Page 33 of 95 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Island City Development

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I just ran across a rendering.

It's the last tower shown here although now, I'm also interested in knowing more about the white tower next to it.

I seem to remember the white tower was just a rendering done, but was just that...a rendering, with no one saying it would be built or funding couldn't be found.

Gotta disagree about Queens Plaza transforming in the next few years. Until the strip clubs are gone or reduced and they somehow relocate those Riker's Island buses, that area will have a hard time. One or two private condos projects going up in the immediate QP area won't help...there's needs to be much more to keep pressure up on the politicians to maintain the upkeep.

Re-painting the elevated subway lines won't help much b/c once they finish doing it, it has to be re-done again b/c the whole project takes so long!

And planting trees and bushes helps, but then they die and then there's no money to re-plant them, at least for a few years, and the area is then preceived as rundown again. Also, they gotta get rid of that parking garage...jeez, that thing is the very definition of ugly. I know there are plans, but who knows when they will happen.

I agree the QP area will eventually change, but I think maybe in the next RE boom, not this one.

kyle, youre so pessimistic

Default Queens plaza

ok kyle i think you are referring about the the 40 story tower on the corner of jackson ave and qns plaza which is currently home to the 5 story municipal garage. The building will be built once they have finished finding an anchor tenant. the white building is a view of the HSBC building which is to N/E corner of northen & QB i don"t know when it is to be built however the sight where it is to be built is vacant awaiting tear down i assume. I respect your disagreement, However you have to picture new trees (That won"t die because the city & fed gov"t are investing $50 million and then become maintained by the parks dept) In addition View 59 is being built right next door to scandals a strip club. This is business nothing personal the new incoming businesses will push out the garbage. Money moves mountains my friends. Finally the reason why it"s taking so long this time to paint is because for the first time ever they are stripping the steel instead of just repainting it. Let"s not forget about the BID Maintaining the area the BID only gets stronger.

$50 Million for trees??

Default queens plaza

it"s $50 million for total improvements for queens plaza by the gov"t

Numerous trees around Citylights in LIC have died and when are they being replaced? It's been *years* for some of them. I'm sure when they were planted, everyone thought they'd live, but they didn't and now no one has money to replace them. Additionally, I've taken the citizen pruner course by the Parks Dept. to try and help trees in LIC, but like everything in NYC, things take time and the Parks Dept. are horribly underfunded and they admit it takes years and years and years to replace dead trees.

And yes, it's true, I am pessimistic.

When dealing with NYC beauracy, hope for the best, expect the worst.

Post Remember this?

City Plans Middle-Income Project on Queens Waterfront
    Uli Seit for The New York Times
    Land along the East River in Queens would be the site of up to 5,000 rental apartments for the middle class, under plans announced Thursday.

By DAMIEN CAVE
    Published: October 20, 2006
    Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced plans yesterday to buy 24 acres of Queens waterfront property for a towering development, which would be the largest middle-income housing complex built in New York City in more than 30 years.
    Under the proposal, the city would bring as many 5,000 new rental units to a largely industrial area of Long Island City, where chic restaurants are just beginning to appear amid low-slung factories and three-family homes.
    The new apartments, Mr. Bloomberg said, would be for families of four earning between $60,000 and $145,000 a year, who would pay $1,200 to $2,500 a month in rent.
    Though the ratio of middle-income apartments to market-rate units would depend on environmental studies and potential cleanup costs, city officials said they were hoping to make the entire complex affordable and to keep it that way for 40 years.
    “Not only will it give birth to a new community that’s going encourage new growth in Long Island City, and complement our efforts to revive the city’s waterfront,” Mr. Bloomberg said, “it will also provide much needed housing for the real backbone of our city, our teachers, nurses, police officers.”
    The mayor emphasized that the deal — in which the city purchased the land from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for about $146 million — was “a smart investment” that exemplified his administration’s plan to build and preserve 165,000 units of lower-cost housing over 10 years.
    The mayor compared the proposed complex to the most ambitious previous efforts to create middle-class housing in New York: Starrett City, which added 5,888 new units to Brooklyn in 1974, and Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village in Manhattan, a sprawling set of 110 brick towers with 11,232 apartments that has been a working-class haven for six decades.
    Indeed, the sale of Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village, across the East River from the new site, seemed to hover over the deal announced yesterday.
    On Tuesday, Metropolitan Life, the owner of the Manhattan complexes, agreed to sell the property for $5.4 billion to a real estate firm, in a plan that could lead to the loss of many of the buildings’ rent-regulated units over the next few decades. Even as tenants pulled together a bid with support from the City Council, the mayor stayed on the sidelines, drawing rebukes from housing activists who questioned his dedication to affordability.
    Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff had said it was a matter of efficient use of public dollars: preserving the historic units would have cost about $107,000 per unit. In contrast, he said yesterday, the units in the new Queens development would be built for about $54,000 each in city funds.
    “So we can get two units here for every one there,” he said at the press conference announcing the deal, “plus we get a major increase in the housing stock.”
    Mayor Bloomberg interjected, “You must remember that a lot of the housing units in Stuyvesant and Peter Cooper Village are affordable and will stay affordable for many, many years.”
    He said the new development “really is a net plus to the city.” He said its location on the water, where it looks out on the United Nations and the Empire State Building, showed the city’s determination to weave affordable housing into areas that might otherwise have become enclaves for the wealthy.
    “This is as good a piece of property as you will find,” Mr. Bloomberg said.
    The city plans to complete the purchase within 90 days, develop a master plan for a mixed-use development including retail shops and parks, and then solicit bids from private builders, perhaps as early as next year.
    Housing activists reacted mainly with praise, but also with measures of skepticism.
    Some questioned the income limits, suggesting that they overshot the families in greatest need. But the larger issue seemed to be one of scope and emphasis.
    Michael McKee, treasurer of the Tenants Political Action Committee, and Tom Waters, a housing analyst with the Community Service Society, repeated a longstanding complaint that new construction will never be enough to offset the loss of rental units that are rapidly moving from regulated to market rate.
    A study in May by the Community Service Society found that between 1990 and 2005, nearly a quarter of the roughly 121,000 apartments built under federal and state subsidy programs dating from the 1960’s and 70’s left those programs. This year alone, by the authors’ count, New York City will lose more than 5,000 apartments for low- and middle-income families.
    “This is a blind spot on the part of the mayor and the administration,” Mr. McKee said. “They are stubbornly refusing to recognize that they are taking one step forward, three steps back.”
    Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, a Westchester Democrat who heads a committee of the State Legislature that oversees public authorities, also questioned whether the deal would make efficient use of the Port Authority’s land.
    He said the sale price of about $29 a square foot was “infinitely less than what the market would bear.”
    Yet for many in Queens, the project seemed to be welcome, and overdue. The waterfront area known as Queens West, of which the land sold yesterday is a part, has been the subject of promised development since the early 1980’s. Had the city’s bid for the 2012 Olympic Games been accepted, the site would have been used for the Olympic Village. The new development would fill the fallow land just south of a handful of high-rise apartment buildings that have appeared only in the past few years.
    “This is one more example of how Long Island City is in the midst of a renaissance,” said Councilman Eric Gioia, who represents Long Island City and lives in one of the buildings along the water. “For too long, our waterfront has been neglected and forgotten.”

Anyone know if there are any signs of this developing?

Quote Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
    Anyone know if there are any signs of this developing?
    The place to watch is the Mayor's 2030 initiative. It's supposed to outline where the city's next million new residents will live. I expect it will include several new major housing initiatives like this proposal. I think they're aiming for a release in March.

2030?? i'll be 44 years old by then. Whats the hold up?

Default 2030

i hear the same thing i feel when the mayors 2030 report comes out there will be a new explosion in LIC of new development

Quote Originally Posted by jrosa51894 View Post
    i hear the same thing i feel when the mayors 2030 report comes out there will be a new explosion in LIC of new development
    Well, the new development itself won't all happen at once, but hopefully the report will make a clear statement of the city's plans and policies.

Default 2030

But you must agree that once it"s laid out big developers will want a piece of LIC if the plan includes LIC in the 2030 plan.

Default Ride the RE boom...while it lasts

The 'powers that be' have been planning LIC for several decades now...and they've benefited from low interest rates and rezoning...I don't think the 2030 plan will make difference if interest rise or inflation rises.

And don't forget the beginning of WW3..otherwise known as the 'Iraq occupation.' And global warming.

QP will increase in value in the coming decades if we don't go below sea level, otherwise it'll be a den of prostitution and gang violence and if you think differently move your family there...let's see if your wife and children would like to live there. My guess is that they won't.

Default Get a Grip Kyle

1. Area was rezoned in late 2001

2. Stop being a liberal this is not the Blog for that junk. (Go bush!) (Nuke the middle east for all I care make it a parking lot)

3. This also isn"t the blog for global warming cconspiracy crap. (Sea Level Your funny. Tell all the people in Manhattan to sell now!!!!!)

4. The power that be have not been planning this for decades see #1

5. Queens plaza will be a boom within 3-5 years max.

6. Reagarding my wife and children we own in the LIC core my friend so i know exactly whats going on here my property values keep going up every year. We also plan on living here until a ripe old age my friend