Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ThreeTen East 53 - 310 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by SLCE

what the heck happened to the other design? the one posted on the site? this one is banal. this is in my neighborhood so I am particularly pissed.

Back to what I was saying.

"These neighborhoods need strict protection... laws that govern the size, shape, and materials of what is built there."

Who are these developers responsible to? And why believe their seductive renderings?

What´s funny is that so many of these ultra wealthy developers and investors are happy to live in areas, in and outside of the city, where you can´t even paint your front door the color of your choice.... yet they´ll balk at any restrictions to their development projects. "Not in my backyard".

This building is a big let down, especially since at first, for a short while Gehry was the architect of record. His design was too costly so for another short while we had a fine articulated glass tower, sans the base, and now we have this. Again, a big let down.

Tuesday, May 31st, 2005

Sorry for low quality -- taken on my cellphone's camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3

I didn't really take a close look at the rendering and thought it was basically the same design with a more realistic interpretation of the glass. But after a closer look they're obviously different designs and the nicer version posted on the job site is probably what it's going to resemble. I still doubt the glass will be that transparent though.

Question "We're not in Kansas anymore".

Eegads, I grew up in this neighborhood and looking at your photos I am sensing things have really changed. Is that old Public School still on 50th and 1st? What about that old white corner apartment building with the atrium center? Are the Sutton Place Apt buildings still standing on 52nd between York and 1st???? Any info will be much appreciated, thanks.

Nostalgic, the public school (former UN school) on 51st and 1st avenue's facade has been preserved as a 30 story apartment building was built through it.

I'm not certain which building you're refering to as the white building with an atrium however there is a small white brick apartment building across the street from the old school building.

All Sutton Place buildings are still in existance. Much of the new construction in the area has taken place on Second avenue with an exception being two new apartment houses built across from each other on 51st street and 1st Avenue. Across from the former school building condo there is a 30-something story tower that replaced some one story stores.

Forum Veteran

The building through the school is the Beekman Regent I think... won a bunch of awards and has some crazy penthouses.

This tower
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Sorry, I couldn't upload the picture onto the post, so i had to give the link

Default Beekman Regent

Thanks for the info' and for posting the photo of my old school now a plush hi-rise building..I can hardly take it all in..There used to be a great coffee shop "Mayfair" I think it was called on the far corner of 53rd and 1st..I guess that must be history now as well..Yes this white brick building was really interesting when I was a kid, what with that open atrium center..I have to say that was a really charming neighborhood in the early 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic
    Thanks for the info' and for posting the photo of my old school now a plush hi-rise building..I can hardly take it all in..There used to be a great coffee shop "Mayfair" I think it was called on the far corner of 53rd and 1st..I guess that must be history now as well..Yes this white brick building was really interesting when I was a kid, what with that open atrium center..I have to say that was a really charming neighborhood in the early 60's.
    Your old school (was it the Adams School?) became a homless shelter in the 90's and became quite an eyesore. It was sold by the city (I recall the initial offerring price was 32 million) in 2001 and developed into the luxury condo it is today. They were forced to leave the buildings original facade (landmarked).

The Mayfair closed about 2 years ago (maybe 3) and has remained vacant since. Too bad since it's a nice corner.

I just registered for an apartment in 310 East...but I understand that the initial asking price for the first block of units will be around $1,325/sf. WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by skgnyc
    Your old school (was it the Adams School?) became a homless shelter in the 90's and became quite an eyesore. It was sold by the city (I recall the initial offerring price was 32 million) in 2001 and developed into the luxury condo it is today. They were forced to leave the buildings original facade (landmarked).

The Mayfair closed about 2 years ago (maybe 3) and has remained vacant since. Too bad since it's a nice corner.

I just registered for an apartment in 310 East...but I understand that the initial asking price for the first block of units will be around $1,325/sf. WOW!

Being that the smallest unit in the building is 1603 square feet, that puts the cheapest unit at the bargain price of $2,123,975.00. What a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    Being that the smallest unit in the building is 1603 square feet, that puts the cheapest unit at the bargain price of $2,123,975.00. What a bargain
    I'm wit cha on that! Up the block at the Milan they're re-selling comparable (but slightly smaller) units for $1.8 million and up! I thought those prices were crazy 2-3 years ago at $900/sf. Tough to find the ceiling.

The Dude Abides

Construction update (7/6/05):

If you look closely you can see the outlines of the columns that will be anchoring the few big windows on the lower floors of the building. I'm not really excited by the bunkerish look of the building's base. Very unnecessary.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast