Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 325 Fifth Avenue - New 40 Story Condo - by Stephen B. Jacobs Group

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTowers
    this building would look better in Miami than manhattan.....
    Miami is exactly what this building feels like.

I walked by this site yesterday and IMO the saving grace is that the two small buildings on the corners remain, thus grounding this building into the existing neighborhood.

I see that there is a "plaza" of sorts on 33rd St. where the entrance to the underground parking will be. Unfortunately this area will be in full shade most of the time due to the size of 325 and most likely it will become another dead zone, similar to the plazas included in the new buildings along 6th Avenue in the 20s.

And who wants to walk by or live next to a parking entrance... more traffic, noise and filth...a dead zone indeed. NYC ´s greatest luxury apartment houses were built with out parking and tenants did fine with out it. Should be out-lawed.

I should probably start a new thread, but how many people who post here have cars? I think they should be highly restricted in Manhattan, even for residents.

I could be wrong but I heard that there was a law that for every new building with 'X' number of apartments that a number of parking spaces must be built.

I never saw this in writing but I heard it from 2 people so far.

Anybody can back this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Brooklyn Rider I think. But he isnt in Manhattan.
    Then he's allowed...

We have a car - which is used only sporadically. Having a parking garage in my building would be a nice convenience for us even though we don't use it often. In fact the garage I park in is in the basement of a large residential building. Regardless, it's not a big deal either way.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Brooklyn Rider I think. But he isnt in Manhattan.
    It's a company car and desipite trying to negotiate it away in lieu of compensation - it was a forced benefit. It is fun on the 6 or 7 weekends I use it to go away, but it is a bigger hassle than benefit. During winter months I store it with family on Long Island.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I went by this building today. It's going up fast, but the footprint for the tower is actually quite small. I was thinking that it would go back further into the lot but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    I see that there is a "plaza" of sorts on 33rd St. where the entrance to the underground parking will be. Unfortunately this area will be in full shade most of the time due to the size of 325 and most likely it will become another dead zone, similar to the plazas included in the new buildings along 6th Avenue in the 20s.
    Even more bizarre is that this section of 33rd street can be reached in exactly two ways: Park Ave (going south only!) from uptown and Madison Ave from downtown. 33rd goes west and is blocked in the middle of Park by the tunnel entrance/exit. Those coming from east of Park on 33rd have to turn right. Urban planning at its best.

Default An Example of Poorly Developed New Buildings in NYC

Can anyone explain to me a few points about 325? Are they required by law to give up a certain amount of land to open space when they exceed a certain height? Is that why this "dead space" has been created? I agree with everyone else here that it is a big waste.

Also, why would they have stepped the building back after just 2 stories on fifth? Is that regulation as well?

I think the grid system is one of New York's greatest beauties and when you start breaking it up with open spaces and towers that aren't flush to each other (at least to a certain degree, I'm not looking for all square box construction) it makes the city start looking like a mess. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, take a walk on the far east side in midtown and you'll see that it looks ugly and loses the feel that most of the rest of New York has. Anyone agree?

Banned Member

Well, 6th Ave from 42nd Street up to 57th Street is another example of getting it wrong.

And check out 6th Ave. between 23rd / 28th:

The new Chelsea-area towers going up there have lots of the little dead plazas off the Avenue ... and after just a couple of years the plantings are already dead, the tiny "commercial" sheds are empty and huge expanses of newly-exposed brick walls loom overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDOC
    Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, take a walk on the far east side in midtown and you'll see that it looks ugly and loses the feel that most of the rest of New York has. Anyone agree?
    Where in Midtown East are you referring to?

I think there are several examples, but just to focus on the area that I am in most of the time - 23rd and 34th, 2nd avenue and East of there. The Kips Bay Towers are a prime example of the garbage in that area.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast