Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ThreeTen East 53 - 310 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by SLCE

Anyone know anything new about the site? They seem to be at the same point they were back in July.

Architectural Padawan

I walked by the site today, and they were pouring concrete

Looking over the renderings of this building on the previous page: why in the world did they design the lower section as such a cold faceless bunker? Thatīs the part of the building the public has to live with, and this is not a pretty face. No attempt to pick up the rhythm of the surrounding buildings. With so much blank area on the facade, the materials used will be the deciding factor... if they use cheap looking stuff, itīs going to be a disaster. The east 50īs were once very charming...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Looking over the renderings of this building on the previous page: why in the world did they design the lower section as such a cold faceless bunker? Thatīs the part of the building the public has to live with, and this is not a pretty face. No attempt to pick up the rhythm of the surrounding buildings. With so much blank area on the facade, the materials used will be the deciding factor... if they use cheap looking stuff, itīs going to be a disaster. The east 50īs were once very charming...
    I don't understand it either. They would have done well with perhaps gutting the existing tenement buildings on the site and building through them while cleaning up and repainting the tenement buildings. An apartment building on 51st and 1st did something similar by building through an old United Nations school building that was landmarked.

Banned Member

The base looks very "institutional".

Thanks for the nice photos macreator.

Today 53rd Street between 1st and 2nd Ave. was closed as crews constructed the beginnings of the crane to be used for the building.

When I went by in the late afternoon, the crane appeared to be between 8-12 stories tall.

Can't wait to start seeing some framework go up on this baby.

Work continues on constructing the crane today as I look out my window and see a huge section of the crane being held over Second Avenue.

I'm going to try to take a few shots of the construction today if I can ever find my Digital Camera.

I took these two shots this morning as crews assembled the rest of the crane for the 310 East 53rd Street site.

The first shot is a close up of the crane being put up.

The second shot is to give you a sense of where this building is being built in comparison to the other landmarks of Midtown East. The dark glass building a few blocks to the right is the Milan which was built last year.

I love Midtown, Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crane_53_1.jpg 
Views:	1786 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proportion.jpg 
Views:	1811 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	817  

The Dude Abides

Nice photos Macreator. That's one of my favorite areas of the skyline, with the Citicorp Building and the Lipstick Building next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    That's one of my favorite areas of the skyline, with the Citicorp Building and the Lipstick Building next to it.
    As it is mine. One of the reasons I love my apartment is the view I have of the Citigroup building, the Lipstick, and the old GE building (the one with the crown which is lit up orange at night). The Bloomberg building is also a nice addition.

Building's website is at http://www.threetencondo.com/

The site of 310 East 53rd Street on 7 May 2005.

I spent some time in person looking at the large rendering posted at the site, and it looks even nicer than in the web images. The glass has tasteful tones of blue and green and the base is not as bad as I originally thought.

The above pic brings to mind something I've always tought about Turtle Bay and other New York neighborhoods in general. See the small building painted in white with blue trim at the extreme right of the photo? That building, and several others in the same stretch of second avenue- add such wonderful charm and character to the neighborhood. I love when I see small nicely painted tenement buildings juxtaposed against larger modern buildings. Couldn't the City sponsor some kind of program to chip in on the cost with the owners of the neglected ones, and get them all looking spiffy with painted cornices and window trims, etc.? Many neighborhoods of Manhattan would be transformed visually at street level, and seriously, how much could it really cost in the grand scheme of things.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast