Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gowanus Hotel?

Banned Member

Default Gowanus Hotel?

I have a friend claiming that a 60 unit hotel is going up on Union Street, between 4th Ave and 3rd Ave, in Park Slope / Gowanus. Anyone aware of this?

Small hotel even for that area...

Forum Veteran

600 Union Street is "not in property file" according to the DOB but the page is still there, meaning the site will probably have a new address.

link

Forum Veteran

Default Re: Gowanus Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I have a friend claiming that a 60 unit hotel is going up on Union Street, between 4th Ave and 3rd Ave, in Park Slope / Gowanus. Anyone aware of this?
    I've heard something similar. Not sure, but the guy is a small time hotelier, with hotels in Queens, maybe. I wish I remember where I read it, but I did here the same location, though.

Forum Veteran

This is labeled "Union Ave" on Karl Fischer's site:

Forum Veteran

Bah. It's too easy to see what it would look like when it's finished, and I don't like the results.

Forum Veteran

Righto. Fischer is not the architect. I went to the site today and the address is 625 Union Street. Five floors of hotel designed by Peter F. Poon.

Forum Veteran

Now 8 floors and 116 rooms.

Thumbs down

I think we need a bigger thumb for this one...

According to the blog Lex's Folly it's going to be a Holiday Inn Express. More
    photos here:
    http://www.alexisrobie.com/archives/000177.html

Union St. Holiday Inn irks some neighbors

By Jotham Sederstrom
    The Brooklyn Papers

Homeowners in the Gowanus end of Park Slope are decrying new plans that will allow the borough’s first Holiday Inn hotel to rise on Union Street without issuing a single public notice.

At issue is the building’s size, which at eight stories is at least three to four stories taller than most of the surrounding residential and commercial buildings.

Planned two years ago as a pair of identical five-story hotel buildings, the project was consolidated last month into one eight-story structure between Third and Fourth avenues, both to allow for additional parking and to conform with design plans preferred by the InterContinental Hotels Group, which manages the chain and other hotel franchises.

But while the original project had never been welcomed with open arms, the new plan, say some residents, is even worse, thanks to the likelihood that the hotel will cast a shadow over the industrial-residential neighborhood.

“Everything’s like a Trojan horse these days,” griped Linda Mariano, who has lived on President Street near Hoyt Street since 1974. “You get so you’re afraid to go to sleep because you might wake up to who knows what.”

Mariano and others say they learned of the revised plans only after word had spread that construction was continuing past what was believed to be the hotel’s fifth-story plateau. As of press time, the building at 625 Union St. had escalated to seven stories despite an old permit on view at the site authorizing only five stories.

“People move to [the area] for a reason,” said Jay Tran, a musician who has lived in Gowanus for 20 years. “The whole look and the feel and being able to look up into the sky without seeing skyscrapers.

“But then people are given a chance to add to this aesthetic and sometimes they take advantage.”

Jennifer Givner, a spokeswoman for the Department of Buildings, said that the eight-story development is as of right under area zoning regulations and that neither the Queens-based hotel developer, Sam Chang, nor Holiday Inn were required to notify their new neighbors of their plans. Had a variance been required, the story might have been different, she said.

A Post Approval Amendment was successfully filed with the Buildings Department on Feb. 17, allowing Chang to revise his plans for the hotel, which he expects will welcome travelers as early as December.

A spokeswoman for Holiday Inn, however, put the date sometime in late 2006.

Craig Hammerman, district manager of Community Board 6, said that his office had received several inquiries about the project, but determined after an investigation that the board would not be involved because the plans did not require its approval. Nonetheless, said Hammerman, the issue reflects a problem affecting all of Brooklyn.

“What this underscores is the fact that projects like this can happen without any kind of public review or chance for the public to react,” he said. “The question, really, is whether laws need to be changed as far as what the community board [is responsible for].”

Chang, who owns three hotels near Kennedy Airport and several others in Manhattan, contends that the new design actually reduces the size of the hotel by 19,000 square feet. While the original plan had called for 125 rooms in two five-story buildings — at 628 Sackett St. and 625 Union St. — the new plan only calls for 110 rooms.

Mike Lee, the general contractor for the project, said that the plans were altered to conform to the typical Holiday Inn Express, which, unlike Holiday Inn, is not a full-service hotel. Initially, he said, building plans were drawn up with the intention of attracting a Comfort Inn hotel to the neighborhood.

Chang added that he would include residents in future developments or changes, as he said he routinely has done while building hotels in Times Square and TriBeCa, which he said he recently completed.

“There’s no hotel between Downtown Brooklyn and Bay Ridge,” said Chang, principal owner of McSam Hospitality LLC. “So, yes, we’re betting that this will be successful. But we also want to be good neighbors.”

Quote Originally Posted by muscle1313
    Union St. Holiday Inn irks some neighbors

By Jotham Sederstrom
    The Brooklyn Papers

At issue is the building’s size, which at eight stories is at least three to four stories taller than most of the surrounding residential and commercial buildings.

“There’s no hotel between Downtown Brooklyn and Bay Ridge,” said Chang,
    principal owner of McSam Hospitality LLC. “So, yes, we’re betting that this will be successful. But we also want to be good neighbors.”
    Acute businessman Chang is.

(first quite) I hate nimby's like this....you can't just live in the past, we are a developing city, quit trying to hold it back.

Forum Veteran

NIMBYism has a point when it's an ugly, ungainly box.

Definitely need more hotels in Brooklyn. 2.5 million people and about 4 or 5 hotels? Ludicrous. Comfort Inn is open on Emmons Ave and the Best Western is still yet to be built a few blocks away on Emmons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    NIMBYism has a point when it's an ugly, ungainly box.
    True, i didn't take that into consideration. This one is pretty ugly, but it blends in with the traditional brick buildings and settings of the neighborhood. But it's still a box

Quote Originally Posted by muscle1313
    Definitely need more hotels in Brooklyn. 2.5 million people and about 4 or 5 hotels? Ludicrous. Comfort Inn is open on Emmons Ave and the Best Western is still yet to be built a few blocks away on Emmons as well.

True, but i think that Brooklyn's population is more than 2.5 million...it's the most populated borough. But population doesn't have that much to do with the borough...more like the amount of tourist attractions. If Brooklyn were it's own city seperate from Manhattan and the other boroughs, then population would play a HUGE factor, but when most of the population works and "plays" in manhattan...thats where the "true city is at".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast