Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ThreeTen East 53 - 310 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by SLCE

Taken today (8/20/05) from 2nd/50th. About 18 floors up and still no cladding.

The Dude Abides

The site was buzzing with activity today. More fresh construction updates:

I come back from vacation and I now have a view of a few floors of 310 now (thankfully) blocking my view of a horrid former Nynex building on 3rd avenue (875).

It's amazing how fast this thing is going up. I wake up every morning and can see in the distance men with white hardhats going around on the roof like ants.

I'll post some shots of my view of the building tomorrow to give a perspective of where this building is going up in terms of its view from the East river.

I can't wait for the glass curtain to go up as well.

As promised here are some shots of 310 from an eastern prospective and with comparisons to where contruction of 310 was in May.

Enjoy.

Full sweep of 310's neighborhood on May 5th 2005

Full sweep of 310's neighborhood on August 28th 2005

A look from the east at 310 on May 5th 2005

A look from the east at 310 on August 28th 2005

310 is dwarfed by its skyscraper neighbors

Dusk falls upon 310

One fantastic thing about new buildings in NYC is that as they go up some other not-so-great building disappears from view

In this case say goodbye to that nasty black & silver notched 80's thing at the SE corner of 53rd / 3rd:

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    One fantastic thing about new buildings in NYC is that as they go up some other not-so-great building disappears from view

In this case say goodbye to that nasty black & silver notched 80's thing at the SE corner of 53rd / 3rd:
    Very true, I am happy to lose what I believe is an old Nynex building from my view. The roof is simply a hideous array of uncovered mechanical rooms. The building has an unfinished feel to it for some reason. Plus the insides of the building don't feel much better either (a friend of mine had many a meetings in 875 Third).

Architectural Padawan

I didn't have a chance to take a picture, but this morning I noticed that the windows on the first 2 or so floors of the apartment section of the building are now getting installed on the south side of the building.

The glass building in the background: that's about as bad as a building can get. Squat, shapeless, ill-proportioned, out of scale. It probably replaced some lil ol' decerepit buildings that londonlawyer might describe as crap. In this case I think I wish the crap were back.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Some pics courtesy of www.sotawall.com.

^ Great more glass!

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Several old buildings (decent ones -- albeit neglected ones) are being razed across from 310 East 53rd (which, in my opinion, looks much shitt..ier than in the renderings). Has anyone seen renderings of what will rise there?
    So long as you mentioned 310 east 53rd street, they have a nice website:

http://threetencondo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    310 East 53rd which, in my opinion, looks much shitt..ier than in the renderings
    I actually really like 310's tower portion. I love the glass they used -- so much brighter and more beautiful than the glass used on the Milan condo a few blocks up. The blue hue is wonderful.

I agree with you, however, on the fact that the base of 310 leaves much to be desired. I wish they had just continued the glass curtainwall to the base, but like many developers, they thought that a limestone base would somehow make the condo tower seem more "luxurious". Instead, the base is very foreboding and even "instiutional".

While the Milan tower's glass looks alright in daylight, on cloudy days the building really looks dismal while 310 is much easier on the eyes -- in my opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I actually really like 310's tower portion. I love the glass they used -- so much brighter and more beautiful than the glass used on the Milan condo a few blocks up. The blue hue is wonderful.

I agree with you, however, on the fact that the base of 310 leaves much to be desired. I wish they had just continued the glass curtainwall to the base, but like many developers, they thought that a limestone base would somehow make the condo tower seem more "luxurious". Instead, the base is very foreboding and even "instiutional".

While the Milan tower's glass looks alright in daylight, on cloudy days the building really looks dismal while 310 is much easier on the eyes -- in my opinion anyway.
    310's glass is too grey. It looks lighter and brighter on the website. I agree with you about its base (i.e., it sucks).

The Dude Abides

Somewhat related news, but this is not a new building:

From http://cityrealty.com:

East 53rd Street building to be converted to condos 03-JAN-06

The six-story commercial loft building at 307-311 East 53rd Street has been sold for $15,450,000 to a buyer who plans to convert it residential condominiums in about 7 years when existing leases expire.

Built in 1886, the handsome, red-brick, mid-block building, which is between Second and First Avenues,

According to Clinton Olsen of Massey Knakal Realty Services, the broker in the transaction, lease expirations for the current four commercial tenants are staggered over the next seven years and include world-renowned wine distributor Fred Wildman and the bar Metro 53.

The transaction, he said, occurred at a capitalization rate of 4.72% and a gross rent multiple of 15.15. The property sold for $491.44 per square foot.

The fifth floor is now vacant and will become the New York offices of Miramar Properties, the buyer, which is based in Philadelphia, Mr. Olsen told CityRealty.com today.

The seller was the Mittman family.

The building contains about 31,438 square feet.

it looks like Davis Broady Bond is the architect
    thay have done a great job on the union sq development for steven