Page 55 of 95 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Island City Development

Default 43rd ave

i also hear that the autoparts store on jackson ave near c/o purves st is going to be torn down in may and an 14-18 story building is going up

In addition to the taxi depot on 43rd ave and 24st is in seroius negotiations of a buyer

I tell you i open my window and i cant recognize the area anymore hahahah
    Hey does anyone have pics of the new building about to go up across from fusion?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Don't remember if this has been posted here already, but here's a new rendering from DeArch, LLC but as usual from them, there's little else in the way of information...

Default new construction

is that a rendering of the new building on 43rd ave and cresent st or another building

Your guess is as good as mine. I count somewhere around 23-24 floors so if there's any proposal out there fitting that description, this could be it.

Either way, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Default Picture of New Building

I looked at the site apparently this is a pic of one of the new buildings on queens plaza looks good

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

very nice.

So 50 or so people who don't know a thing about planning for a city are going to decide what's best for the entire neighborhood?

Of course City Planning, the weak, spineless agency that it is, will yield to their shortsighted and self-serving demands while hurting the natural and economic growth of the area.

Rezoning delay in Dutch Kills draws ire

The 13-story Holiday Inn Long Island City
    on 39th Ave. and 29th St.

BY JOHN LAUINGER
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, February 19th 2008, 4:00 AM

Dutch Kills residents showed city planners no love on Valentine's Day.
    A civic meeting on the most romantic night of the year turned into a heated shouting match as furious Dutch Kills denizens blasted city planners for dragging their feet on a proposed rezoning of the area.

"This is an outrage," said Rosanne Polito, 42, a teacher who has lived in the neighborhood her entire life. "This is all we think about. It's not that we have nothing better to do, but this affects our lives every day."

The more than 50 residents who packed the Dutch Kills Civic Association meeting — many holding heart-shaped signs that read: "Don't Kill Dutch Kills" — accused the city Planning Department of needlessly delaying the rezoning by performing a painstaking environmental review.

The additional time required to compile the environmental impact statement — which began late last year and has yet to be completed — has allowed at least 11 high-rise hotels to begin as-of-right construction ahead of the planned rezoning. Under the proposed changes, massive hotels would be banned in most parts of the neighborhood.

"It's like fiddling while Rome burns," said Megan Friedman, a Dutch Kills resident for the last 27 years. "They're allowing all the hotels to come in and destroy the neighborhood they are trying to save."

The current zoning for the area prohibits residential construction in most cases. The proposed rezone, on which planners began working in May 2005, would increase residential density while limiting the scope of light industrial and commercial uses.

Queens Planning Commissioner John Young said an initial environmental assessment of the project showed that a more thorough environmental impact study was necessary to gauge how anticipated population growth would affect the area.

But Councilman Tony Avella, who is running for mayor and currently chairs the City Council's zoning committee, said further study was "ridiculous."

"It just delayed the process another year," Avella (D-Bayside) said at the meeting. "They could've saved money and gotten this done already — every day that goes by, you are going to have another hotel, another development."

Dominick Fortino, who owns a laundry distribution business in the neighborhood and opposes the rezoning, said developers wouldn't be making a mad dash to build hotels in advance of the rezoning if planners had simply increased density in the residential areas.

"City planners created this problem by downzoning the commercial side," he said.

Several residents called for a moratorium on hotel construction while the rezoning is under consideration, but Young said the city can't "arbitrarily" deny people their property rights.

Young said the rezoning plans should be certified in May, a step that triggers a public review process that can take up to seven months. But rezoning will likely not arrive in time to help Vienna Schettino, 48. The basement of her two-story home on 27th St. floods with mud because of construction of a nine-story hotel next door.

"It's like an avalanche," she said of the muck. "Where's the consideration for the people who live here?"

© Copyright 2007 NYDailyNews.com

Coming into work this morning i noticed that the police cars are no longer parked at One Queens Plaza. But i cannot seem to find anything on the development there. I remember they mentioned it briefly in an article about the possible development...but i have not heard anything since.

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    So 50 or so people who don't know a thing about planning for a city are going to decide what's best for the entire neighborhood?

Of course City Planning, the weak, spineless agency that it is, will yield to their shortsighted and self-serving demands while hurting the natural and economic growth of the area.
    Hasn't yielded yet.

You may be wrong about this one, antinimby. Fifty is all that would fit in the room for starters, and there must be a motive here besides the scholarly study of environmental impact:

residents who packed the Dutch Kills Civic Association meeting ... accused the city Planning Department of needlessly delaying the rezoning by performing a painstaking environmental review.
    If eleven hotels got started while the planners were "reviewing", there's something more going on here than scholarly study. Don't you smell the money, greed and power?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Hasn't yielded yet.
    A rezoning here is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow. I can't remember an instance where the community has asked for one and not gotten it in some shape or form.

You may be wrong about this one, antinimby. Fifty is all that would fit in the room for starters, and there must be a motive here besides the scholarly study of environmental impact:
    I don't think so, ablarc. I've followed enough of these rezonings to know how this one will turn out also.

The last community board meeting I went to had hundreds of people and was standing room only. They don't turn away people if they run out of room. Common sense dictates that if it was such a hot issue and too many people showed up, they'd just move to or reschedule to meet in a larger space.

I believe that a major rezoning, by law, has to have an EIS. It's funny that these people are complaining about the very thing (environmental review) that they've (in other parts of the city) have used as delaying and obstructing tactics against projects. Now when it's time to use one when it's really necessary, they're criticizing it. A motive indeed.

