Thread: Better to visit in October or November?

Default Better to visit in October or November?

I'm coming to the city to visit a few sites, check out some colleges, and hang out with some friends at some point this fall.

I haven't actually decided when Im visiting though. I was going to aim for early November, but I want to know.....what time from mid October to the end of November would be best to visit the city? When will Central Park being in full autumn mode? When will the city seem the least hectic? (As in not having crazy events like the Republican convention coming up.) When generally would my visit end up being the best?

I'd recommend coming as early in October as you can. Early fall is my favorite season in Manhattan. Foliage is at its best then, the City isn't very hectic (in New York terms), and the later you wait, the colder it will be. Snow is not unheard of in November.

The only really hectic weekend would be Thanksgiving, though you might enjoy the Macy's Parade.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage
    I'd recommend coming as early in October as you can. Early fall is my favorite season in Manhattan. Foliage is at its best then, the City isn't very hectic (in New York terms), and the later you wait, the colder it will be. Snow is not unheard of in November.

The only really hectic weekend would be Thanksgiving, though you might enjoy the Macy's Parade.
    Agreed. Either this time, late Sept. or around Christmas time.

Peak color last year was in early-mid November, which was later than usual: http://www.empire.state.ny.us/tourism/foliage/

Peak time is usually around the last week in October, though it's hard to go wrong for a visit any time in September or October. I'd pick the third week in October.

NYC foliage: http://www.digitalcity.com/newyork/fallfoliage/

hopefully there will still be some leaves on the trees in late November!!

Will the trees still be in full autumn mode for the most part during the first week of November?

It looks most likely that'll be the week that it'd be best for me to visit.

Yes, as the link I provided indicates, there's usually nice foliage that week. It's not a guarantee, peak foliage might also occur a couple weeks earlier.

If you're still around you can watch the marathon on November 7.

Last year, first week in November:

If you can't do the week after Christmas, early October or late September is the play. For some reason the third week of September is always glorious.

I visited the city in mid october and it was wonderful! Not one clound, no haze at all and the temperature was about 60. Just the boat tour around manhattan was a bit chilly.

The other time was the week after christmas in 2000. We had a blizzard and I can still see those mases of snow on the streets, but it was fun anyway.

Patrick