Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmsley Building - 230 Park Avenue - by Warren & Wetmore

Default Helmsley Building - 230 Park Avenue - by Warren & Wetmore

The Helmsley Building (The New York Central Building and The New York General Building)

Developer: The New York Central Railroad
    Architect: Warren & Wetmore
    Erected: 1928

230 Park Avenue
    (between 45th and 46 Streets, Vanderbilt Avenue and DePeuw Place)

This is that building that sometimes camouflages in the Met Life tower. It is a pretty good looking one.

It is kind of a shame to have build such a humongous building, the Met Life. Although I am so use to see it that I find my self missing if it wasn't there. :|

Banned Member

This is a great shot!

One of my favorite buildings in the city!

As it was meant to be . . .

A few years ago, I attended a number of meetings in the old New York Central Railroad Board Room, a wonderfully musty and largely-intact space, near the top of the building, with commanding views up Park Avenue, now recycled as a law firm conference room.

Forum Veteran

I love that viaduct that loops around Grand Central and passes through the Helmsley. Unfortunately, it's quite dingy at the moment (plenty of graffiti, even some guano :?); fortunately that might change during the restoration of Grand Central's facade.

^ .

Full Steam Ahead

Matt Chaban

A bronze mural, one of two designed by Beyer Blinder Belle, adorns the recently renovated lobby of 230 Park Avenue

While the preservation experts at Beyer Blinder Belle are typically busy making old structures look new with new components that look old (like, say, the signage at a certain skyscraper), BBB’s designers also from time to time design from whole cloth. Or whole bronze, as is the case for a pair of murals created for a recent lobby renovation to 230Park Avenue, the former Helmsley Building that caps Grand Central. Last Monday, Monday Properties president Anthony Westreich, the building’s owner, dedicated the murals along with local pols Scott Stringer and Daniel Garodnick and Landmarks Preservation Commission chair Robert Tierney. Weighing more than a ton, the murals—which were drawn by Chris Ludlow and sculpted by Joan Benefiel under the direction of BBB—hark back to the building’s history as the former headquarters for the New York Central Railroad, depicting a train speeding by with the distinctive profile of 230 Park in the background.

The mural in the shop.

Workers installing the 40 panels that make up the mural.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/5963

That's a cool mural. Gotta remember to poke my head in the lobby next time I'm in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    While the preservation experts at Beyer Blinder Belle are typically busy making old structures look new with new components that look old (like, say, the signage at a certain skyscraper), BBB’s designers also from time to time design from whole cloth. Or whole bronze, as is the case for a pair of murals created for a recent lobby renovation to 230Park Avenue, the former Helmsley Building that caps Grand Central. Last Monday, Monday Properties president Anthony Westreich, the building’s owner, dedicated the murals along with local pols Scott Stringer and Daniel Garodnick and Landmarks Preservation Commission chair Robert Tierney. Weighing more than a ton, the murals—which were drawn by Chris Ludlow and sculpted by Joan Benefiel under the direction of BBB—hark back to the building’s history as the former headquarters for the New York Central Railroad, depicting a train speeding by with the distinctive profile of 230 Park in the background.

The mural in the shop.

Workers installing the 40 panels that make up the mural.
    A perfect example of counterfeiting. This Deco train would never have appeared in the original New York Central Building that pre-dated it in all particulars. That lobby was a gem, in that it was consistently Louis XV from end to end. Too bad it's been "improved."

And at great expense, too.

Though it will be well thought-of in the short run, this "mural" (actually a bas-relief) is a possible candidate for removal in 2060, when --by the seemingly inexorable cycle of taste for the "authentic" --the building will be comprehensively "restored" to its original French rococo configuration.
    Last edited by ablarc; September 7th, 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    That's a cool mural. Gotta remember to poke my head in the lobby next time I'm in that area.
    Unless security has restricted access, you can pass all the way through to the PanAm/MetLife lobby and Grand Central.

A great sequence of interiors --maybe New York's best.

Those crazy columns up top on the Helmsley are fantastic. Pure decoration. Holding up nothing. And almost floating in the air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast