Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Greenwich Village

That terra cotta beauty is actually at 64-66 East 11th Street (Google MAP). Seems the parking operation there has recently shut down.

This one went up in 1900 and, although the original facade is pretty much intact, it is not Landmarked.

A 1904 NYS Report (P. 290) shows that 64-66 East 11th was, in 1903, a "factory" partially occupied by "Katz S.," a maker of dress skirts. Can't find any info on that company, but a book of Trademark design of the 1920s shows some cool period labels, including one for "Weiner & Katz" who were located across the street at 57 East 11th.

64-66 East 11th was SOLD in August 2006 (DEED: $16.5M)

Post Greenwich Village

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    When I was in the village, this killed me every time I stepped outside. This beautiful building on 12th Street near Broadway is a parking garage.
    I recognized that building; walked by it many times and just never knew 'parking' signs meant the whole building was full of cars - I just assumed it was the ground floors or basements where the cars were parked.

Thanks, once again, for all the terrific photos and commentary. Your posts are of the sort of content I enjoy most here at WNY - as I am sure is also the case for all the other art/architecture geeks who frequent this website.

When I was in the village, this killed me every time I stepped outside. This beautiful building on 12th Street near Broadway is a parking garage. Surprised that a developer hasn't come along and restored/converted it. I don't know any cases where a parking garage was converted into apartments though, bet there would probably be contamination issues

Glad to hear this is going to be restored.

The Real Deal
    http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/05/...for-record-1m/

Village parking space will list for record $1M
    May 21, 2012 09:00AM

Morad Fareed and 66 East 11th Street
    A Greenwich Village parking spot will hit the market for $1 million, making it the most expensive space in the city. The New York Post reported a 12-foot wide by 23-foot long spot in a private garage at Morad Fareed’s forthcoming condominium development at 66 East 11th Street will be the city’s first seven-figure parking space when construction is complete in the fall and the Attorney General’s Office signs off on the conversion.

The development is a former eight-story prewar loft building that last served as a parking garage. Fareed’s Delos Living bought the property for $120 million and will convert it into six condos, including an 8,000-square-foot duplex penthouse with a 3,000-square-foot terrace that will be listed for $38.8 million.

The 15-foot high parking spot could also be duplexed if the buyer installs an elevator lift. “It’s for someone who wants complete privacy,” said Dolly Lenz, vice chairman of Prudential Douglas Elliman. “You can drive in and not be seen again. It’s for the type of person who finds that attractive. It could be a celebrity or a business person who is camera shy.”

The post noted that the space costs six times the average price of a home in the U.S. [Post]

What a gem!

Don't they have to go to Landmark preservation or some similar agency. they can't change the exterior can they?

That building and the area nearby aren't landmarked. Amazing, eh?

I'd give that baby some love and cover it a nice green reflective glass.

Jefferson Market Library

Magnificent. There are a few lousy 1960s brick buildings near this that I would love to see redeveloped.

This old beauty at 64-66 East 11th Street has now had the terra cotta & brick facade completely restored and it looks magnificent. Condo conversion should be completed within a few months.

Units there are starting at $15,000,000!!!

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/99393...llage-new-york

http://66e11th.com

http://delosliving.com/project/66-e-11th-street/

66 E. 11th Street

When I was in the village, this killed me every time I stepped outside. This beautiful building on 12th Street near Broadway is a parking garage. Surprised that a developer hasn't come along and restored/converted it. I don't know any cases where a parking garage was converted into apartments though, bet there would probably be contamination issues

I'm in love with it, but when will they fix that crappy street level?

Those are all the "Before" shots. The base is still behind scaffolding & plywood, but given the way it looks up top I'd expect it to look pretty fine at street level.

Wow! They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Can't wait to see the completed restoration.

The one next door on the right is a beauty, too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234