Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Yankee Stadium - by HOK Sport

YESTERYANKS

By TODD VENEZIA and ANGELINA CAPPIELLO

July 31, 2004 -- Plans for a new Yankee Stadium call for a blast from the pinstripe past — which will be designed by an architectural firm responsible for most of the notable parks of the major leagues' present.

Sources familiar with the deal said the proposed new field will have an exterior virtually identical to the original 1920s "House that Ruth Built" — and will reportedly carry a $750 million price tag.

"It will be more like the place where Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio played than it is today," said a team source yesterday.

The plans for the new field — which have been shown to select city politicians and not revealed publicly — have been put together by the Kansas City-based architecture firm of Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum.

The firm is responsible for more than half a dozen of the most popular and critically acclaimed ballparks, such as Denver's Coors' Field, San Francisco's SBC Park and Baltimore's Camden Yards.

Most of their signature fields have earned a reputation for being intimate throwbacks to baseball's golden era, which eschew the grand impersonality of the massive multipurpose stadiums built in the 1960s and 1970s.

A new Yankee Stadium would also be a throwback — at least on the outside — on the same grand scale the Bombers originally created when they opened the first baseball field called a "stadium" in 1923.

No word yet if there will be a replication of the original interior façade ringing the upper deck or of the old outfield dimensions — which put the wall a whopping 460 feet from home plate. But according to reports, one thing is sure: the new stadium will increase the number of luxury skyboxes to 50.

The Yankees will reportedly put up the $750 million in construction costs themselves — which is a marked departure from earlier plans that called for a domed stadium funded partly by taxpayers.

The team will, however, ask for $450 million in public money to improve transportation and put up a hotel and conference center nearby.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Forum Veteran

I thought that HOK was in Saint Louis.

Damn Met Fans... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    "Baseball stadiums are different," he said, noting that the proposed Jets stadium, with its retractable roof, could double as part of an expanded convention center. "They are open stadiums and so they can't be used in the winter. And in the summer when you would like to use them for a concert … there is either a baseball game there or you can't tear up the field."
    The NERVE!!!

I mean, you can't use it in the winter, and in the Summer, when you want to use it, IT'S BEING USED ALL THE TIME!!!!

I mean, you cant build a stadium like that and have it USED!!!!

As for the crowding, take a look at the way it is now. You put a second stadium near it and it is going to resemble some sort of super-mall or something.

As for the condo development around teh stadium... I have not been too impressed with that whole area around there. Take a look for yourself (drive around it for a bit). You wuold have to build quite a bit out frmo the stadium to be able to build a "neighborhood" that would be worth something...

As for the crowding, take a look at the way it is now. You put a second stadium near it and it is going to resemble some sort of super-mall or something.
    What are you talking about? There aren't even any plans yet for the existing stadium.

The mayor is doing a bit of Jets Stadium face-saving, since it compares unfavorably with a stadium that draws record crowds 7 months of the year, and will pay for itself.

I have been going to that neighborhood for a lifetime, and it's fine. And even if it wasn't, accepting that it can't change with a little effort is very short-term thinking.

I am referencing the ariel photos of the stadium and the nearby park.

It does not look like they have a lot of space to play with here Zip. Placing a similarly sized structure in there would not leave too much space between the buildings. We are not talking the Meadowlands here! (Meadow, more like SWAMP!!!).

Anyway. I am not 100% against this. Not at all. But I don't know how realistic it is to propose a second full sized baseball stadium THAT close to the existing stadium.

Are there ANY examples of something similar anywhere in the world?

How do your comments apply to the aerial view, Ninjahedge? You just suggested that you're not a fan of the neighborhood and people should drive around to get a feel for your distaste. You can't do that in a picture.

I think if you're going to get a feel for the neighborhood, you're far better off walking around than driving around.

The Grand Concourse has many beautiful buildings, but there's really not much of a point in building co-ops or condos in the location of the current stadium. No one wants to purchase next to elevated subway tracks.

September 5, 2004
    Early Reaction Is Positive on a New Yankee Stadium
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI

he New York Yankees' plan for a new $750 million, open-air stadium in the Bronx, which they hope to announce publicly at the end of the month, is winning generally positive reviews so far in meetings with elected officials and city agencies.

Under the proposal, the team would build a 51,000-seat stadium with 50 to 75 luxury boxes designed by Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum to evoke the original 1923 stadium, not the renovated version that exists today. The stadium would go up in Macombs Dam Park, across 161st Street from the team's current home in the Bronx.

City officials and others who have talked to the Yankees say the team has devised a plan to replace the 16.7 acres of parkland as well as four community ball fields, a soccer field, a running track and the tennis and handball courts that would be eliminated by the project. The historic baseball field would remain for use by local teams, but part, if not all, of the existing stadium may be demolished, officials said.

The stadium proposal would dovetail with a broader plan by Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión Jr. for the redevelopment of the entire neighborhood, including a rejuvenation of the 161st Street corridor, as well as construction of a hotel and conference center near the stadium.

"It looks fabulous," said Public Advocate Betsy Gotbaum, who met with team executives a week ago and who has seen the renderings. "At first glance, it's almost too good to be true."

City Councilman José M. Serrano, whose district includes the area around the stadium, said the Yankees "deserve a new stadium." At the same time, he said, it was important that the team become more involved with the community and athletic programs in the South Bronx.

"I think it's important to make sure they do the right thing as far as the neighborhood is concerned," Mr. Serrano said.

The president of the Yankees, Randy Levine, would not provide renderings of the stadium or many details of the project because they remain a work in progress. "We are actively planning the new stadium," Mr. Levine said. "We've been getting input because it's very important that this be a consensus plan. We hope to present a final plan in the next several weeks."

But with Mr. Levine meeting with City Planning, the Parks Department and elected officials in the Bronx, a picture of the Yankees' proposal is emerging, and it is not sparking the same kind of controversy as the proposals for a $1.4 billion stadium for the Jets in Manhattan and a $435 million arena for the Nets in Brooklyn.

The latest proposal represents a remarkable turnaround from the early 1990's, when the Yankees' principal owner, George M. Steinbrenner, threatened to move to New Jersey if the city refused to build a new stadium in Manhattan. He routinely complained that crime, grime and an antiquated stadium kept annual attendance at home games well below two million.

But this year, attendance may top four million, and the Yankees say they will pay the $700 million to $750 million cost of a new stadium if the city issues tax-free bonds for the project. But the team is asking state and city officials for an additional $100 million and $300 million in infrastructure work, including four to six parking garages, a Metro-North rail station, roads and sewers.

One of the most pressing issues, however, is that the stadium project would require taking nearly half of the 28.4 acres in Macombs Dam Park, the site of four hardscrabble ball fields, a running track and a soccer field. In addition, the project would need 2.9 more acres, just to the north of Macombs Dam, in John Mullaly Park, which would eliminate 16 tennis courts and eight handball courts.

Officials say the Yankees have identified city-owned land nearby, including a parcel west of the stadium near the Harlem River, where even more ball fields, a track, a soccer field and basketball courts could be built. At a recent meeting with the team, the Parks Department suggested that some tennis and basketball courts could be built atop a series of three-story parking garages that would be part of the project. Under the team's proposal, the city would build the new parks at an estimated cost of $50 million, with the team providing an annual comprehensive maintenance fund.

The demolition of the old stadium would cost up to $25 million, although some city officials have suggested that the stadium structure could be spared and used for city offices and storage.

According to elected officials, the Yankees intend to ask the state at a meeting later this month to build a series of parking garages on existing lots that would bring the total number of parking spaces in the area to 13,000 from about 7,000, at an estimated cost of $150 million. The team has told officials that the garages could easily generate enough revenue from fans and commuters to justify the cost.

City Council Speaker Gifford Miller, who visited Yankee Stadium last Wednesday for a briefing on the project, said he thought the team was "moving in the right direction."

"As a lifelong Yankees fan, it's a priority for the speaker to keep the team in the Bronx," said Steve Sigmund, a spokesman for Mr. Miller. "Now he'd like to see the team commit fully to park and community development in the area."

Mr. Carrión, the Bronx borough president, said his master plan for the neighborhood, which he expects to unveil later this month, would include a new stadium, but would differ with the Yankees' proposal in some other ways, primarily relating to parkland location and design.

"This is not simply about a stadium," Mr. Carrión said. "Everyone has to understand that, especially the Yankees. This is about building a center of gravity for sports, tourism, conferences and conventions."

Damn Met Fans... Wink
    I’ve read the Mets are interested in following a similar path in getting a publicly financed stadium although their plans have not yet been announced.

Forum Veteran

I think the Mets need a new stadium more than the Yankees do. Shea is a worthless waste of space and a weight on what should be a great experience.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Damn Met Fans... Wink
    I’ve read the Mets are interested in following a similar path in getting a publicly financed stadium although their plans have not yet been announced.
    I'm sure they will. Tons more revenue, tax-free construction bonds, and they get to take it all off the luxury tax. Seems like a no-brainer.

I think there are plans to really, finally, connect Shea with downtown Flushing. This would be huge.

I'm a mets fan, yet I've actually found a place in my heart for Yankees Stadium. As a baseball fan I can't imagine what place has had more historical feats witnessed than Yankees Stadium. I'm on both sides though. A new Yankee Stdium might be nice, but the old one is the 'house that Ruth built.'

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    I think the Mets need a new stadium more than the Yankees do. Shea is a worthless waste of space and a weight on what should be a great experience.
    I agree with that, yet the Mets front office is so scared of spending big bucks. Just look at the players they have on the feild... :x

I agree with that, yet the Mets front office is so scared of spending big bucks. Just look at the players they have on the feild... Mad
    Yeah, Im not so sure the Mets even deserve a new stadium...

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast