Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 325 Fifth Avenue - New 40 Story Condo - by Stephen B. Jacobs Group

It's better than what Macklowe is building on one of the most expensive and prominent sites in the world, 57th and Park.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The retail tenants have all moved in...

The public garden area behind the building came out BEAUTIFUL. I wish I had a camera with me last nite when I passed by. It really looks first class.

any night photos? honestly this building doesn't look that bad.. i just stands out a lot.

Had they chose a better color and done something different on the crown, it would have been a lot more tolerable. Check out the garden out back when you walk by, I believe on 33rd St. They were not cheap about it at all.

love that andy dick ^

325 definitely looks best (a) in shadow and (b) against a blue sky

^^If only that were its true color it would fit into this area so much better!

Nice shot.

The public plaza is still not open nearly 2 years after the building is done.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This tower is confused with its own identity. It belongs on Second Ave, not Fifth.

By the way, it's hard to believe a normal-sized, non-anorexic adult can slide their legs between that wooden table and benches.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    ... It belongs on Second Ave, not Fifth.
    so true

The plaza seating is great. Very modern. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    so true
    I'd say it'll make a perfect neighbor on West 42nd street.

Views are killer at luxury midtown building, but so is falling glass

http://www.nydailynews.com/real_esta...#ixzz0PqyXpcMe

BY Kerry Burke, Jason Sheftell and Samuel Goldsmith
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Tuesday, September 1st 2009, 4:00 AM

Mesh netting and plywood cover balconies on deluxe Fifth Ave. high-rise Monday after glass panes have dislodged from building (below). The sheets fall whole, but break as they hit building or ground.

They paid as much as $3 million for their fancy midtown condos - but the Buildings Department has barred them from stepping out onto their balconies.

The reason? Huge glass panels are falling from the luxurious, 42-floor tower, city officials said.

The balconies at 325 Fifth Ave., between 32nd and 33rd Sts., are now wrapped with unsightly protective mesh and fortified with plywood after glass started falling last month.

Scaffolding was erected over the sidewalk to protect pedestrians after the Department of Buildings banned residents from using the balconies, whose glass panes have dislodged.

"If I had known of any troubles, I wouldn't have even looked at an apartment here," said one worried resident. "It's expensive, but it's not safe."

"People pay a great deal of money and we pay for the views," said another cranky resident.

"It's very frustrating. I like our balcony and I would like to sit on it."

Witnesses say the glass sheets fall whole, but break as they hit the side of the building on the way down to the street.

"It was a big piece, but by the time it came down it was little pieces," said Muhammad Ashsaq, 28, who runs a souvenir store next-door to the building.

"People were running. I was scared. Two people were hit and they ran into the building. The police came and shut down the whole street," Ashsaq said.

A spokesman for the building's construction manager, Levine Builders, said 325 Fifth Ave. has a total of 1,300 glass balcony panels and only one has broken.

"As a precautionary measure mandated by the Department of Buildings, all 1,300 glass panels have been wrapped in protective mesh to insure public safety while the cause of the breakage is determined," the spokesman said in a statement.

But the Department of Buildings has issued several stop work and partial vacate orders to the condo, including one last November. The citation from last year reads, "Glass panels at rear balconies are defective and falling into rear yard."

The 250-unit building boasts amenities such as a fitness center, pool, spa, lounge, screening room, business center and children's playroom.

Every unit was reportedly sold prior to its opening in 2006.

sgoldsmith@nydailynews.com

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213