Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey keeps its light-rail rolling

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Smile

Makes perfect sense to me!

Maybe SI and NJ Transit should look at a joint venture to run the light-rail over a bridge and continue into SI.
    The Bayonne Bridge was built with supports on the outside of the roadway to support streetcars or today light rail.

This makes amazing sense. I can visit my friends in Staten Island without a taxi

Excerpt form Wikipedia on possible PATH extension to Newark Liberty.

Future Expansion
    "The Port Authority has allocated funds to conduct a feasibility study of extending PATH two miles (3.2 km) south of Newark Penn Station to Newark Liberty International Airport. If the project is deemed to be possible from an engineering, operational, and financial standpoint, the Port Authority would include funding for the project in its Capital Plan. The extension to Newark Airport is estimated to cost $500 million. Extensions of PATH to Newark Airport and Plainfield, New Jersey have been on the drawing board for years, but there has been no movement on either project."

Exclamation Mapquesting!

Here is a link to the map of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail System complete with PATH and ferry lines included as well as showing the future extension to 8th Street in Bayonne. Other than that, the map does not show any future extensions, I'm guessing they are still up in the air with on when and where they wil be extending: http://www.njtransit.com/images/hblr_06.gif

Why are the stops in Bayonne so far apart? It's light rail, for goodness sake; that used to be called a "streetcar." The advantage of that is frequent stops and shorter walks. A person going to Bayonne City Hall can't be blamed for not knowing which stop to use to minimize his in-either-case too-long walk.

It seems like the stars are aligning for HBLR service into SI. The Bayonne Bridge will need to be replaced in the next 15 years and that, along with the MTA/NJ agreement, will give it momentum. Yes, I know the old Bayonne Bridge has space for Light Rail, but there's no point if its going to be replaced in 15 years anyway. In the meantime, buses will have to do. That extra service will generate pressure from SI to extend HBLR into SI.

Speaking of all these agreements, it makes me sick, this pathetic, infantile NY/NJ rivalry. Can you imagine Maryland, DC, and Virginia squabbling over this crap? Seriously. Personally I think the entire tri-state transportation network should be rolled up into the Port Authority.

Regarding Northern Branch service: the best idea would be to run diesal trains ALL the way down Tonnelle Ave, with a transfer to the last HBLR stop, but also going down all the way to the Journal Square PATH station. The tracks apparently are there, would this be possible? That would make a one-transfer ride to Midown and Downtown very easy. Also, you would have train stops within walking distance of everyone in Hudson County, including those who don't live near the water. Speaking of which, some more PATH stations in NJ, as well as an extension of the uptown branch in New York would be helpful. Does anyone know if the 33rd street PATH stop is hemmed in, or could it extend to Times Square or Bryant Park and beyond, eliminating the need for transfer to the NYC Subway?

Actually, let me correct myself: you could run diseal trains down Tonnelle Avenue to the Marion (sp?) section of Jersey City, where the tracks curve into PATH. You could end the diseal service there and build a new PATH station at West Side Ave, just as the mayor wants. Easy transfer to Midtown and Downtown. Voila. Anyone see problems with this? I'm not sure of the status of the Tonnelle Ave right-of-way.

Last thought (promise): HBLR should clearly be extended to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, with a stop in Secaucus.

First the walking distances aren't bad at all. The part of the lines from Liberty State Park ot the West Side and from LSP to 8th street are the old Jersey Central Railroads right of ways and those stations are exactly where the old stations were. So you have to understand there were already old spaces from where the old stations and they didnt have too dig out rocks and stuff. The Westside line is cut through the Palisades similar to the PATH trains but in south Jersey City the Palisades aren't that high. Also the DMU's to JSQ are not fesiable because where it ends is at the Erie Railroad old right of way called the Bergen Arches. There are already possibilities to extend it from between Newport and Harsimus Cove lightrail stops up the Sixth Street Enbankment that the Erie railroad once used, through the Arches out to the Secaucus Junction. But that might not happen because a lot of people want the Sixth Street Embankment to be saved as our own "Highline" and become and elevated park going through Downtown Jersey City, and new parks are something we need. So I have no idea what is going to happen with that perseonally, I would like to see it truned into a park.

Debris clearly it should go out to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, umm I don't know going to West Side PATH station because it is not a direct route and there alot of old industrial buildings blocking the direct route and those buildings arebeing turned into condos and artist lofts.
    Last edited by JCMAN320; May 25th, 2006 at 05:02 PM.

I'm not talking about the Westside branch that already exists. If anything, that should be (in the far future, of course) run to Newark through the Ironbound and connected with the Newark City Subway.

I'm referring to the Northern Branch, where some Bergen politicans propose running trains from way up north in Bergen down to the Tonnelle Ave stop of the HBLR. I'm proposing that those trains continue down to PATH *from the north*, on a direct north-south route. Its indirect only in the sense that riders from Bergen would go all the way down to Jersey City just to transfer back to the Uptown branch of PATH. Is that what you meant?

Red face

Whoops, I missed the part about "DMUs", thanks for answering my question, JCMAN

Great newsletter showing us the Newark Subway Extension.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/sf_lr_NCS_Newsletter.pdf

Lightbulb In Case Anybody Is Interested...

Customer Notice
    Let’s Talk about the New Newark Light Rail…

Come talk to us in Newark during the month of June regarding the new stations and service opening on the Newark Light Rail. Customer forums will be held on:

Monday, June 12 at Newark Penn Station at the Newark Light Rail entrance (near McDonalds)
    Tuesday, June 13 at Newark Broad Street Station
    Wednesday, June 14 we will be at Newark Penn Station Bus Lanes (Raymond Blvd.)

From 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m.. to 7:00 p.m., each day.

Unhappy Hmm....

Apparently the First Section of the the proposed Newark Light Rail Link system, that would go from Penn Station to Newark Airport (Second Section) and then into Elizabeth (Third Section), will be the last link for a while. Apparently NJ Trasnit has taken those last 2 sections off its Candidate Project List. Although they are on the FY2007 Capital Project List.

THE Tunnel apparently is sucking in alot of money off other projects. Here are links to Wikipedia and NJ Transit Project list to show my point.

http://www.njtransit.com/an_cp_capit...projects.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark-Elizabeth_Rail_Link

So basically all we can hope for is for the PATH to be extended to EWR because right now that is the only thing that looks somewhat on the right track, no pun intended.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast