Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Times Square billboard

I'm not from NYC. Actually I'm far away from it. However, believe me that I do care about this place a lot. I ment that the problem is that kids are being exposed to such signs. I'm not shocked, I just thought that such signs might make the place less honorable and not fitting for children. But maybe I'm exaggerating, kids are being exposed to such stuff anyway from other resources. This picture is quite OK but I think that they might put other ones which might be misinterpreted by children.

Honestly, despite all of the attempts at Disneyfication, New York City isn't exactly a child-friendly place.

When I leave New York, I'm always surprised by the number of children in restaurants and such. You really don't see that so much here, minus places like Park Slope.

I think the advertisers are desperately trying to keep Times Square racier reputation alive although with crowd control and corporate architecture it's dying a rapid death. (one very very rarely sees anything unsalubrious within the area anymore). Also, American mass-media is so heavily censored that a bit of bare flesh really shocks. But that's another issue entirely....
    Here's a view of the same spot in the forties. Note the seven story tall naked woman......

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/MID-TimesSquare.htm

I didn't know that NY doesn't fit for children What is Disneyfication? Never heard about it. But yes - in its early days Times Square was really not a place for children as you can see in the picture at the top. But maybe you are right, it isn't a school or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Honestly, despite all of the attempts at Disneyfication, New York City isn't exactly a child-friendly place.

When I leave New York, I'm always surprised by the number of children in restaurants and such. You really don't see that so much here, minus places like Park Slope.
    I disagree. Yes, when you're touring the adult world, then NYC is not suited for kids. But there is even parts of Disneyworld that are not suited for kids. Overall, if you live in a good neighborhood and we're able to snag a good school, then this is the greatest place to rasie kids anywhere in the world. They have access to the entire world and they can still have some good ol fashioned fun. Times Sq has definetly become a "kid zone".

Default Times Square 07/01/05

AlexBallard, I was referring more to the day-to-day life of New Yorkers. Unlike most places in the country, New York City establishments don't cater to children.

I can't think of the last time I've seen a children's menu in a restaurant in the city, but that seems to be de rigeur everywhere else.

Forum Veteran

Why be shocked its NYC, plus Kimora is very beautiful

I admit I have a problem

While we're on billboards, the giant beer sign touts drunkenness, the Discover sign promotes credit card debt, and Cup of Noodles sure has a lot of empty calories. And don't get me started on ToysRUs. Parents, don't let your children into Times Square!

Josies on Amsterdam and 74th had kids in it I noticed. :? They were also being quite loud.

Default Toys R Us

The liquid screen exterior of Toys R Us was an amazing visual experience for me. I had no idea that a ferris wheel was inside until the outside animation disappeared and could see inside! WOW!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AmeriKenArtist; February 20th, 2005 at 11:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12