Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 Park Avenue South - by Christian de Portzamparc

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I am ELATED to announce that the junky "art gallery" located in 398 Park Ave. So. has a sign in the window stating that it's liquidating because it lost its lease!!! The proposed tower is magnificent, and the current building and parking lot are P's O S! Hopefully, demolition will start soon!
    An Application for site work at 400 Park Avenue South was APPROVED in July 2005 ...

06/23/2005 104146381 01 A2 OSP R PERMIT-ENTIRE 07/07/2005 FRIZZI SILBER
    DRILL TEST PIT ON SITE FOR FUTURE NEW BUILDING. NO CHANGE IN USE EGRESS OR

No new action on the "New Building" permits here since December 2005 ...

12/01/2005 104292882 01 NB SUB J P/E DISAPPROVED 12/16/2005 MIDDLETO SILBER

12/01/2005 104292882 02 NB SUB J P/E DISAPPROVED 12/16/2005 MASS SILBER

12/01/2005 104292882 03 NB SUB J P/E DISAPPROVED 12/16/2005 HAYDA SILBER

http://www.lexpress.fr/mag/arts/doss...asp?ida=456350

In that interview, Portzamparc says the project was approved, construction is going to begin and community input was very positive.

Also, he is working on a high-density program for a site near the Hudson (probably that of the canceled Jets Stadium), featuring residences, a hotel, a school, retail and movie theaters centered around a tower. He mentions a project in the "River Side" neighborhood where, to double square footage, the program will be structured around gardens and services.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

... Portzamparc ... is working on a high-density program for a site near the Hudson (probably that of the canceled Jets Stadium), featuring residences, a hotel, a school, retail and movie theaters centered around a tower. He mentions a project in the "River Side" neighborhood where, to double square footage, the program will be structured around gardens and services.
    According to NY Observer it's the remaining sites at Riverside South ...

Riverside South Goes French

After years in which one architect--Costas Kondylis--has dominated the 13-block-long Riverside South development, the new kid in town, Gary Barnett (Extell Development), has commissioned the Pritzker Prize-winning French architect Christian de Portzamparc to design the next three buildings, according to George Arzt, a spokesman for the developer.

Monsieur de Portzamparc's Web site says the program consists of three buildings with 3.2 million square feet of office, hotel and residential space between 59th Street and 61st Street. Well, that's the proposal. Mr. Arzt says a rezoning proposal will go to the Department of City Planning in a few weeks--and it doesn't sound like it will be the easiest rezoning.

According to figures from the Coalition for a Livable West Side, that amount would represent about 35 percent more built space than that envisioned under the original Riverside South master plan.

- Matthew Schuerman

http://www.lexpress.fr/mag/arts/doss...asp?ida=456350

In that interview, Portzamparc says the project was approved, construction is going to begin and community input was very positive.

Also, he is working on a high-density program for a site near the Hudson (probably that of the canceled Jets Stadium), featuring residences, a hotel, a school, retail and movie theaters centered around a tower. He mentions a project in the "River Side" neighborhood where, to double square footage, the program will be structured around gardens and services.

This is awesome news. The owner of the horrific "gallery" located in 398 PAS informed me on Mar. 15, 2007 that his store will close on Wed. Hopefully, this project will occur soon.

The news re: Riverside South is great too. Presumably, however, the jerks on the UWS will protest the new towers which seem huge for residentials. They should have protested the pillaging on the beautiful building on 72nd and B'way instead.

Banned Member

Is it my lousy eyes or has the design changed from the initial renderings? I don't recall that stepped set back on the PAS side.

Great news, it's an interesting design.
    Also great news for Riverside! Hopefully Portzamparc will show Costas K how it should be done!! Riverside may get a reprieve from all those 2-tower clones that are lined up one after another.

It would be AWESOME if Extell hires Portzamparc for his two sites on 57th Street. I googled that and the CV of Renaud Magnaval, an architect who works for Portzamparc, came up. It indicates that he participated in design work in 2006 on two towers: one 57th Street which was about 815 feet and one on 58th which was about 937 feet. Either of these could be the Extell sites, both of which run through the block from 57th to 58th.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; March 15th, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Is it my lousy eyes or has the design changed from the initial renderings? I don't recall that stepped set back on the PAS side.
    Nah, it's always been there. It's just that with the floor lines visible your eyes are drawn away from the crystalline top.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    It would be AWESOME if Extell hires Portzamparc for his two sites on 57th Street. I googled that and the CV of Renaud Magnaval, an architect who works for Portzamparc, came up. It indicates that he participated in design work in 2006 on two towers: one 57th Street which was about 815 feet and one on 58th which was about 937 feet. Either of these could be the Extell sites, both of which run through the block from 57th to 58th.
    Look for the Coalition For a Livable West Side to try their darndest to snuff these out.

Cut them in half and make them contextual!!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Look for the Coalition For a Livable West Side to try their darndest to snuff these out.

I think that the 57th Street towers will be pretty tall, but I agree with you re: plans for tall, grandiose towers for Riverside South. We will wind up with a eunich, Con Ed site on the west side.

NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Funny, they already mailed me the posting on the new changes. The mobilization begins!

This project has got me excited for the longest time. Finally a sign of good things to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Funny, they already mailed me the posting on the new changes. The mobilization begins!
    What's the tone of the opposition? Sharing is good

These jerks on the UWS should be proactive in preventing the loss of landmarks and should let Extell build these towers. De Portzamparc is one of the best architechts in the world. Have you seen the proposals on his website for various skyscraper projects? They are among the best buildings I have ever seen! His proposal for the Hearst Tower was way better than Fosters.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast