Page 85 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1420

Thread: Long Island City Development

First one picture is a new hotel, the second one is Rockrose's newest rental building. 800+ apts., I believe.

Random Personality

The first one is the new rental not the hotel I believe.

Is Malhotra purposely trying to design the ugliest buildings in the world?

Exploring the Second Stage of Queens' Gantry Plaza State Park

by Sara Polsky

[The newest sections of Gantry Plaza State Park mirror the generic feel of
    the glass towers which surround it. All photos by Nathan Kensinger.]

When the first section of Gantry Plaza State Park opened in 1998, it was hailed as a "spectacular" addition to New York's post-industrial waterfront that "packed lots of variety into a confined space" via a creative mix of new piers and dead tech. The ensuing years have not been kind to the original park, which has suffered both from neglect and from lackluster new additions. The second stage of the park, which opened in 2009, expanded its total size to 12 acres, but presented a significantly less creative landscape, mirroring the generic glass-box condominiums that are being constructed around it as part of Queens West Stage II.

Gantry Plaza State Park's newer sections contain few unique elements. There is an informational plaque placed in a corner, a lone binocular station, a large empty lawn, and the ubiquitous waterfront esplanade, seemingly designed to keep the public as far from the water as possible. In this case, the esplanade is lined with a series of cookie-cutter benches that provide views across the East River to the United Nations. Instead of offering a new vision of how the city's waterfront could be engaged, these sections of the park feel like something from a corporate mall. The next stages of the park, which are currently being constructed to the north and south, do not appear to reveal any new ideas for this increasingly homogenized stretch of Long Island City waterfront.

(Click to enlarge)

The streets in this section of Long Island City are dominated by ceaseless construction.

This section of the esplanade features a utilitarian strip of benches, and trees with trunks wrapped in metal grates.

A randomly placed collection of unmovable concrete chess stumps sits near the park's iconic Pepsi-Cola sign.

A large, empty lawn dominates the center of this section of the park, which was designed by Abel Bainnson Butz, LLP.

Perhaps the most striking feature of this empty lawn is a large vent attached to an off-limits bunker built beneath the park.

The cove features a large mound of rocks, and is inaccessible to the public.

The unique first phase of the park, designed by Thomas Balsley Associates, has fallen on hard times.

The south end of the park will extend out towards yet another waterfront tower.

Nathan Kensinger]

Official site: Gantry Plaza State Park [NYSParks]
    Official site: Nathan Kensinger Photography [kensinger.blogspot.com]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...state_park.php

Forum Veteran

Spring Hill Residence & Inn at 41-19 21st St.

Architect: Raymond Chan Architect

"Long Island City Development" at Queens Plaza South

Architect: Raymond Chan Architect
    15 floors, mixed use

Random Personality

Nice finds. I wonder where the second one is located at? The first one seems to be about a block north of Queens Plaza.

The other one is likely to be right on the el. There are a number of sites along the tracks there ripe to be redone. There's one too many holes in the ground on the north side as well, unfortunately.

The LIC waterfront towers are all 'background' buildings: anxiously awaiting an 'architecturally interesting' building that they can help to showcase - a Zaha Hadid would go quite well in the center of all that architectural mediocrity.

That iconic building will not be coming this Christmas, that is for sure. We shall await our architectural Messiah in Long Island City. (LOL)
    Last edited by infoshare; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Just out of curiosity, do you think the library will work as that anchor, or does it need to be something larger? I think the library design is iconic, but I don't know if it's big enough.

Some other questions I've always wondered about LIC... Would the Silvercup towers planned so many years ago have done the trick? Can you anchor buildings from only one direction? What happens when these rather plain towers extend from the 59th st bridge all the way to the williamsburg bridge as is the plan (incidentally, has anyone ever done a renderings with the planned 40 story towers that extend the entire way bridge to bridge?). For that matter, what does a 3 mile line of new 40 story towers look like anyway?

Back to more current LIC events, though, there is a ton of stuff going on over there, I believe the tower on the east side of 5th st behind all these towers is U/C. I know the last building of the powerhouse complex is well along. I need to find a day with nice weather (not today, that's for sure), and go check things out.

yes, too small and looks totally insignificant among all those tall residential towers. I am currently working on the top floor of the 'city lights' of the Queens west towers and have been viewing that site frequently. That area need something truly iconic - but thar library build does not make the cut

My wife and I nearly bought one of those penthouses actually. The building is interesting. It's modern, and only what, 15 years old? But it has a ton of 1980s touches. Popcorn ceilings. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    It's modern, and only what, 15 years old? But it has a ton of 1980s touches. Popcorn ceilings. Ugh.
    Yes, exactly 15 years old and showing wear well beyond its years. The popcorn ceilings not only look awful, funny you should mention it, they are crating a bit of a problem for me installing ceiling mounted 'valances' along those long window runs.

That building has been poorly constructed with a lot of shoddy 'short-cut' work done everywhere: particularly on the curtain wall/window frames - tones of caulking has been used to mask the poorly fitting mullions.

Also, there has been several 'flooding' problems over the years in the basement and ground level apartments; all said and done, I am glad you did not purchase a unit in that building.

PS, if you want a real laugh (or perhaps cry) go to the resident forums for the building and read about some of the corrupt/incompetent coop boards they have endured over the past 15 years - look for the Queens West Website, the whole drama is posted on the public access forums.

Enjoy the read. Cheers
    Last edited by infoshare; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Whoops!

I guess Rockrose was working in the final tower until this afternoon...

From Gothamist (http://gothamist.com/2013/01/09/brea...er_crane.php):

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Yes, exactly 15 years old and showing wear well beyond its years. The popcorn ceilings not only look awful, funny you should mention it, they are crating a bit of a problem for me installing ceiling mounted 'valances' along those long window runs.

That building has been poorly constructed with a lot of shoddy 'short-cut' work done everywhere: particularly on the curtain wall/window frames - tones of caulking has been used to mask the poorly fitting mullions.

Also, there has been several 'flooding' problems over the years in the basement and ground level apartments; all said and done, I am glad you did not purchase a unit in that building.

PS, if you want a real laugh (or perhaps cry) go to the resident forums for the building and read about some of the corrupt/incompetent coop boards they have endured over the past 15 years - look for the Queens West Website, the whole drama is posted on the public access forums.

Enjoy the read. Cheers
    Unclear to me if you've actually lived at Citylights, or are just spreading observation. Whatever the case, I lived there for several years awhile back before Hunters Point turned into Murray Hill. It was a great building to live in, and a stratospheric investment.

michael.2999.pics

At least our expectations were always low for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East Coast 7  Rockrose Arquitectonica.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	16809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East Coast 29  Rockrose Arquitectonica.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	16810