If eleven hotels got started while the planners were "reviewing", there's something more going on here than scholarly study. Don't you smell the money, greed and power?
    ablarc, LIC has only started to take off recently. While in the past five years, new development were sprouting all over Manhattan, Brooklyn and Jersey City, LIC was lagging behind.

It is finally only started to catch up and a place like Dutch Kills, where only a few years ago, weren't as desireable is starting to appear on people's radar. That's the only reason why there's as much going right now.

It all comes down to the same thing over and over again in community after community in this city: people seeing so much new construction going on in their backyards are weary of so much uprooting and change and in their minds, they think they can use zoning as a tool to slow or stifle that change.

Little do they know that it's going to happen anyway. Instead of razing a house and being able to build 12 stories, they'll just raze a house and build 5 stories. The lesser number of units in those 5 stories will just be costlier that's all. So in the end, you have

1) a house is razed anyway,
    2) a bunch of stumpy and fatter buildings,
    3) higher price per unit.

So what exactly is the benefit of a downzoning then?
    Last edited by antinimby; February 24th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.

Default More classic NIMBYism...

L.I.C. strife over CUNY dorm plans

BY BRENDAN BROSH
    DAILY NEWS WRITER
    Tuesday, March 4th 2008, 4:00 AM

A developer is looking to build a dormitory and mixed-use building that will bring some 200 CUNY students to Long Island City.

The initial proposal, which called for a 13-story residential building on Fifth St. with 169 apartments, ground-floor retail and 220 grad-student dormitory units, was unanimously rejected by Community Board 2's land use committee in November.

Now the owner, OCA LIC, plans to reintroduce the plan this spring, and has offered space to the Queens Council on the Arts to sweeten the deal, sources told the Queens News.

"We think we weren't as sensitive as we should have been in the past presentation," said Sid Davidoff, a spokesman for OCA. "We're going to spend millions of dollars to clean up the contaminated site. We're adding to the community, not taking away."

But some locals are still unhappy about the proposal, noting the neighborhood shouldn't become a "bedroom community" for transient residents.

"We don't need a dorm here," said Terri Mona Adams of the Hunters Point Community Development Corp. "We need people who want to build a future here."

Some locals said they were also troubled by the magnitude of the project in a neighborhood where condos have already proliferated in recent years.

"There's a dumptruck going down our block every five minutes. The scope and size of the project is out of whack," said William Garrett, a father of three and head of the 47 to 47 Residents Group in Hunters Point.

A CUNY spokesman said the building will house doctoral candidates, some of whom will be living with their families.

"These are not undergraduate or even master's level students," said Michael Arena, a spokesman for CUNY. "They're Ph.D. candidates. They generally spend more than four years living, studying and preparing for their doctoral theses."

Community Board 2 Chairman Joe Conley wrote in November that the initial proposal "does not conform to current zoning and will do nothing to enhance the community."

The development takes advantage of a loophole that allows them to skirt zoning restrictions as long as the building has a "community use."

Councilman Tony Avella, an outspoken critic of the provision, said he is disturbed with the number of dormitories slated to be built in Queens.

"There are so many loopholes that allow developers to build whatever they want," said Avella. "Everywhere you turn around there's another institution that wants to expand at the expense of a community."

Community groups have vowed to fight the project.

"We don't need people coming here and dictating to us," said Adams. "The neighborhood doesn't want it."

A new hearing for the proposal is expected sometime in the spring, according to the city Board of Standards and Appeals.

© Copyright 2007 NYDailyNews.com

As a CUNY student this pisses me off. There are very few housing options for CUNY students. CUNY students in general are very drive oriented and very hard workers, they make their way through college and through this world. Nothing is handed to them, unlike many NYU students who have rich out-of-state parents paying for their West-Village dorm and who then take NYU chartered busses to school. Right now the only housing option CUNY offers its students is the Towers, which is a disgrace, $1,100 a month for a room in Harlem when you can get a room in the same area for $500.

So they don't want dormitories in Manhattan and when someone tries to build it here, they don't want it here either. Maybe nothing and no one should be allowed to do anything, anymore in the city. Just build everything in the suburbs and have everyone commute in by car. I guess that would be smart planning.

This is just across Fifth street from the Queens West towers and one subway stop from Manhattan. This is as good a place to build much needed housing for college students.

If anything, I think they should be allowed to build even larger and denser here just for the fact that it would lessen their need for future expansions elsewhere. It's obvious that this Avella guy, who is just a spineless official and often serves as the NIMBY's mouthpiece, has opposed the size of almost all college dormatory projects in Queens, has no clue the result of what he is calling for.

When you reduce the size of a dormitory, then they would have to build more elsewhere to meet to satisfy the need. Wouldn't that run counter to all his rhetoric that there are too much dormitory development everywhere?

Outside of buddhist monks, I don't think there are more model citizens on the planet than PhD students. These are our future doctors, astronauts, scientist, chemists, executives, etc. I would say they make better community residents than many of these community whiners there now.

As for the Daily News trying to paint this project as somehow being sketchy with words such as "loopholes" and "skirt," they should realize this is perfectly legitmate and allowable within the zoning regulations. The project's owners did not write the law, they are just following it.

From curbed:

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

there is a large pre citylights era presence on this community board, which generally results in resistance of this nature in this area. i'm not making a judgment as to the sensibility of the resistance, just pointing out the specific climate in this area.