Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 325 Fifth Avenue - New 40 Story Condo - by Stephen B. Jacobs Group

Banned Member

It's a throwaway building in terms of skyline effect. Friar's Tower has much more of a skyline impact on West 31st Street.

This building is a disgrace. Look at that blank wall! And the ugly gimmick on top doesn't relate to anything in the rest of the design. Buildings like this are an argument for righteous vandalism.

^ I agree. I don't like it at all... and is disgraceful to have it across from an Icon (ESB).

a 50 story NEW KID IN TOWN !!

This should be dismantled and shipped to an avenue less dignified than Fifth where it surely belongs.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy

And the ugly gimmick on top doesn't relate to anything in the rest of the design.
    I keep hoping that's just the frame for something better -

Notice how the photo op is forever gone....that wonderful NY "Gotham" view destroyed. Gotham with a touch of Venice. This stretch of 5th was wonderfully intact ...with materials, color, and common design elements, binding the buildings together.

If something new had to go here, it should not have been anything less than great.

I don´t remember what was on this spot. Perhaps it was one of those 2-story "crap" buildings. Better to replace a little turd with this load of shit?

Of course the owners of the apartments....and the sales brochure.. will be raving about the view....in the meantime, ours is ruined.

Who´s selfish?
    Last edited by Fabrizio; June 16th, 2006 at 07:48 AM.

The Dude Abides

This tower didn't come out nearly as well as I thought and hoped it would. It reminds me of 2 Gold Street (ugh).

The glass is dull but it is flat. I have a neutral opinion of this building. The design is crap but it seems sturdy and well-built. I hoped for better, but I know it could have been a lot worse.

Default wonder if won appreciation is spurring Koreatown investment?

A lot has been written about Tower 31 and 325 Fifth being near the ESB and the advantages of that. However, the WSJ had an article today about Korean foreign investors taking advantage of newly relaxed Korean foreign investment policy to invest in real estate in the US, particularly singling out the new One Hudson Park in Edgewater as attracting investment from Korean investors [not Korean American but Korean foreign nationals hedging currency risks].

Given their proximity to Manhattan's Koreatown, I would think this trend could benefit 325 Fifth as well as stimulate more construction in the ESB area. Any thoughts or info - is the building being marketed in Korea, etc?

WSJ article here:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1152...N=wsjie/6month

Two things I hate about this building:

1) North side left as plain ugly cement wall since they couldnt secure the air rights, even though this little building will probably never go much higher. They could of at least covered with glass and complete the buildings look. Cheap asses.

2) That retarded looking sculpture on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    2) That retarded looking sculpture on the top.
    Sculpture? I wouldn't even give it the satisfaction of letting it be called that. How about a deformity? It's what you'd expect in Miami, not 5th Ave.

I don't understand how there is no oversight over what is built in this city! This building is disgraceful.

While I would like to blame the developers it is really the city government's fault. Companies have to make profits and unless there are some regulations people will keep putting up garbage to increase their bottom line. In a way, it is like blaming Walmart for outsourcing jobs to China. If they didn't then they will go out of buisness b/c someone else would undersell them. But if the federal goverment woke up and actually regulated trade a little we would get a better result.

Same thing here. If the city actually put some oversight into effect we would be getting better buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDOC
    I don't understand how there is no oversight over what is built in this city! This building is disgraceful.

While I would like to blame the developers it is really the city government's fault.

If the city actually put some oversight into effect we would be getting better buildings!
    I think it was Czsz who suggested that all of Manhattan could be designated a historic district. Then there would be aesthetic oversight of every new building. Of course, with the present crew of Bozos at Landmarks...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast