Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 111 Central Park North - Harlem - Condo

Pianoman- My college has a total of 1,300 students. You can count the number of blacks on both hands. Even still, they all sit at the same table together in the dining hall, but they also share the common bond of being on the basketball team. My uncle lives in Ansonia, CT, and everyone there knows the blacks live on the west side of the river and the whites on the east. I don't understand how it even happens, but it really isn't good to be that homogenous.

Lofter- I don't know if I'm a bad person, but I feel no remorse for the homeless. Maybe it's because I'm the first house on the block from a subway stop and occasionally, about once a week, I'll get homeless people on my stoop, sometimes they are quiet but other times loud and clearly intoxicated, sometimes using the front garden as a toilet. My father and I come out and they know by now to go away because we don't put up with it.

That said, I don't want to stereotype here because there are genuine people who just fall on hard times, but many homeless people are former drug addicts who have put themselves in this position. Others are just lazy and never made an attempt at further education, or even a trade to create a line of work for a self-sustainable livelihood. I'm in favor of homeless shelters to give these people a jump start, some food and clothes, but when people wind up here they need to immediately try to find work and get their life back. The thing that bothers me is when people spend years at a shelter, or return continuously and abuse the system. Remember, even welfare was supposed to be temporary. Since it's still available, I just feel there's no excuse except in rare cases.

Well let's just hope you never find yourself in a situation -- either due to the economy or health issues -- where your finances crumble.

Do you give money to homeless on the streets?

You see, we have to differentiate the real homeless with the bumps. Usually, the people you see while you are walking on the streets and they look like they are defenetly on something (either drunk or on drugs or just plain crazy)... then they are the bumps.

I honestly think that they should be discourage by cops from asking for money and maybe taken to a shelter if they are found doing that more often.

The other homeless are people who have had financial problems or their house was destroy and need to recieve some temporary shelter. They don't usually wonder on the street.

In college I had a project with a classmate on documenting the homeless in Center City Philadelphia. We found that about maybe 90% of them were in some sort of addiction and the 10% were really crazy. None of the homeless were families displace out of their homes. Lots of them did have a home but like to just wondered on the street to ask for money. The ones that did not have a home said that either they sleep on a shelter or on the streets but similar replies were the fact that been on the streets, they felt free to walk where they want and that they get money to used on drugs and alcohol. Most will not use the money to buy food. Most said they get free meals from shelters and people anyway.

Again this is just based on the project we did. There is no common ground in our findings.

Either case, I do give an annual charity to homeless shelters and I also work with a church and give out sandwiches to homeless people on sundays. I rarely give money. I usually give money to 'artists' on the street.

Banned Member

Homelessness is a societal problem, not a problem of the individual. If anyone ever ventured to do some volunteer work or research into the causes of substance abuse, you would see it is often a symptom of greater trauma in a person's life that went untreated. Rather than dump on people less fortunate or attempt to categorize them by unsubstantiated instincts and reasoning ignorantly ascribed to to them, wouldn't it be more honest and a lot nicer to simply be appreciative that you are not homeless or a drug addict?

No one is responsible for his condition in life. It's always others or the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    Do you give money to homeless on the streets?
    Never to the guys with the big water tanks hawking for "Donations" (which is really a ruse to benefit them individually).

Once in a great while to an individual if the moment strikes me.

Yearly or more to certain shelters / outreach organizations.

And then there's all those taxes the the G-Men take out of my checks ...

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    No one is responsible for his condition in life. It's always others or the universe.
    I didn't say that people were not responsible for their condition, but it is more compassionate to be curious about the condition of others than judgemental. The great majority of people who lead what one mighht consider a "problem life" come from troubled backgrounds and horrendous childhood experiences. If you want to explore the issue at all, you will find it absolutely true. I do work with drug addicts on a volunteer basis and there's not one I've met yet where, once I hear their story, I don't think, "I understand why you turned to drugs."

And, if you are in NYC the weekend of October 8, 9, 10, I can arrange for you to volunteer at a workshop and experience some of these stories and see the realities of drug addiction and the root causes.

This thread has enhanced my potential graduate thesis.......Black Flight!

I have observed a bunch of African-Americans (many who originally migrated from the South in the 50s and 60s) leave the City of New York, and have gone "back Down South", for nicer, cheper houses and bigger land. All of my remaining aunts and uncles, except one, have "retired back home to N. Carolina". I have a feeling my mother, at the completion of her coop payments (in the next year or so), is outta here!!!!! And to think that Mom didn't want to be "reminded of them tobacco fields."

I'm right now thinking of historical factors playing a role in re-migration over the last 15 years.......

1) Redlining, by banks, back in the day

2) Crime

3) Guliani's "war on color!"

and now.....

4) Cost of living.....more like cost of housing!

Let's be real.....111 CPN is discouraging to a lot of people. So is a $440K two-bed condo in Bushwick, a neighborhood once left for dead! Trust me, I'm all for development, and doing my best to own something in this city, but if persons of color are not afforded opportunities to get a piece of the pie, they will go elsewhere!

And speaking of CPN, a friend of mine is in a condo in the CPN area (right across from the park). He bought it in 1978, at, hold your breath....$167K! 3 beds, two baths! He is the last African-American in the building!!!!!!! A realtor recently offered him $1.4M. To be honest, that's too damn low. However, in the context of re-migration, how much can $1.4 get you in the Carolinas.........????????? And how much cash may still be pocketed.....??????

Default Views on 111 CPN

what is your view on this building.. is this building a good investment...good design, and good neighborhood to invest in? just thinking about purchasing in this building and would like to hear some comments on 111 CPN..

The Dude Abides

New York Post Online Edition

Gimme Shelter

By Braden Keil

Harlem hottie

Gentrification is hitting the fast track in Harlem, with word that a duplex penthouse apartment to be built on Central Park North (aka 110th Street) is about to sell for more than $12 million. The buyer is said to be a tycoon from Australia.

Should the sale close in the building known as 111 Central Park North, it will be more than three times the neighborhood's current record price of $3.89 million for a single-family home.

Two duplex penthouses in the 20-story building are being combined into a sprawling 7,000-square-foot mansion with 2,000 square feet of terraces. The park-fronting building will comprise 47 condo units and is expected to be completed in late 2007.

Another sale at 111 CPN, which brokers say has sold approximately a quarter of its units since opening its sales office after Labor Day, involves an entire 5,500-square-foot floor fetching more than $6 million. The Athena Group developers had no comment on the pending sales.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Default wow....

^^^^$12MM!!! thats incredible! i guess if a similar apt is worth $30-40MM on CPW, 5th ave or CPS, I guess $12MM isnt that bad.

The Dude Abides

Here's the floorplan for the building, courtesy of Curbed:

Former Development Du Jour 111 Central Park North is back in the news today with Braden Keil's report that an unnamed buyer (a "tycoon from Australia," huzzah!) is dropping $12 million on a duplex penthouse in the building. Near as we can tell from spending some more time at the 111 CPN website—perhaps the worst-designed new development website we've ever seen, in terms of how many clicks it takes just to get to any kind of nuts-and-bolts information—the buyer is combining two units into one by merging the front unit (which has the most Central Park frontage) with a side unit (which has only one room facing the park. Which makes sense. If, you know, you've got $12 million lying around. The price is, of course, a new record for Harlem.

Sales at 111 CPN are going okay—the place is about 25% sold since opening its sales office earlier this month, Keil reports. One entire 5,5000 square foot floor sold for over $6 million.

Default Winner: best website award.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post
    what is your view on this building.. just thinking about purchasing in this building and would like to hear some comments on 111 CPN..
    My comment: this building has one of the best websites I have ever seen !

Nice ^^^

Now if only they'd get rid of that fugly Mt. Sinai Hospital black box on the east side of CP (which, considering its location, just could be the worst building in NYC) things would look great from those upper floors.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast