Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: One York - Tribeca - Condo - by Enrique Norten and TEN Arquitectos

Banned Member

Thumbs up

Exceeds expectations

I saw an ad for this in New York Times Style Magazine back in 2005 and had it saved somewhere as it struck me as quite ideal. (picture below) I found it in my briefcase a short while ago and thought I'd look it up for fun. That's how I found this thread.

Anyway, it was really interesting to read about the building and see the many posted photos of it's progress.

Anybody have pictures of the pictured penthouse? Here's the ad I saw:

-Jonathan Rehm

Curbed has some photos of it during construction.

One really rich dude bought not only the penthouse but the majority of the many floors of the top glass-walled section and combined it into a cozy new home:

... One York, which is still very much under construction. It's all presented above, from the $25 million penthouse to telecom mogul Michael Hirtenstein's collection of apartments in the building, which is now hovering at six units and a combined $35 million in acquisitions and build-out (that's his hot tub above). What isn't shown above is the first finished space, the model residence on the fifth floor ...
    Here's that 5th Floor model:

Curbed Inside: One York's Model Gets Dressed Up

This building came out great! Definitely like the quality and color of the class and the contrast with the white bricked bottom.

Default it does

the building does look great but i am hard pressed to see how one can justify spending $35 million and live on one of the busiest parts of canal street.

If you mean vehicle traffic, it's much the same as most Manhattan Avenues.

If you mean sidewalk traffic, it's relatively empty.

The intersection of Canal / Sxith Avenue / Varick is going through a complete tranformation from what it has been for the past 50 years.

Aside from One York, there is the snazzy new hotel rising catty-corner across Canal on the Moondance Diner site at Sixth / Grand.

Half a block to the east at 370 Canal another big hotel is going up (it's now a couple of stories above the ground after a very long period of foundation construction).

Just across Laight Street on a former triangular parking lot the new CaVaLa Park is under construction.

Directly across Canal the Trinity Property site at 417 Canal has been cleared and ready for redevelopment (although any movement on that site is probably delayed due to the credit crisis).

Not to mention the 56 Leonard mega-tower rising a few blocks to the south.

And the Trump SoHo CondoTel rising a few blocks to the north.

The downside:
    The little triangle across Sixth which houses a low-rise bunch of storefronts will remain an eyesore. The lot is probably to small to develop and is problematic in other ways.

A number of lots across Canal between Thompson and West Broadway will no doubt be combined for some sort of development in the future.
    However One York will continue to have (for the most part) uninterruped views across SoHo to the NE and across Tribeca to the W / SW / S.

And from One York a person can get out of town really quckly via various nearby tunnels and bridges.

This one has alot going for it.

All glass balustrades are really getting played out.

One York does them better than most.

Still architects need to get more inventive than glass = modern. That being said I do like this project alot. Just not the balustrades at the top of the brick portion.

I agree they're played out, but not here. Most buildings with them are giant boxes with glass box-like extensions, the effect is incongruous, and it looks as though they were an afterthought to increase apartment prices. This building has a dynamic shape and utilizes the balconies as an architectural feature, not as merely a pricing feature; the balconies are skillfully used so that they become a dynamic piece of the architecture as a whole. Norten is a truly talented architect that spatially knows when to use balconies and when not to, case in point I think this building would not be what it is, with its energetic yet understated vocabulary if it was filled in and did not have the balconies as it does.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Makes me ill that someone can waste more money in a year than I may make in my lifetime. And the guy sounds like a total a** to boot.

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/01/2...ge_deposit.php

One York's Biggest Fan Walks Away, Forfeits Huge Deposit

Wednesday, January 21, 2009, by Joey

Telecom mogul Michael Hirtenstein became a Curbed household name through his many audacious real estate dealsórenting his Time Warner Center penthouse to Jay-Z for $40,000 per month, purchasing a Plaza apartment and gorgeous Gramercy Park South townhouse and attempting to flip them both, etc.óbut his boldest move was his bachelor pad to end all bachelor pads at Tribeca's One York. Hirtenstein famously fell in love with the building when he drove by the sales office and saw the renderings hanging in the window. When he found out the pictures were of different apartments, he bought them all. And kept buying. He agreed to purchase six apartments in the 32-unit building for $25 million. Then, he enlisted the building's architect, Enrique Norten, to design the built-out space, which would cost another $10 million. We got a look at the place when it was under construction, and it was mind-boggling: private pool, private hot tub (above), double-height rooms, etc. Then we spotted Hirtenstein Forest, and we figured, that's it, happy ending, right?

A tipster sent us a note asking if we had heard anything about Hirtenstein walking away from the deal. We didn't, but we didn't have to go far to look. As it turns out, Newsweek, in a story about how the rich are feeling "luxury shame," reported the details at the end of November:
    In August 2007, the 45-year-old Hirtenstein, who made his fortune in telecommunications, regaled the New York Post with his plans for a $35 million, glass-enclosed duplex in Manhattan's Tribeca neighborhood, replete with suede-covered walls, three living rooms and a heated pool with built-in underwater video screen. Alas, the economy ground to a halt, and so did Hirtenstein's conspicuous consumption of real estate. He quietly reneged on the Tribeca duplex, forfeiting a hefty deposit. That isn't to say Hirtenstein is now selling pencils from a tin cup. "I could walk downstairs now and buy a Ferrari," he says from a suite at Wynn Las Vegas, which boasts a dealership. "But all of my friends are hurting. I don't feel like buying random toys."
    Such a kind soul. Anyway, now One York developer JANI Real Estate is left with a half-finished mansion-in-a-glass-box in a crap market. Perhaps JANI principal Stan Perlman will attempt to break the place back up into smaller apartments. Perhaps JANI principal Stan Perlman will attempt to break Michael Hirtenstein's face.

Late Friday afternoon ...

One York

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast