Page 37 of 95 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Island City Development

Random Personality

I'm sort of excited to see this one go up. its very much different from the stuff that is going up on the waterfront, and it also seems not to have above ground parking (thank god). And it will add to the little skyline thats starting to form around citicorp.

Are any specific plans in the works for the site sharing the eastern wall of the U.N. Credit Union? That blank cinderblock wall is really ugly.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    Are any specific plans in the works for the site sharing the eastern wall of the U.N. Credit Union? That blank cinderblock wall is really ugly.
    I believe they are building a residential of about 16 floors right behind it. I believe jrosas said somewhere in this thread that they were. Not sure though who would be the developer or anything.

Default UN cedit corp

Rockrose owns the lot behind the building and once that little 6 story building is ripped down they will be be building a 16-22 story building. this is what i was told by a rep from rockrose when they visited the site last year

The Dude Abides

Has anyone heard of Shvo's new project in this area? I recently skimmed through a magazine article in FastCompany that talked about it. Apparently it's supposed to be much bigger than the Rockrose development, and much more high profile (in design, height, and price).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    ... from Scarano's website. This will be their biggest project by far.
    They're much better at small.

Proliferation and stacking of small doesn't yield a satisfactory big.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Has anyone heard of Shvo's new project in this area? I recently skimmed through a magazine article in FastCompany that talked about it. Apparently it's supposed to be much bigger than the Rockrose development, and much more high profile (in design, height, and price).
    There doesn't seem to be any renderings on their site. But it looks to be 4 towers and over 2000 units or so with one having ove 800 so its a big time project. They have it listed under 2007 so maybe well see some movement on it this year?

Mentions the project:http://biz.yahoo.com/fastco/070307/f...0991.html?.v=1
    Last edited by ramvid01; March 18th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrosa51894 View Post
    Rockrose owns the lot behind the building and once that little 6 story building is ripped down they will be be building a 16-22 story building.
    Please tell me they're NOT tearing this little red building down.

Last edited by antinimby; March 18th, 2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Oops, left out the word "NOT" which changes the meaning entirely

Default the little red building

yes they are. it"s the last 2-3 people that they are getting rid of i heard they made the last tenants some amazing offers but they think their going to win lotto. stupid people they should have taken the best offer and ran with the cash

NO!!!!

That is a little gem in a sea of eyesore garages and warehouses. It must be saved.

F**kin' Rockrose.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any renderings on their site. But it looks to be 4 tours and over 2000 units or so with one having ove 800 so its a big time project. They have it listed under 2007 so maybe well see some movement on it this year?

Mentions the project:http://biz.yahoo.com/fastco/070307/f...0991.html?.v=1
    Do you or anyone else know the exact sites for this development or any of Shvo's other LIC projects?

FastCompany.com
    Shvo Motion

And then there's Long Island City--Shvo's own personal Tomorrowland. It's a chilly December night, and we're back in his car, moving slowly over the Queensborough Bridge into Manhattan. It's warm and dark in the back seat, when Shvo starts murmuring sweet nothings into my tape recorder. "The beauty is that Long Island City has no brand, it's nothing. And nothing is a great place to start," he says, his passion rising. He wants nothing more than to rebrand the place, he says, starting with a skyline worthy of Chicago. Boat slips. Parks. Cafés, supermarkets, schools. "Here, I can put up the most beautiful building in the world, and it's not just another building in a busy skyline. Here, I can create anything I want!"

Five years from now, he says, "we'll sit on the Manhattan side and say, 'My God, look at this. It's pretty damn cool."

The Real Deal
    Long Island City/Woodside

Shvo Marketing's president, Michael Shvo, said he is excited about the five condo projects he said his company is working on in Long Island City. "There is nothing that is that virgin-like [in terms of land], like Long Island City," he said.

Shvo said the projects have not yet been submitted to the attorney general, but said plans involve a building on a 1-million-square-foot waterfront parcel, a conversion plus construction of 600,000 square feet near Queens Boulevard, and two buildings off of Jackson Street, one 350,000 square feet and the other 280,000 feet. It was too premature, Shvo said, to discuss the fifth development. A grocer may take space in one of the buildings, which would be the first supermarket to come to the neighborhood, although Long Island City is the headquarters for the online grocer Fresh Direct.

New York Buisness:
    July 18, 2005

Rockrose plans huge development in Queens
    Rockrose Development Corp. is proposing construction of a residential high rise in Long Island City, Queens, that would be the largest condominium in the five boroughs, according to sources.

The building, which would be designed by architect Thomas Phifer, could be built at the Queens West site where the Olympic Village for the 2012 Summer Games had been proposed.

The Queens West Development Corp., a state-run body overseeing the 74-acre parcel, earlier this month began a study examining development possibilities for the site. It says no decision will be made until the study is completed in the fall.
    Is there an exact site for this tower yet? Here's a vague rendering fom Thomas Phifer & Partners. If each of those divisions occur ever 20 stories, this would be a 60+ story project. Watch out J.C..

Thomas Phifer & Partners
    http://www.tphifer.com/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; March 18th, 2007 at 03:37 PM.

More banality from Rockrose. ^ That base looks scary. I'm starting to really hate them.

I despise their 2 Gold Street. Thier Queens West East Coast project looks okay, maybe it's just because AvalonBay's towers are so bad though.

Nice lookin tower lets see if it gets built. I really don't like the base though it looks so dull and empty. it looks almost like they are trying to do a crude imitation of the Liberty National Towers at Liberty National Golf Course in Jersey City, u/c this summer, just with out the harmoniess curviture of the building. It looks to broken up IMO.