Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: ThreeTen East 53 - 310 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by SLCE

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    The UES was never known for, and certainly never developed its cachet because of, those little stores on the low-numbered avenues. It was always about Park, Fifth, and Madison, and those are as dull as any streetscapes you'll ever encounter.
    If you asked rich, middle-aged folks you got the answer you think was the only one; if you asked young lions on the make, you found that the bar life, the young bodies, the promiscuous (pre-AIDS) lifestyle, the relatively-affordable rents and the ineffably charming mix of antique stores, designer boutiques, ethnic food shops, dance places, serious watering holes, hardware stores, et al. provided all the cachet anybody could want. If you were twenty-five and just starting out, this was the place to be.

Yorkville was the epicenter with its Irish bars (Dorian's Red Hand, Malachy's) and all those Hungarian butchers, German konditoreis, Mittel-European bistros
    didn't harm the ambience either.

It's all gone.

Character and cachet are two different things. I'm not sure the UES ever had a "reputation" for any of that, per se (vs. the idea of the place as THE jet-setter, trust-fund capital of the city), people just sort of found themselves there. Many of the 80s condo buildings in Yorkville are apparently very fratty; people fresh out of college and working on Wall Street live there and host kegger parties and the like. And of course there's nothing young financiers like more than generic Irish bars.

310 E 53rd will turn out okay... let's give it a chance to be completely finished.. The "interesting tenement" building they tore down across the street had been abandoned for years, was a complete eyesore and a haven for the homeless.. As a property owner in the area, I agree, glass boxes aren't always the best solution, but there is still plenty of charm left in Turtle Bay.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownMike
    As a property owner in the area, I agree, glass boxes aren't always the best solution, but there is still plenty of charm left in Turtle Bay.
    As another property owner in Turtle Bay, I'm concerned about how none of the new residential properties has space on its ground floor for a restaurant or bar. Every place to go eat/drink in this neighborhood is on the ground floor of a tenenment. As the tenements get razed and replaced, eventually we are going to start losing places to go... Thady Con's was the first to go, it got damaged by a bulldozer during the construction of the new building on 49th and 2nd. How many more will it take before the neighborhood groups take notice?

Thank you Deimos.

The "interesting tenement" building they tore down across the street had been abandoned for years, was a complete eyesore and a haven for the homeless
    Hmmmm....Wait a minute, I have to ask a question. What they tore down on the other side, the West side of the streeet, wasn't that more than one building? And I think the last one was abandoned, but of the other ones, didn't they have occupants? I am not sure, but I thought one of them had that awesome rooftop bar, that had umbrellas, tables, people drinking and having fun up there, and everytime I walkied by at night I would look up and see the crowd up there, it looked so nice. It was a colorful, lively addition to the nabe. Was that part of this row of demolished tenements? I thought it was but could be wrong.
    is there anyone in the 'hood that could clarify/verify this? Thanks.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    I am not sure, but I thought one of them had that awesome rooftop bar, that had umbrellas, tables, people drinking and having fun up there, and everytime I walkied by at night I would look up and see the crowd up there, it looked so nice. It was a colorful, lively addition to the nabe. Was that part of this row of demolished tenements? I thought it was but could be wrong.
    is there anyone in the 'hood that could clarify/verify this? Thanks.
    As far as I remember, there were no open bars in the buildings torn down. It was a huge structure with a courtyard in the middle of it. It looked like it could have been refurbished into a really high end low-rise condo development, but I'm not sure if there's a market for that in Turtle Bay.

I live in Turtle Bay. The set of buildings that was demolished on the southwest corner of 53rd and 1st Avenue had been abandoned for as long as I've lived in the area (10 years). Only one of them had tenants and was incredibly run down for the area. It had a lone newsstand on the first floor on the 53rd street side. But the Avenue blockfront was really a blight on the neighborhood. I remember that the entrance to the last tenement with tenants had an odd chain across the door that I would see tenants duck under when entering. Weird, eh?

While I was happy to see that piece of blight leave, and am even pleasantly surprised by the nice design of 310 (minus the base), I am very worried about the future prospects for retail in the area. I mean these new buildings really do suck the life out of the area.

An example is the intersection of 51st street on 1st Avenue. Two corners are brand new apartment towers and one has a gigantic Duane Reade and the other has a gigantic Chase bank with some retail space still empty. It's awful. And the sad part is that one of these new buildings replaced a wonderful, vibrant row of 1 story retail structures that had some cafes and stores.

I know that at some point the market will correct itself and these buildings will be foreced to lower their rents, but it is still worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    An example is the intersection of 51st street on 1st Avenue. Two corners are brand new apartment towers and one has a gigantic Duane Reade and the other has a gigantic Chase bank with some retail space still empty.
    Similar to 6th Ave. above 23rd ...

I must have been thinking of another block when describing the roof-top bar.
    Can you think of an establishment like the one I was describing, in the area somewhere? A nicely designed bar on the roof, with lights and tables and people drinking, all visible from the street?

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    I must have been thinking of another block when describing the roof-top bar.
    Can you think of an establishment like the one I was describing, in the area somewhere? A nicely designed bar on the roof, with lights and tables and people drinking, all visible from the street?
    The first one to come to mind is sutton place... on 2nd ave between 53 and 54

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos
    The first one to come to mind is sutton place... on 2nd ave between 53 and 54
    Was about to say the same thing. Busy place.

Thanks! That must be the one. Wish there were more rooftop bars like it, visible from street level. It really makes the block feel so dynamic in warm weather.

March 24, 2006:

OK tower, but the fortress-like base is just wrong wrong wrong, especially on this stretch of 2nd. If the base could talk, it would be saying "F**CK YOU" to everyone that passes by.

I hate the windows in the base. WTF were they thinking?
    The designers of this base, whomsoever they may be, should be immediately removed from the profession and exposed to public ridicule.
    Instead, they're probably busy right now, making designs to screw up the streetscape in another neighborhood.

Why did they use horizontal rectangles on the base?? Can anyone defend this aesthetically?
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 21st, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast