Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Worst Ghetto/Project

What a great shot of the west side. I shows how vastly underutilized Hell's Kitchen really is.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Here's another cluster that I would like to see go, the Amsterdam Houses (I believe that's the name), just to the west of Lincoln Center. You can see them in this photo, near the lower left hand quadrant.

this segues nicely...how hard is it to get a concealed weapons permit in New York (I believe the city has more stringent rules on weapons than the rest of the state, but so far my research concentrated on Jersey)

How does that segue at all?

Unless you're a cop, you're not getting any kind of concealed weapons permit.

well, say I happen to have to be in a ghetto/project late at night. What would one recommend to carry for protection, other than any kind of firearm?

[Rant]Of course, criminals will not carry any guns because they are law obeying citizens [/Rant]

Why would you want to be in a ghetto/project late at night unless you live there?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKruger View Post
    well, say I happen to have to be in a ghetto/project late at night. What would one recommend to carry for protection, other than any kind of firearm?

[Rant]Of course, criminals will not carry any guns because they are law obeying citizens [/Rant]
    Unassuming clothing and poise.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    How does that segue at all?

Unless you're a cop, you're not getting any kind of concealed weapons permit.

Not true. The NYPD will give them to persons whose job requires them to be in dangerous situations. For example, most of the merchants in the Diamond District, who regularly walk about with tens of thousands of dollars worth of diamonds, have one. That being said, it is a lengthy, burdensome process, involving rigorous background checks and the like. Don't expect to fill out an application and get one the next day, and don't expect to get one at all without a damn good reason.

Liquor store owners can get them, as well, but I do not think they're going to offer any permits for people who want one in case of theoretical adventures in the ghetto.

I've been through some of NYC's "worst" areas, and this is my assessment:

Most overrated (or rather, underrated) neighborhood:

the South Bronx. It's come a long way from the Fort Apache days for sure. I've toured this neighborhood extensively on foot, neglecting only the far southwest area of Highbridge and never had a single problem.
    From my estimation, the Tremont neighborhood and Mott Haven still maintain a tangible edge and a distinct possibility of violence and crime. Longwood, in particular, has really improved from its days as ground zero in the South Bronx tragedy. The northern areas of the Grand Concourse north of the Cross Bronx also is pretty hectic in the evening.

Soundview, though not part of the official South Bronx has a thriving drug culture. Best avoided unless you've got a reason to be there.

In Manhattan, Washington Heights is another spot that's gotten plenty of bad press in the past but is a thriving community these days. Still, the northern half of the neighborhood (Above, say 178th st.) is definitely shadier and has a higher crime rate.

Central Harlem north of 125th can still be pretty rough, especially near the projects.

East harlem has also improved drastically, though the ubiquitous projects running up Madison (and just about every other ave.) still flare up from time to time with spillover on to the surrounding streets. Nonetheless, from the days when E. 100th St. was one of Manhattan's worst ghettos, it's come a long way.

For me, the crown Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant areas of Brooklyn have the most tangible edginess to them. Although these are beautiful neighborhoods with historic brownstones and mostly good, hard-working residents, there still is a pretty bad drug scene and a high violent crime rate. I've never felt as uncomfortable walking through any "ghetto" neighborhood in NYC as I did through these. Of course, the homogeneity of the neighborhood means that those outside the normal demographic attract more attention and can be targeted for crime based on their outsider status. This may not be the rule, but it does happen. I know I got a lot of looks from the youths chilling around St. John and Franklin.

Still, nothing bad has happened to me in any of these neighborhoods, even though they currently have some of the highest crime rates in NYC.

In my opinion (though I've never been there), Brownsville and ENY are potentially the worst areas of the city. There are plenty of reasons why.

BL, BC

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    Queensbridge houses are the worst in the city
    They are also the biggest in America. I wonder if NYC ever tries a Chicago-style project in replacing them with better designed housing?

Chicago is getting rid of the urban nightmare know as Cabrini-Green.

It would be nice to see Queensbridge replace by some townhouses.
    Last edited by OmegaNYC; September 11th, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Lights, Big City View Post
    For me, the crown Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant areas of Brooklyn have the most tangible edginess to them. Although these are beautiful neighborhoods with historic brownstones and mostly good, hard-working residents, there still is a pretty bad drug scene and a high violent crime rate. I've never felt as uncomfortable walking through any "ghetto" neighborhood in NYC as I did through these. Of course, the homogeneity of the neighborhood means that those outside the normal demographic attract more attention and can be targeted for crime based on their outsider status. This may not be the rule, but it does happen. I know I got a lot of looks from the youths chilling around St. John and Franklin.

Still, nothing bad has happened to me in any of these neighborhoods, even though they currently have some of the highest crime rates in NYC.

In my opinion (though I've never been there), Brownsville and ENY are potentially the worst areas of the city. There are plenty of reasons why.
    As a native brooklynite, I'm very much in agreement. I would add east flatbush as well-next door to crown heights-not quite as crime ridden as CH, but still a grimy area. I passed thorough East Flatbush quickly on a cold evening w/ a white female friend and got some looks but got through safely--lucky?

http://www.redorbit.com/news/odditie...rce=r_oddities

speaking of guns/bad neighbourhoods, looky here:

And she's a good law-abiding citizen -- got herself a LICENSED gun:
    ... when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the wheelchair-bound 56-year-old pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Lights, Big City View Post
    In Manhattan, Washington Heights is another spot that's gotten plenty of bad press in the past but is a thriving community these days. Still, the northern half of the neighborhood (Above, say 178th st.) is definitely shadier and has a higher crime rate.
    The northern half of WashHgt goes up to Dyckman. Not sure which part to the northern half you've been to (sounds like you stopped at the bus terminal) but you obviously missed... northern High Bridge Park, 181st St shopping zone, Ft. George curve, Ft. Tryon Park (Cloisters, etc.), the Greenway (crumbling retaining wall, et. al.), Bennett & Hood Wright Parks, and of course all of the vibrant people and interesting buildings in-between.

I know nothing about the crime rates in the neighborhood, their historical trends, or how they measure up with other neighborhoods. My biggest complaint is against the motorcyclists AND drivers who drag-race up and down the Henry Hudson from dusk to 3 or 4 in the morning. New York's Finest seem unable to control this, despite years of complaints by the neighborhood.

Despite this, for those of us who have actually been to (or live in) northern WashHgt, your assessment - "definitely shadier" -- is definitely flawed.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4084
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6263
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4260
    http://www.seroy.com/sys-tmpl/scrapbook2/

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast