Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: 325 Fifth Avenue - New 40 Story Condo - by Stephen B. Jacobs Group

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Fire stairs. Code won't let you put in windows.
    Yet Trump World Towers for example, found a solution without the need for a blank wall. How?

Petey, this is not the only building with a blank wall that can be seen while walking down Fifth. There are at least two more commercial buildings further uptown also with the same thing, one of which I know is 505 Fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Yet Trump World Towers for example, found a solution without the need for a blank wall. How?
    Possibly covered it with glass functioning as stucco, which would make it visible at night as a blank area.

Or the stairs are interior with a fire-rated tunnel at grade that leads directly to the outdoors.

Last edited by Derek2k3; January 7th, 2007 at 01:04 AM.

325 will be getting a new friend soon at 309 Fifth. It's the building behind the yellow union rat.

Last edited by Derek2k3; January 7th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.

I applaud them on how they've done the base.

Only a small section is devoted to the entrance and lobby (underneath the canopy) while the rest is reserved for retail tenants. Good job.

*yawn*

(nice pics, Derek)

There's also an article earlier in the thread saying how the developer demanded high-end, unique retail. They rejected 7-11 which tried to grab a spot.

And that new building (309) looks like a fraternal twin of this one. While this building turned out better than I thought it would, it's still not even close to being a Meier, it's just trying too hard. 309 looks like it handles the balconies in a much better way.

Amazing to me that the cooling towers on the roof are left out for all to see like some ratty tool shed ...

Why aren't cooling towers & some welcome camouflage incorporated into the design in new buildings -- and when cooling towers are plopped down on top of existing buildings?

What's with these rooftop overhangs?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Amazing to me that the cooling towers on the roof are left out for all to see like some ratty tool shed ...

Why aren't cooling towers & some welcome camouflage incorporated into the design in new buildings -- and when cooling towers are plopped down on top of existing buildings?
    No new tower does this more egregiously than the J condo in Brooklyn...

What the hell are these guys doing???? From the renderings- and now the finished product- it looks that they are going to showcase that water tower on a pedestal as if it were some idol to workshop. Why would you showcase a water tower like that?? It just plain looks bad, bad, bad.
    Cover that S--- up will ya!

^^^ Looks like they ran out of money as they got higher and higher on the building. The penthouses are less glass than the lower floors?? Cement combined with floor to ceiling windows just looks stupid in my opinion. Either do all glass or pick a more classic window style. I am a little bias as I bought here, but I gotta say "The Link" did a nice job hiding the mechanicals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	3314  

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    Why would you showcase a water tower like that?? It just plain looks bad, bad, bad.
    Cover that S--- up will ya!
    Lofter was complaining about exposed rooftop cooling towers, not water tanks, which are among the City's greatest glories.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6957

Too often these days, it's what's below the water tank that needs camouflaging.

Me likes the water towers -- the corregated sheds beneath are nearly as bad as exposed cooling towers and other mechanicals

Wow some awesome shots Derek2k3! You sure got that tower cover pretty well I must say. I still have mix feelings about this tower. Maybe the new one that will go up close to this one will be a nice thing. Right now this one still sort of looks out of place for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

Well, if you think 325's is bad (which I think is really a non-issue because it's so high up) then the NY Times' is even worst:

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast