01:14 AM.

Default 1362 Jerome Avenue (28 Dec 2013)

Man, if you're getting out and around, there is a crapton of stuff going on in Kingsbridge. I mean, I don't even understand what it all is, but from there to Riverdale, stuff is being thrown up like crazy. Like here and here and here and such:

http://goo.gl/maps/Zn3RE

I should be taking photos of all this stuff when I go up there, but iPhone camera and plead the fifth and such.

What's at 230th and Major Deegan?

I was up in the Boogie that day because I needed to catch a ride from someone who was heading from Philadelphia to Maine along the NJ Turnpike to the GW Bridge and Cross-Bronx to the New England Thruway.

The development at 230th & Broadway is called Broadway Plaza, developed by Equity one. Currently Aldi's, Sports Authority and TJMAX have signed on. Here is the PDF will all the info and renders:

http://www.equityone.net/files/7153B...ngBrochure.pdf

There is another huge development by Ripco at 238th and Broadway called Riverdale Crossing, with BJs, Petco, Bank of America, Smash Burger, etc. It seems both will open this fall. It will be a huge change for the whole area. see pdf:

http://www.ripcony.com/sites/default...Crossing_0.pdf

Two images of Broadway Plaza:

Another outerborough mall housed in a bunker.

Here are two renders of the Kingsbridge development by 238th St, right on the #1 train line. It's called Riverdale Crossing, (right by the Bronx Ale House on 238th St., which gets a lot of attention from fine brew fans all over). It sits on the site of the old Stella Doro cookie factory, bringing a street with trees into the commercial zone. It has a suburban feeling, but far better than the strip-malls-with-big-parking-lots lining much of the rest of the area on Broadway. This should be open this autumn, 2014.

Images/Links follow:

(First image- too big to put in this post): http://www.rew-online.com/wp-content...iew237th-1.jpg

Second image:
    Last edited by Bstark; February 6th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.

What can be said of this strip mall other than there are trees? This is right next to a subway station (the 1 train has 3 tracks there, by the way, not 2 as indicated in the render). Were they designing something for Yonkers? There should be TOD here - but who will want to live next to an elevated subway?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

In South Bronx, Visions of a Bustling Shoreline

Photo

South Bronx officials want to turn a desolate strip, between 138th and 149th Streets, into a waterfront district. CreditOzier Muhammad/The New York Times

The Harlem River flows along the western edge of the South Bronx, much of it hidden behind rambling warehouses and metal fences topped with barbed wire.

But now the borough, often associated with inner-city slums, is moving to create a waterfront showcase on its side of the Harlem River between 138th and 149th Streets; it would include an esplanade, a park, restaurants, stores, theaters and residential towers. The plan, which is still being developed, is meant to transform a largely desolate, industrial strip into a destination like Brooklyn Bridge Park.

“Think ducks, think beavers,” said Ruben Diaz Jr., the Bronx borough president, who unveiled the waterfront plan in his Feb. 20 State of the Borough speech. “This is something we desperately need in our borough. This is something that has helped re-brand other boroughs and I’m going to put all my energy into it.”

Borough officials estimated that the waterfront development would cost at least $500 million — some of which would be shouldered by private developers — and require the approval of city and state agencies. Mr. Diaz said he had been approached by interested developers but declined to name them, saying the talks were still preliminary. Borough officials have started meeting with city agencies and community groups to build support for the plan.

Photo

Zoilo Ramirez, who owns a restaurant in the area, welcomes the plan. Credit Ozier Muhammad/The New York Times

The new waterfront district would adjoin Mill Pond Park, which opened in 2009 on a former industrial site on the river as part of an effort to replace nearby parkland lost to the construction of the new Yankee Stadium. It would also span two bridges that link the South Bronx to Harlem, creating a continuous public walkway that would be accessible to those on both sides of the river.

That is, if the development happens.

George Arzt, a Democratic political consultant and a longtime observer of municipal government, said that while developing the Bronx waterfront was a great idea on paper, it faced many hurdles, including finding the money to offer incentives to attract private developers. “The question always is, ‘How are you going to pay for it and where do the funds come from?’ ” he said. “That’s going to be a hardship especially because the city has so many needs.”

Many residents and workers in the South Bronx said they saw the waterfront development as another step forward for a borough struggling with high rates of poverty, unemployment, crime, obesity and diabetes. They said that it would transform an overlooked neighborhood by creating more housing, parkland and recreational amenities.

“They should do the whole waterfront because it’s wasted space,” said Garfield Knight, 52, who works at a nearby store. “It helps us connect with nature in an urban setting. You don’t have to go 50 miles out of the way to sit on the grass and feel the breeze off the water in your face.”

Dilcia Torres, 25, said she usually took her roller blades to Manhattan on weekends but could see herself coasting along the Bronx waterfront instead. She had not done that before, she said, because it simply had not “caught my interest,” she said. “There isn’t much there.”

But some workers voiced concerns that it could displace local businesses or jeopardize their jobs. Joe Pego, general manager of New York Recycling, which operates a plant on the waterfront that recycles concrete, rock and dirt, said that he had not heard about the development but would be opposed to it if it forced the plant to shut down.

Mr. Diaz said that borough officials would work to help any business that might have to relocate.

Bronx officials said that zoning for the waterfront district was approved by the city in 2009 as part of a larger effort to spur economic growth in a 30-block area around the southern end of the Grand Concourse. The zoning allows residential and commercial towers to rise up to 400 feet on lots of 100,000 square feet or more.

Research provided by borough officials showed that the development could drastically remake a half-mile of shoreline that is mostly dotted with low-slung buildings and vacant lots. It could add over 1.1 million square feet of housing, 865,000 square feet of commercial space, and 269,000 square feet of community space.

The waterfront development cannot come soon enough for the owner of Marisco Centro, a Dominican-style seafood restaurant that opened in 2012 across from the waterfront. Zoilo Ramirez, the owner, said there was so little foot traffic most of the time that the majority of his customers come through the restaurant’s back entrance, through a mall parking lot.

“I was doing really bad the first year, losing money every week,” said Mr. Ramirez, 49, who has spent thousands of dollars advertising on Spanish-language television and radio stations.

As word has spread of the restaurant’s dishes — seafood paella, mofongo (smashed plantains) and churrasco (grilled steak) — business has started to pick up.

Marisco Centro, which has a 20-year lease, serves an average of 300 customers a day, or just enough to break even, Mr. Ramrez said. “If I knew, I would never have done it, but I’m seeing the light now,” he said. “The waterfront is going to be very good. I think it’s going to bring a lot of people. Since we lost so much money in the beginning, we have to stay here to make it back.”

Does anyone know the status of Webster Commons? It's the partially built high density affordable housing development on a thin parcel of land wedged in between Woodlawn Cemetery and the Metro-North Harlem Line about a block's length north of Gun Hill Road. Is it going to be finished one day? I am somewhat concerned that the former website for its developer, Jackson Development, has been taken down. How bad of a sign is that?

I was driving on the Bronx River Parkway last weekend and noticed that construction has reached maybe around the fourth floor.

OK, that's a good sign!

Morris Court, First Development In The Lower Concourse Rezoning District, Nearing Completion

Morris Court / ©welcome2thebronx.com

Morris Court, which began construction two years ago after demolishing almost an entire block (only one property owner did not sell), is nearing completion as the first development to take advantage of the Lower Concourse rezoning approved back in 2009.

The $69 million complex, when complete, will include 201 mixed low & middle income units for families with incomes ranging from approximately $28,595 to $90,700 per year. 25% of the units will be set aside for families that were formerly homeless.

The development was designed by Aufgang + Subotovsky Architecture and Planning and developed by Azimuth Development Group, Best Development Group and the Upper Manhattan Development Corp.

Morris Court is located directly across from Lincoln Hospital at E 144th Street and Morris Avenue and just a few short blocks to the 2,4, & 5 trains at 149th Street and Grand Concourse.
    Nearby amenities include the bustling 149th Street Corridor with shops, restaurants, offices, and the HUB which has the highest concentration of banks than anywhere else in the Bronx. Also within walking distance is the The Mall at the Bronx Terminal Market which includes, Target, BJ’s, Bed Bath and Beyond among its stores as well as the beautiful Mill Pond Park on the Harlem River.

To the south of the complex is the bustling Bruckner Boulevard corridor — a mere 10 minute walk at most — which includes local favorite restaurants and bars like Bruckner Bar and Grill, the Thai and Sushi restaurant Ceetay, and Charlie’s Bar and Kitchen which was recently named Best Bronx Bar by New York Magazine.

If the Special Harlem River Waterfront District Plan ever comes to fruition, Morris Court will also benefit from being a stone’s throw away from that section of the waterfront as well.

http://www.welcome2thebronx.com/word...ng-completion/

Default Webster Commons (east side of Webster Ave north of Gun Hill Road) - 20 Apr 2014